Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2020, 10:12 PM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I have never despised a companies business practices and customer philosophy more than Avids.
You are right, Avid doesn't make it easy for their users to feel sympathy for their pricing policy. Competition in the market is tough and companies need to maintain the cash flow to stay afloat. That's one of the reasons why so many companies turn to subscription models. How else do you convince users to pay for upgrades of a mature application with little groundbreaking innovation?

We as users like to support the developers who create those cool apps, where it gets complicated is when bean counters and management enter the scene and hurting the product, plus alienate the customer base with questionable pricing decisions.

For example, charging for additional voices just feels "nickel-and-diming" and I wonder if the financial situation at Avid is that bad that they need that extra bucks.
But, in the end, I'm sure we all don't want to see Avid go belly-up and being sold to Gibson.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 PM

If the "industry standard" is so erratic that it can't even be counted on to operate properly, maybe the time to move on was long ago. What else can you say about a "professional" product that you need to upgrade just to be sure you have a working version? That is not acceptable in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No, but problem with PT may cost you allnof tour business so therefore analogy holds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2020, 11:13 PM

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Reaper? Is it even comparable to Pro Tools?

Old 12-07-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJo View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Reaper? Is it even comparable to Pro Tools?

(Google translate :)

Changing DAWs is really a long adventure, at least for me. I learned about PT and I have been familiar with Cubase for 3 or 4 years, but always with the regret of not having kept only one DAW. But it was impossible for me. I need my Melodyne and therefore to browse freely thanks to ARA. I need, in MIDI, expression maps. I need the macros. I need multiple marker tracks, and higher, visually richer tracks. I need auto solo on selected track I need my Softube Console 1 and Console fader. PT is not far away, Avid could develop that, but it's silence.

I bought and tried Reaper for 1 month, really trying to see its qualities. There are many and we discover extraordinary elements. But I got discouraged. The door is so open that you lose your orientation, I think. It's like we have to redo a DAW for ourselves. I do not have time.

I tried Studio One, but I hate the interface. It's silly, but it bothers me, especially the mixer. I feel like I'm in a game. And there's not enough contrast between the different elements (the menu and the edit space, things like that). It is not for me, despite the qualities we are talking about. If I'm 8 hours a day in front of a Daw ...

I bought and used Samplitude for 3 months. There, too, there are some incredible elements. First, monitoring, unbeatable. I also find that the audio processing is better, the VST prints are superior, and especially that the audio recordings are superior. I don't know why and I don't want to start a war over it. But, anyway, Samplitude is filled with bugs and inconsistencies, it's an endless maze of detours and subcategories, with unclear functions and functional quirks that put me off.

So Cubase won. The biggest lack of Cubase is the gain clip. It's hard to live without a gain clip! I don't understand Steinberg to ignore this. Also some stupidities in the interface, like elevators as thin as a pin. But hey, we adapt, because Cubase offers a lot, with relatively few bugs. I honestly find that its monitoring (without being Samplitude) is superior to PT, at least to PT Vanilla. It is also more robust in resource management.

Still, PT has considerable advantages. Even on the MIDI side, where its reputation is bad, it is very good, especially in real time and in terms of tempo and measures. I really like. But overall, he does not offer enough and has sat down on his position. I would have liked so much ....
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com

Last edited by cmbourget; 12-07-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
You are right, Avid doesn't make it easy for their users to feel sympathy for their pricing policy. Competition in the market is tough and companies need to maintain the cash flow to stay afloat. That's one of the reasons why so many companies turn to subscription models. How else do you convince users to pay for upgrades of a mature application with little groundbreaking innovation?

We as users like to support the developers who create those cool apps, where it gets complicated is when bean counters and management enter the scene and hurting the product, plus alienate the customer base with questionable pricing decisions.

For example, charging for additional voices just feels "nickel-and-diming" and I wonder if the financial situation at Avid is that bad that they need that extra bucks.
But, in the end, I'm sure we all don't want to see Avid go belly-up and being sold to Gibson.
Just think of the Avid plug-ins, paid at high prices, unusable outside Pro Tools, because without a VST version ...

• Etc.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you need your car occasionally, you have no problem paying 1k yearly for car insurance. But you have a problem paying 260 for PT renewal, so it just means you don't need PT
that would mean ... if, for whatever reason, I no longer pay or can no longer pay for the insurance, I will no longer be able to drive my car in the future, unless I pay the full purchase price again

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 12-07-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
The update plan with the threatening that you can no longer update if you let it lapse does only harm.

If I have financial problems and can’t pay for the plan one year, I would have to purchase a whole new pro tools license of I want to update. It’s just nuts.

The logic, my logic would be is to happily pay 200$ for an year of updates. So simple and effective.
Exactly. I was dithering about renewing earlier this year but I figured the $200 spent was cheaper than having to buy a whole new license at $600 if I skip a year. I don't have a crystal ball and had no idea what was coming in PT 2020.11 but given what's in there I'm glad I renewed. The only thing that would make me get of the renewal train is if newer versions of PT won't run on my current system.

QAPLA!
Old 12-07-2020, 06:13 AM

JFreak, if you were to bet on one or two next PT releases in 2021, what could you expect?

• Etc.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
JFreak, if you were to bet on one or two next PT releases in 2021, what could you expect?
I would expect a release in Q1 but without full Big Sur compatibility. Perhaps support for Intel hardware, but not Apple Silicon. Would also expect the problems with Catalina compatibility be mostly tackled, and if so, the second release of 2021 may very well support Apple Silicon hardware.

Sadly, my expectations regarding new features are pretty low because this Apple Silicon transition is so huge and ties lot of resources. Would like to be surprised though, will see about that later. Point being my best guess is Avid is putting most resources to get Apple Silicon supported before end of Q2.

Avid's problem here is Apple Silicon hardware is moving target. Yes there are first models for sale, but those are not yet pro hardware. Nobody knows when Apple releases next Apple Silicon hardware, or if those are worthy of professional use. That's why I am thinking target for Apple Siiicon support is second release of 2021 in Q2.

Just an educated guess though. I have absolultely no inside information about this.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:36 AM

"So, no renewal. We stay at 2020."

Agreed.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411357

Avid better show some ❤️ to customers like us or else wave goodbye to a whole load more $$$.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6