Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 02-16-2023, 04:45 PM

Default Problem Getting the Demo Started

I get prompted with a license screen and there's no button for demo. Even if I type my credentials in, I can't get into the software.

What can I do about this?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:44 PM

Default Ok, How About This?

I was previously using Reaper but the plugins didn't sound right-None of them; If I purchase PT but I get the same result, what's AVID's policy on refunds?
Old 02-16-2023, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Ok, How About This?

You can play with the free version of Pro Tools Intro. It is capable of running all AAX plugins all the other versions run (but does not include by default all the same plugins other versions include). It's the same exact binaries and same exact plugins running in all cases.

You can also subscribe to any other higher-end version of Pro Tools month by month, in which case you will be out one month of subscription payment.

But if you think plugins don't "sound right" in Reaper *for all plugins* you are doing something wrong and will likely be disappointed with all DAWs. Maybe you should jump on a Reaper forum and try to get help for what you are doing, with what exact plugins and what "sounds wrong" to you. Reaper is a fantastic DAW and it will not just get stuff "wrong", especially for *all plugins*.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:09 PM

I've just started a thread explaining that the demo I've just installed will not let me start because it prompts me about a license. Many have already clicked on my thread but no replies yet.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:21 PM

What do you want other users here to do when you provide no information about what you are going, what you are running on etc. Not a clue what version of Pro Tools you are trying to use, etc.... just nothing. And there is no product "demo" so that does not help to explain what you are talking about, I assume now you mean "Pro Tools Intro". Please read "Help us Help you" up the top of each DUC web page and in future provide the info asked for there.

But as a possible outline here: you need to activate your Intro licenses, installing the iLok base license key onto your computer. You should be following instructions on how to get started (I have no idea where they are for Intro). If you have requested an intro license already you can run the iLok License Manager (ILM) installed with Pro Tools and see of there is an Intro license sitting in your Account and drag that to your computer inside ILM. It's not uncommon for people to provide wrong account names or email addresses and so send the licenses to the wrong iLok account.

But as I tried to say above, if you are unhappy with something about Reaper plugin sounds you are not likely to be happy with Pro Tools or any other DAW.

Edit: Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkBotcFWRw. (Just start here for simplicity even though there are better ways that avoid using Avid Link).

If you need more help here describe exactly what you are doing and exactly what is not working, provide all the stuff asked for under the Help us help you link, including a SiSoft Sandra report since you are running Windows.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Problem Getting the Demo Started

This question dealt with at https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...=1#post2662178
Old 02-16-2023, 07:32 PM

And since you are running Windows, and provide no info about your setup.... you really need an ASIO interface, hopefully you have that already. And by ASIO interface I mean an audio interface with a vendor provided ASIO driver. Don't listen to anybody suggesting using ASIO4ALL or WASAPI you should be setting yourself up for success with an real ASIO interface.

Ironically Reaper is a DAW with maybe the best/most flexible interface support on Windows, including WASAPI interface support that seems far far ahead of What Pro Tools claims (and I would ignore).
Old 02-16-2023, 07:51 PM

Windows 10 and I'm (trying to) use Pro Tools Ultimate. I guess it's the most recent version. Maybe "trial version" and not demo would be the proper term.

I've actually tried clicking on it again and it says I need the license installer from iLok.com.

I have no idea what's going on here.

I do have ASIO4ALL.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:39 PM

You should just install Pro Tools Intro. It's all the same binary, the same plugins. You don't need Ultimate (and I thought that demo was no longer available, but could be wrong). Follow the instructions in the video exactly.

You tried clicking on *exactly* what? And what *exactly* was the error message? The pace iLok software is installed along with Pro Tools, so not clear what message you are getting/why. You will get licensing warnings about needing to Activate/needing a Pro Tools license if one has not been installed on the PC (in the case of Intro. or in the case of Ultimate provisioned to a physical iLok dongle or iLok cloud).

Nobody here can magically guess what you are exactly doing, so again if you need more help include exactly what you are doing/have done and what exactly is not working.

But as already said if you are using ASIO4ALL and don't have an actual ASIO interface I'd give up. So I'd be going back to Reaper and try to sort out what you maybe are doing wrong/how to change that if everything sounds bad to you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-16-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedMortality View Post
the plugins didn't sound right-None of them;

Plugins in the right hands will sound right in any DAW.
Conversely; Plugins in the wrong hands will sound wrong in any DAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But as I tried to say above, if you are unhappy with something about Reaper plugin sounds you are not likely to be happy with Pro Tools or any other DAW.

This /\ /\

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O