How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Default Help ! Selection from PT 11.1.2 is offset from the grid and waveforms

Hi everyone ! First post here :)

I'm having an infuriating issue and I think it's a bug but I want to make sure it's not user error.

Basically when I go to select a region or click to place the cursor some place, the actual selection happens next to it rather than on the spot. It make editing and punching in hell since I have to guess where my real point is. So it seems the mouse and selector don't recognize the grid and waveforms.

Even stranger, this is much more pronounced further along in the song. The first few bars seem ok-ish!

Anyone else having this issue ?

Any help would be appreciated !
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Help ! Selection from PT 11.1.2 is offset from the grid and waveforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
Hi everyone ! First post here :)

I'm having an infuriating issue and I think it's a bug but I want to make sure it's not user error.

Basically when I go to select a region or click to place the cursor some place, the actual selection happens next to it rather than on the spot. It make editing and punching in hell since I have to guess where my real point is. So it seems the mouse and selector don't recognize the grid and waveforms.

Even stranger, this is much more pronounced further along in the song. The first few bars seem ok-ish!

Anyone else having this issue ?

Any help would be appreciated !
Hi and Welcome to the Community

Do you have any of the Edit follows timeline selected under "options" menu in Pro Tools. Sorry I can't remember which one it is right now as i am not in the studio but there are a few of those settings to check and un-check so look into that and let us know what you find

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-25-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Help ! Selection from PT 11.1.2 is offset from the grid and waveforms

Quote:
the actual selection happens next to it rather than on the spot.
Quote:
this is much more pronounced further along in the song. The first few bars seem ok-ish!
actually seems like a tempo setting prob.
it sounds like the cursor is dropping on a grid,
just not one he feels is correct.

either the tempo got changed from the original
(or conductor got toggled from manual tempo, or vice versa)

or, less likely, the song is free style (no clic) and and he mistakenly has it set to grid.

either way, that would explain why it it gets further off down the timeline...
e
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post

or, less likely, the song is free style (no clic) and and he mistakenly has it set to grid.

e
This is another possibility and maybe the song is quantized wrong and the slip/clip is wrong settings.

There might be several things that need attention

Please post back with more detailed explanation and how ypur settings are under slip/grid and if you have recorded to a click track and quantize or just fre styled the recording

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 PM

He also might be in Relative Grid instead of just Grid?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi and Welcome to the Community

Do you have any of the Edit follows timeline selected under "options" menu in Pro Tools. Sorry I can't remember which one it is right now as i am not in the studio but there are a few of those settings to check and un-check so look into that and let us know what you find

Best Regards
Christopher
Thanks for the warm welcome and helping out ! I'm actually in a drum tracking session right now all week so I'll do my best to provide as much info as I can (but I may be sporadic). It's a bit hard to really explain what's going on but hopefully by answering your questions it will make things clearer.

I'm starting from scratch so there is no audio yet in the sessions. Even on a blank track the "glitch" occurs. I've quit PT, restarted, made sessions from templates and blank. I tried PT 10 and it's fine there.

The only options I have checked off in the options menu are link timeline and edit selection which I know well and is pretty standard. I toggled it with no change. The other one which I've never seen before is the Automation follows edit option. But nothing changes regardless of wether the button is orange, blue or off.

I'll get to your other questions as quickly as possible- it's tough to edit drums on the fly while the cursor lands to my right.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post

e
Yeah that's what I figured too. The issue occurs in all five edit modes including slip. It's also happening wether I've got the conductor on or off, either way the cursor lands to the right of my mouse (I've had a similar problem where plug in buttons weren't registering and I had to click next to them to turn the buttons).

The song is being recorded to a click set manual (no conductor)

Thanks the time guys!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
This is another possibility and maybe the song is quantized wrong and the slip/clip is wrong settings.

There might be several things that need attention

Please post back with more detailed explanation and how ypur settings are under slip/grid and if you have recorded to a click track and quantize or just fre styled the recording

Best
Christopher
No quantizing as this is the initial pass, even with no audio in the track in a blank session the cursor appears to the right of my click.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
He also might be in Relative Grid instead of just Grid?

Cheers,
I tried it but unfortunately the issue occurs with all edit modes.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 PM

I might be way off here but do you happen to have Delay Comp on or LLM on by mistake as this sounds very odd to me. What is your buffer size set to?

Also if you open up a fresh session at 48 and 24 or 32 bit float is it behaving the same then aswell? Does this happen on the whole timeline or just at one spot?

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————