Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 AM

Default BIG, MAJOR PROBLEM i7 comp gurus plz help!

Well this morning i went to go bounce an old mpowered session that i had from about 2 years ago, as i went to bounce it, the track got about 2 minutes in. then i began getting system errors, and 9060, 9030, and some 330x error. with no explanation like *increase hardware buffer size in the playback menu*, which is typically what goes along with error numbers.

my system errors were something to the extent of *during bounce, and or attempt to change sessions* "Data corruption on C:/*insert song name/folder here* song name and folder were of the one i was working on.

then when i tried to close pro tools, system froze, and restarted. i was in awe, then when it came time to boot, it booted up the windows 7 i had installed on one of my storage drives from my old computer. me in dismay, i turned off the computer and disconnected that windows 7 drive, and once i reloaded, i get to the, searching dmi or something window past post. and then it says, "system failed to boot from cd/dvd drive, insert setup start disk."

i wasnt trying to boot from the cd drive, fact i had nothing in any of my 3 drives. so i went and looked in the bios after checking all hardware connections, 3 out of 4 drives that i had in there are not being recognized.

unfortunately, i went with the *If you dont have it in 3 places it doesnt exist* rule. and those 3 locations were the 3 drives that are currently not being recognized.

as im talking to you, im typing on my back up rig, with my 4 drives next to me, im going to attempt to test whether or not its the drives that failed, because i hear them spin up, and power on, but the motherboard does not recognize any of them...

please help if any of you know what could be the problem, i will be tinkering with my hdds, and comp all nite so any tips or advice that i could/should try please let me know...

things ive already tried/considered.

1 removing all hd's but one, thats how i found out 3 of the 4 werent working,
2 resetting the bios
3 loading optimized defaults
4 loading fail safe defaults,
5 trying to connect all the drives independently on the sata port that registered one of the 4 drives.
6 and now i will try connecting them to a seperate computer to see if i can access my data and copy it onto here...
7 tried using diff sata/e sata cables.
8 tried loading an xp, vista, and win 7 boot disk, to try and format one of the drives.

i think honestly its the motherboard.

because its not even registering any of the drives now.

it keeps giving me, failed to load from cd/dvd drive

please, shane, guitardom, albee, anybody, somebody, help! i have alot of financial deposits from customers with half there albums done, and if A i cant get the songs back, or B i cant get it up and running FAST, im going to be in BIG DOO DOO!

*just tried out 2 out of 4 harddrives. i forgot that this little itty bitty baby comp, wont and doesnt recognize my tb wd caviar black drive, so im going to try the two others and hope for some success...

i heard the pro tools drive spinning up, but it was making some strange noises, kinda like Nnnnn, Nnnnn, Nnnnn, Nnnnn, in succession. (cant figure out another way to describe the noise) i dont know if it was normal, as my Cooler master Haf, case is quite large, and for the most part quiet *aside from the 6 fans running in it at 4500 rpms..*

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 AM

Default Re: BIG, MAJOR PROBLEM i7 comp gurus plz help!

Hello, I will try to help. First I assume you have a working windows rig up and running like you say. 2. you need to hookup one at a time one of the drives to your good system BUT make sure that the drive will be jumper as a slave drive, that way they will not get into the way of your current boot drive you have running now assuming you drive is set as "master". reply back if you understand.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 AM

Forget what I said about jumpers. I keep forgetting about that with sata drives. Obviously you choose that with the settings in the bios. Do you have an external enclosure?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 AM

well. drives are no longer an issue, i just hooked up all of my drives, *and your kinda right about slave/master with sata, but its just the ports. port 0 is what boots first, so if theres an os on port 3, and 0, the os on port 0 will boot by priority, so you almost had it ;-)*

well i hooked *em* all up, and they are all working and functioning properly. idk if i should go ahead and start copying the files and partitioning the drives, what do you think?

all except the 1 tb pro tools drive i had can be hooked up to my working rig. i have to get a usb enclosure tommorrow for the pro tools drive, and test it like that, but it does SOUND like its booting up, i just have no idea whether or not its fried since i cant test its functionality now...

all i know, is i have about 5 half dead computers lieing around my house *this is actually a customer of mines computer that i rebuilt for him, shhh dont tell him im using it* im going to just build me an internet computer, and completely shut off that one from all networks, and internet access. i cant afford another mess up like this.

im going to dismember my pt rig in the morning, after/if i partition these drives, and hope and pray that nothing is wrong with the MB, or HD's but at least i know i have my data, and ASAP, im heading to Frys *electronics store* and picking up another tb hard drive, for a 4th back up.

do you think the mobo is the problem, if so is it hardware, or can it be fixed.

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 AM

If you get to the desktop start copying right away regardless. What I would do after that is check the health status in the bios and look at the cpu temperature. Did you have the rig on for a long time and then perform the bounce?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 AM

my rig stays on all day, any ways. but i have 6 fans running at 4500 rpms, my comp stays at a cool 38-45 temp, i have 6 temp gauges,
1 cpu,
2 psu
3 ram 1
4 ram 2
5 ram 3
6 hard drive enclosures

the hottest ive ever seen any ofem get is to 49 and that was during my dverb test, and that was the cpu, but thats a given.

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Digi 003 BLA Mod,

Dverb Test - 156

Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 AM

Thats cool!! Just wondering. Great that you follow the 3 backup rule also. Maybe it was just a bad hiccup.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 AM

yea, a bad hiccup, maybe, but we'll see in the morning, i run my studio at home, converted my closet into a sound booth, a grand worth of sound proofing/carpet and bass traps in that booth. its dead silent, so im not too worried about fan noise. but i will be moving to water cooling...

i know my i7 isnt at its top performance, theres alot that still needs to be fixed/changed. for instance, my hd for my os isnt a caviar black like suggested, my bios is out of date, and it does need tons of updates, i have damn near every usb hub occupied *except one used for charging my zune*

theres still alot that needs to go into this system. but ill more then likely be selling it by next year, to some geeky guy for a grand or so, i'd like to build a dual i6 rig next year, givin i got the finances for it, i just mite have to fly shane out here to Cali for a week to help me with it!

lol,

but im glad i havent lost the data. that means my neck wont be rung for losing all my customers albums...

i have about 4 albums in progress, at 1300 per album, with a 50% deposit each, 650 x 4 = 2600 i believe.

i would of been killed or worse by those artists had i lost there data...

unfortunately, i do have casualties, i mastered about 15 songs recently, and hadnt had a chance to copy them to the 3 spots. so i could possibly lose them, but im not sure yet. we'll see once i can access my PT drive.

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Digi 003 BLA Mod,

Dverb Test - 156