Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 05:28 PM

Default MIDI pinch hitter

I won't go into the whole MIDI thing here as it's been beat to death already... I like PT for audio. I am going to stay with it... But...

Bottom line: If I want notation, good filtering/channeling, bank/patch names and decent sysex storage/setup anytime before next summer (if even then) I am going to HAVE to use a third party program with PT for now.

So, without bashing PT here (I look forward to improved MIDI support from within PT someday) what recommendations can DUC'ers offer? Surely someone is using PT for audio and something else on another computer for sequencing?

Mainly, I want to be able to easily organize entire configurations with sysex bulk dumps, be able to batch edit certain types of MIDI events that fall within a certain range, and of course notation.

When I say batch edit, I mean for example let me change every note with a velocity greater than or less than a value, or split out every note within a certain note range, etc.

I would prefer to set tempo in PT and have the sequencer follow tempo changes from the conductor, I think.

It also occured to me that this approach would allow simultaneous viewing/editing of MIDI and audio data (two screens) as well as free up resources for PT by not relying on PT for MIDI.

What do you think?
Old 10-08-2002, 08:36 PM

Default Re: MIDI pinch hitter

What do you guys do for notation? Export MIDI files to another program?

Hey... I'm not complaining here. Is there no one that cares about patch names and notation? Should I use Sonar, Acid, Cuebase... what? I don't care about the ausio portion, only the MIDI. Anybody still make just a kick a** MIDI sequencer without audio?

Peter? Roy? Phil? BRB? All you guys use PT MIDI exclusively? None of you do notation? None of you find [no] patch names a PITA?
Old 10-08-2002, 09:17 PM

Hi Steve...
While I would like notation with PT (and have said so), I rarely need it really. When I produce singers, I hand them a lyric sheet and sing the basic idea to them. They are pros and can take it from there, usually with minimal direction.
I used to have notation with an old software called Vision by Opcode (using a small Mac), and while it was cool to see it work, it never became useful. (I think Soundsurfr had the same software).
And on the program names, I used to keep a clipboard with my program names/#'s out and visible by my pc, but it's long been gone, because I have most of them memorized now.
But man, I only use one Korg with about 200 programs. I imagine it would be a bitch for you guys with 2 or more Midi devices. So, a program name list would especially be welcome for you guys, I bet.
Oh yeah, I do all my Midi within PT, with no problems.

~Roy
Old 10-08-2002, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Roy, I know you've had your hands/ears busy.

Yeah, my problem is the K2000 alone has close to 600 programs plus thousands more on disk. Then there's all the other MIDI devices, including guitar and F/x processors. Patch names are something I was used to. It's like trying to go back to b/w tv. Once you've had it...

As for notation, it seems like a good idea to me for complete copyright protection, among other things. For some reason it also helps me to 'visualize' arrangements.

Mind you I'm not a great sight reader. Kind of ironic I guess...

As for the Midi processing, while it doesn't come up alot it is again something I was used to having. I admit I'm still green at some of PT's MIDI features.

Sysex, though possible in PT is a chore. A good librarian function can save or restore an entire MIDI setup at the beginning of a song or set. This is a very important feature for me.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:33 PM

Going, going....
Old 10-09-2002, 06:37 PM

I bought Sonar for all the midi stuff and softsynths with low latency even after i had purchased my beloved Digi 001 <best thing to happen to the the home studio dudes since I got the original roland 880)
I do my midi drums and bass in sonar with sample tank and all my real guitars and vocals in protools.
Anyways sonar has all that notation stuff built in.If I had a choice I would do everything on my Digi 001,cause I am so used to the software,but I am slowly learning Sonars advanced features.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:22 AM

Writing and editing midi is so much better than in PT. Simply put, each piano exists within its own window that can be collapsed, expanded, or scrolled as you see fit. Also the select, copy, and paste (what do want? I make tekno) features in sonar are a lot friendlier than in PT. Technically speaking, PT should be able to handle my midi needs when it is working properly. But I find working with the midi editing tools in the edit window to be overly laborious. Hence I use sonar for easy writing and import a .mid file into PT for auditioning.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:53 PM

Well, Sonar must be nice... as I've said I'm happy with PT, just enlarging or zooming any Midi track and doing any editing right there. But, as has been said, to each his own, and even if it just makes you feel more creative, it's gotta be a good thing... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]