Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Pro Tools not quitting properly, still active in Task Manager.

This is frustrating, when exiting a Pro Tools session, ProTools.exe*32 is still running in Task Manager, and no matter how many times I try, I CANT end the damn process...

Any clues as to why that is? I suspect this is the reason I'm having issues changing sample rates between sessions with my Focusrite Saffire interface.

EDIT: Okay, five minutes later and the Process has gone from Task Manager, but why does it take so damn long?!

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 06-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not quitting properly, still active in Task Manager.

What exact PT version?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 AM

10.1.2 if that helps.

I quite frequently see a pop-up box with "Pro Tools did not shut down correctly, you need to restart your computer"

All because I can't end the process in task manager, I have to restart. Infuriating!

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 AM

It's an issue with failed ASIO drivers not releasing in x64 Win7. It happens with Sonar X1 as well. It keeps the program hung. You have two options, reboot or just wait the 4-5 minutes it takes Windows to figure out it has a failed process and it will clear on its own.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
It's an issue with failed ASIO drivers not releasing in x64 Win7. It happens with Sonar X1 as well. It keeps the program hung. You have two options, reboot or just wait the 4-5 minutes it takes Windows to figure out it has a failed process and it will clear on its own.
Thanks, at least I know what's causing it. I'm about to do a complete reformat anyway thanks to Avid's latest 'update', so we'll see if the issue still occurs there.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the Liquid Mix. I have the same problem. When using the Liquid Mix in a session, closing PT and the process still in the Task Manager. When I don't use de Liquid Mix in a session the problem doesn't occure.

I have sent an email to Focusrite Support. They say it's an known issue with the Liquid Mix, but because the Liquid Mix is end-of-life (or will be soon) they don't gonna fix it!

I've tries some utilities to kill the process, but without any succes. I have to reboot or wait for 5 minutes.

Best regards,
Milko
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milko71 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the Liquid Mix. I have the same problem. When using the Liquid Mix in a session, closing PT and the process still in the Task Manager. When I don't use de Liquid Mix in a session the problem doesn't occure.

I have sent an email to Focusrite Support. They say it's an known issue with the Liquid Mix, but because the Liquid Mix is end-of-life (or will be soon) they don't gonna fix it!

I've tries some utilities to kill the process, but without any succes. I have to reboot or wait for 5 minutes.

Best regards,
Milko
Ah so that's what it is! Thanks Milko!

Out of curiosity, do you know if the older versions of Liquid Mix have the same problem? I might try a few of those and see if it works better. Such a shame it's at the end of it's life, it's a great little unit!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM

hi,

i'm not sure that it's a driver problem. it didn't seem to be in my case because it would happen whether i was using ASIO or my 002.

in my case the problem completely disappeared when i updated to 10.2...hasn't happened since.

regards,
marco
Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamsh View Post
Ah so that's what it is! Thanks Milko!

Out of curiosity, do you know if the older versions of Liquid Mix have the same problem? I might try a few of those and see if it works better. Such a shame it's at the end of it's life, it's a great little unit!
I tried version 3.0 and version 2.3.16 of Liquid Mix. I have the problem in both versions!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:51 AM

I got the same problem. Bug report?