Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Eleven Rack window responds to changes on Eleven Rack, unable to record.

I've been unable to find a solution to my problem on the many, many threads related to similar issues. Hopefully someone can help me out.

In System Preferences, the Avid Eleven Rack page says "device not connected". However, when I open Pro Tools, the Eleven Rack immediately opens and responds to Rig changes, volumes changes, level changes on bass, treble, gain etc. The Eleven Rack does not show up as a device in the "Audio MIDI Setup" Utility. I am unable to record my guitar through the Eleven Rack. My only option is the built in Microphone.

I've checked and rechecked that my software and drivers are up to date. I have tried multiple USB cables and all of my USB ports. I have tried multiple sequences of turning the Eleven Rack and Pro Tools on and off, when to plug the Eleven Rack in during the sequence and rebooting the whole computer. I have exhausted every solution I've been able to find through this forum, google searches, YouTube videos. It's likely a simple solution, but I'm new to Pro Tools and Eleven Rack so please, someone help out.

My details are in my profile, but here they are again just in case...

MacBook Air 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Mac OS X Version 10.7.4

Eleven Rack Version 2.0.1
Build 0.1.5.7
Software Version 1.0.5

Pro Tools 10.2.0 (came with the purchase of the Eleven Rack, software download and iLok)

The Eleven Rack works perfectly through my powered monitors, and in live situations. As a stand alone unit, I have no issues. My only issues are getting it to work with Pro Tools so i can record. Which was the whole point of purchasing the unit. Otherwise, I could have just bought a simple combo amp and pedals and avoided the headaches.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack window responds to changes on Eleven Rack, unable to record.

I would re-install the drivers anyway, can't hurt.

I,m on PC and am Mac illiterate so can't be of any more help.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 PM

I agree. Reinstall. Make sure to remove any traces of the drivers and reinstall. I think the editor and the actual DSP of the 11R are separate. This Allows you to use the editor while using another interface. Sounds like it did not install correctly. If I remember correctly, prior to installing it I plugged mine in and was able to access the editor without installing the drivers.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack window responds to changes on Eleven Rack, unable to record.

As others have pointed out the Eleven Rack control panel functionality (implemented via MIDI over USB) within Pro Tools is completely separate to its operation as an audio interface.

Trying all the things you probably have already are good, here is a full list of what I would do (some things will need to get repeated as you do others in a test sequence ) --

Powering off everything.
Trying different power up sequences.
Make sure no other software is running on the Mac.
Removing all unneeded USB devices (as many as possible, remove any hubs etc.)
Trying different USB cables (ideally short ones know to work elsewhere).
Trying different USB ports.
Make sure the Eleven Rack is directly connected, not thorough a USB hub or any USB device with a hub built into it (e.g. display monitor).
If you can - try the Eleven Rack on a different Mac or PC or if you can borrow another Eleven Rack try that on your MB (any retail stores in your area have demo Eleven Racks on display?).
What errors are showing up in System.log?
Remove the device drivers (with the Eleven Rack disconnected manually remove the /System/Library/Extensions/DigidesignElevenRack.kext extension, reboot the Mac) and then reinstall the latest drivers (download a fresh copy).
Were any other USB devices installed? If so remove drivers for them (don't remove the iLok driver however).
Reset the Eleven Rack memory (front panel user config, "reset memory").
Re-burn the latest firmware into the Eleven Rack
Do a clean reinstall of OS X. (esp. if the Eleven Rack works on another computer).

Failing all that you may need to send the unit in to be checked/repaired. Contact Avid over the phone and use the menu item to get to repair (is should be a free call that does not need an ASC).

I hope you have all the other things sorted for using an MB Air with Pro Tools, especially some form of supported external Audio drive (Thunderbolt/Firewire?), and you have done all the other recommended optimizations like disabling spotlight, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. These things are not likely to be related to this current problem.

Darryl
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Re-burn the latest firmware into the Eleven Rack

Darryl
Caution here. I believe that If you purchased an 11r with the expansion pack installed, you cannot re-burn the firmware. If you load the older pre expansion firmware, you would have to purchase the $99 expansion in order to get the latest firmware back on your machine. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure there were a couple of threads on this.
Neil
Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Caution here. I believe that If you purchased an 11r with the expansion pack installed, you cannot re-burn the firmware. If you load the older pre expansion firmware, you would have to purchase the $99 expansion in order to get the latest firmware back on your machine. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure there were a couple of threads on this.
Neil
Yes that could be annoying. There was definite sloppiness around how the expansion pack was rolled out and the number of silly problems experienced. This another lingering hassle. Its going to be interesting how future upgrades (if any, sigh...) will be done. The ERXP files could just have been dropped in the user accounts for folks who purchase the current Eleven Rack.

Darryl
Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone! Much appreciated. And I seem to have my issue solved.

I tried re-installing the Eleven Rack Driver. A new update was just posted yesterday on the Avid site. It worked in having the page in System Preferences show the device was connected. I was also able to record but the playback was full of distortion and interference. The playback wasn't consistent. So then I uninstalled Eleven Rack with the uninstall application and manually uninstalled the .kext file, as Daryl suggested. I then reinstalled the driver again and it seems that everything is working fine. I was able to record my tracks using the various paths available (main out stereo, raw guitar signal using the guitar in channel) and send playback through the Eleven Rack. So now I can hook everything through my monitors and practice, record and listen through the same speakers. It's a nice relief to know that it was simply a driver issue and not a problem with the device itself. I really didn't want to have to send it in to be repaired.

Thanks again for all the help!

An interesting note, after the first time when I re-installed without uninstalling, I tried resetting the system memory on the Eleven Rack. That made the device no longer recognized as connected. So at first it was connected and I could record but with bad sound quality. Then resetting the system memory on the Eleven Rack caused it to no longer be connected. So that's when I uninstalled everything and and re-installed. Not sure why that happened, but that seemed strange to me. I'm really happy to have it working now though.