Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-07-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Re: legacy PACE License Support crashes Windows 10, couldn't install Pro Tools 11 (RE

I am trying to install the 11R Editor in W10 build 2004. The problem sounds to be identical. If I install the Editor in W10 build 1909, it works fine. But when I upgrade to Build 2004, Windows crashes and fortunately, I am able to recover back to build 1909 with nothing lost.

If I upgrade to build 2004 without having the Editor and the legacy PACE/ iLok license installed, the upgrade works properly. Then the install of the Editor seems to go well and requests a reboot. As soon as the reboot occurs, Windows crashes, but I am able to remove the upgrade and return to build 1909.

Does it seem I should be able to install the 5.2.1 license and avoid the older license? Maybe do that while still in Windows 1909, then upgrade to Build 2004? Then look at the installed programs to ensure the 5.2.1 version is there and not the legacy one?

However it seems the 11R Editor would have been written at the same time it was removed from ProTools, so why wouldn't it have the newer license?

Thanks!

UPDATE: While in W10 build 1909, I updated the PACE license to version 5.3.0.3277 (64 bit). I then installed the update to W10 build 2004 and it was successful. Amazing!! Prior to the license update, the W10 upgrade failed four or five times, which was a lot of hours. And all I did was install the new iLok Manager. Doing so removed the existing older license.

Thank you again!!

Last edited by frankpc; 09-07-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: updated results of new license
Old 09-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Default Re: legacy PACE License Support crashes Windows 10, couldn't install Pro Tools 11 (RE

Hello,

Encountering a very similar issue issue with a fresh install of:
- Pro Tools 10
- InterLok Driver ("Old" or "Legacy driver")
- Windows 10 Build 2004

After some digging, here's what I found:
1. Pro Tools 10 itself works with the new iLok driver, but most plugins (including Avid Virtual instruments and most essential plugins) only work with the legacy iLok driver (otherwise you got privilege errors on Pro Tools 10 startup)
2. On Windows 10 Build 2004, installation legacy iLok driver cause a failed boot which forces to use a Windows restore point. Either it causes a BSOD pointing to Tpkd.sys or just fails to boot and restarts in troubleshooting mode. Note that if you have the BSOD issue and no restore point, you can also rename the file with command-line in Windows troubleshooting mode. You need to basically do these commands: c: ; cd Windows\System32\drivers ; ren Tpkd.sys tpkd.junk

I've tried installing the old driver, then the legacy driver, tried installing with Win 7 compatibility... But in the end, it seems like there is no way to boot with the legacy driver at the moment.

frankpc says installing the driver BEFORE updating Windows works for them. If this is confirmed, then there must be a way to manually correct what's missing upon installing Legacy iLok directly from Build 2004.

I'm totally stuck, we need a genius move from a power user, or a fix either from either iLok or Microsoft.

Any hint or help is appreciated, I cannot make music anymore at the moment.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:01 AM

Thank you for the advice UB.

I have no plugins. I just have the 11R with the newest firmware and the expansion pack.

I understand and appreciate the miserable time you've had with this. I reinstalled W10 several times. And I got the BSOD close to the same number.

I hope others read your post before they attempt to install plugins.

One question comes to mind. If after you installed the plugins, but before you rebooted, couldn't you look to see which version of PACE and iLok was installed? And if it wasn't the newest, couldn't you delete/replace it? That wouldn't make the plugin run, but it would prevent W10 from failing to reboot, right?

Again, thank you for your hard work on this and your desire to make it work.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM

Thanks for following/backing up.

In fact, even default ProTools plugins cause issues, so on my last attempt, I didn't even install any plugin other than the ones bundled with my Pro Tools 10 installer.

Here is the install processes I attempted:

- Using Pro Tools 10 setup.exe
Will install an old legacy iLok driver which comes bundled with ProTools, causing BSOD after asking to reboot
In this case, PACE License version is 2.2.1, we can see it from the folder inside Pro Tools installer:
Pro_Tools_10_3_10_Win_84130\Pro Tools\Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\PACE License Support 2.2.1

- Installing the latest "License Support Win64.exe" from ilok.com & "Avid Pro Tools.msi" from ProTools 10.3.10 installer
Won't cause BSOD to start protools, but most plugins won't work, with permission errors, the exact message being (Window title: "Initialization Error") "User privileges insufficient to start a low level driver."

In this case, PACE version is not documented as far as I know, it's the latest one which comes from the ilok.com website, located in: \LicenseSupportInstallerWin64_v5.3.0_149bf8924e\Ol d Installers

And if you then install "InterLok Driver Setup Win64.exe" from "Old Installers" provided by iLok afterwards, then you're going back to system crash on boot.

Also note that I've disabled Windows antivirus entirely using Local Group Policy, to make sure it wasn't blocking anything.

At this point, I think we need to make iLok aware of the issue.
Anybody knows how to reach them? Couldn't find a contact form on their website, so I've attempted a tweet. https://twitter.com/UltimateByte/sta...86860273176577 I'm affraid they're non reponsive on social network.

Last edited by UltimateByte; 09-16-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 PM

oh wow...

I did get ProTools with my 11R. I bought the 11R about a month ago and it was brand new. Box had never been opened. Protools came with a dongle which was sealed. I hadn't attempted to install it yet since i didn't know how to deal with the dongle and after reading that the dongle is no longer used. I don't know what version ProTools is, but assume it would be the newest.

Now I really don't know whether I should install it or not. I have 'this' PC with Windows 2004 working well with lots of programs and I really don't want to risk losing this. I have been restoring it from an SSD crash.

Maybe I could install ProTools on another drive with nothing on it to see what happens.

Again, thank you for risking all to get this thing to work. It is disappointing that Avid and iLok won't help out. I could see no convenient way to contact iLok.

For what it's worth: iLok Account Service <[email protected]>
Old 09-17-2020, 09:22 AM

" I bought the 11R about a month ago"
See if you can still get a refund or if it's too late (chances are it is too late) sell it off on ebay or something.

" I have been restoring it from an SSD crash."
Hope you didn't lose too much! For my part, I went for a fresh install after upgrading to an NVME PCIE 4.0 SSD for the OS, and since I had moved from Intel to AMD without reinstalling, I thought it was a good time. Yeah, with a song to release at the end of the month, what a great time. By chance, I still have my old system SSD intact, so if I'm unable to resolve the issue, I will boot off of it just for Pro Tools 10, the time to resolve the issue with the actual new main install.

I'll try to contact the provided mail address when I got some time, thanks.

Last edited by UltimateByte; 09-17-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:34 AM

Found similar issue here and commented: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-2353d6169c5c

Also sent an email to iLok, hoping they follow this mailbox.

Best regards
Old 09-19-2020, 05:37 AM

Interesting !!!

i hope iLok responds to this. Although it seems they will not.

I bought the 11R on eBay. The person bought two of them years ago but never used them. So neither had been opened.

I lost pretty much everything from the crashed SSD. Although I have been using iDrive for a couple of years, so the files were there. But to restore half a TB from iDrive would have taken over a week if all went well. Crazy!!! I was able to rebuild on a new SSD. But that was painful.

Congratulations on your release in a week or so!!!

I haven't found the tone I wanted. I have a single coil Strat and I'm wanting the raspy sound like in the Doors' Road House Blues. I bought the 11R hoping to find that. But I didn't. But I've been too busy to spend enough time to even learn how to use the 11R. Do you know how to find that sound?

I am hoping you get this fixed!
Old 09-19-2020, 05:47 AM

Thanks. I guess the next tracks i'll mix for that album after the single release will have to get mixed with Reaper if this doesn't get solved very soon. That whole story just made me want to make the step forward to a more standard and open software than Avid's, that is reliable and won't bluescreen your whole computer on boot because of a stupid license issue.

As for your guitar sound, well, that's a bit off topic, but I think you can achieve similar sounds with Guitar Rig (or a good retro amp with a close mic and a room mic), and some fiddling around, some EQ, some slap delay, a mono clear room reverb paned on the right with the guitar, and rock on! Maybe some talk voice in a moderate way if the sound you get is too clean/clear. It sounds great but there's nothing that special with this guitar IMO (retro sounds are usually made of very simple ingredients).

I'll do my best to keep you posted if I get any interesting news from Microsoft or PACE/iLok.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:50 AM

Well, got a main bounce from iLok today. Seems their email server doesn't handle emails.

The response from the remote server was:
454 4.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied

This SMTP error occurs when a destination server isn't properly configured...

And Microsoft... Pointed me to the wrong service so I'm just losing more time.