Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Default Pro Tools 10.2, mbox mini (3rd gen) and Windows 7 SP 1, nothing but problems.

Hello, I am new to using Pro Tools, but well versed in computers and networking. I purchased the mbox mini with Pro Tools 10.2 with hesitation, as I have read about many issues. I was assured it would be a simple plug and play by the sales associate I bought it from considering my system specs, so I took a chance. I have experienced nothing but problems since I purchased this 6 days ago. I started with a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 on my 120 GB SSD, installed the driver to my ilok, had all licenses loaded on. Then installed the driver for the mbox mini, and then I installed Pro Tools 10.2. I attempted to record a guitar track via the mbox mini, no luck. Pro Tools showed nothing coming through via the track. Then I realized that Pro Tools was not playing any sounds at all regardless of what I did. So I repeated the fresh Windows 7 install and fresh Pro Tools install 2 more times. I have checked the playback device (mbox mini), I have tried everything I could find on how to get Pro Tools working on Windows 7 x64. This is my last attempt before I lose my mind at wasting $600 on something that is supposed to be plug and play, easy to use, industry standard, etc etc. Please help! I sincerely hope I am just missing something very silly that will fix my issue. I just want to record a guitar track, be able to monitor the live sound through my computer speakers and playback what I have played. If I can at least start by getting that to work, the rest is learning curve issues and not hardware/software concerns.

Please help me with idiotproof, baby step instructions that will start from a fresh Windows 7 x64 install to the moment I play back the recorded track. I give a very sincere thank you to anyone who can help me out!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM

I know this may seem like an odd question but how are you monitoring playback via your new mbox. Usually if or launches playback will work. Should get an error if problems are detected.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.2, mbox mini (3rd gen) and Windows 7 SP 1, nothing but problems.

I have headphones to monitor through the mbox, and I get sound fine through the mbox. Itvis through PT 10 I have the issue.

For instance, if I start a template such as metal guitar and play the template rock loop, nothing will play through my computer speakers. I was able to open a blank session last night, make a new track, and when I press the record icon in the mix it showed that what I was playing on guitar hooked through the mbox and into the computer via USB was being received by pro tools. I also had delayed sound of what I was playing through my speakers (slower tempo too) in "real time". So I tried to record a riff to see if it would play back. It clearly recorded the riff, but it still would not play back sound through the computer speakers.

I am at work now, but I plan to see if I can hear the play back through the head phones when connected to the mbox. I'm hoping I can, but it still begs the initial question of "how do I get it to play sound through my computer speakers?" I don't have the option on play back devices to select my computer, only my mbox mini or Roland VG-99. Is there something very simple I am just missing? It seems like a user error to me and I just cannot see it for the life of me.

I hope this helps paint a clearer image of what I'm looking for, where my situation is at the moment and possibly what the issue is.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.2, mbox mini (3rd gen) and Windows 7 SP 1, nothing but problems.

When the Mbox is the selected audio engine(in Pro Tools>Setup>Hardware), then the playback will go out via the Mbox and your computer speakers will not work. As bad as computer speakers usually are, I highly recommend a decent set of powered monitors for recording(attached to the Mbox outputs). If you can let us know what you can afford, we can offer some recommendations. You can spend as little as $300, or as much as a new car, but remember a few things here. When it comes to monitors:
you get what you pay for(or DON'T get what you DON'T pay for)
Great speakers can sound bad in a bad room(add acoustic treatment)
If you can't hear accurately, you can't mix properly
Fresh ears matter so listen softly most of the time
Speaker placement can make a huge difference
Computer speakers suck(usually, I have a JBL surround setup on my home PC)
You can get by with low-priced monitors and a good set of phones for checking low end(not ideal, but it can work if you "learn" your system)

So, give a dollar amount you can afford, and describe the room(size, shape and wall/floor) so we can offer some suggestions.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave