Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 AM

Default midi writing in \"staff\" view (stave)

Hi,

I would like to be able to write midi in PT in "staff" view. I took the word from my current midi writing tool (cakewalk); I can't completely move to PT, because I can't write midi the way I have studied music... So I always have to go back to my old cakewalk software to write all of my midi tracks, then import them in PT to pass them through the instrument tracks.

Since I use more and more instrument tracks, I'd really need to write music in "stave" (I looked for my word in english; in spanish: pentagrama, in french: portée) in PT. It's just the old fashion wy to write music, five lines with balls and tails, bars, quarter notes, half notes...

So, my question: is there a tool, a software that I could use to rewire into PT to write music in that way ?

thanks,
shutiri.

Axiom Pro 61 | Neumann, Peluso and Shure mics | Yamaha HS80M, M-Audio BX8, JBL 4328P, Mackie MR5 Monitors / Sennheiser HD80's, HD560/600 headphones | Presonus and Avalon Pres

BFD2, Trilogy & Trilian, Komplete 5, Reason 4 NIs.

Alesis eDrum kit, Ibanez Musician bass '84, Gibson Les Paul, Custom 7-strings electric guitar + some custom acoustic instruments, several percussion instruments.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: midi writing in \"staff\" view (stave)

You mean a notation program like Avid's Sibelius 4

Although Pro Tools 7.3 supports a 'Send to Sibelius' command, Sibelius is not a fully integrated notational feature in Pro Tools.

If you were to write in Sibelius and then send to Pro Tools, you'd need to export an SMF as you would with Cakewalk.

Fingers crossed, Avid will address this issue with full integration (including Playback).

By the way ...Sibelius 4 is a very good programme and for traditional manuscript type notation, Sibelius is your man, ...and designed for the 'Power User' in mind.

filosofem
Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 AM

thanks filosofem,

yes, I used sibelius long time ago, and at least the graphics and layout were superior to cakewalk (as well as finale, BTW). I use cakewalk because I'm used to it; note that I say cakewalk and not sonar... I'm so used to it and use it only for that application, that I didn't upgrade to sonar !

So, there is no way to write in traditional notation in PT and hear it directly ino the program ? even with a third party "little" notation program ?

In fact, I attended to a PT seminar presenting version 6.7 and when I asked the guy about this feature (available in cakewalk since ever -at least version 3, the first one I used-), he told me that it would probably be available in version 7. mmm....

That's actually the reason why I'm asking about an alternate way to do it, since I don't see it coming.

So, is there a rewire/sync/any way to use any of the apps that support traditional notation and make it sound through my session in PT ?

thanks again...

Axiom Pro 61 | Neumann, Peluso and Shure mics | Yamaha HS80M, M-Audio BX8, JBL 4328P, Mackie MR5 Monitors / Sennheiser HD80's, HD560/600 headphones | Presonus and Avalon Pres

Alesis eDrum kit, Ibanez Musician bass '84, Gibson Les Paul, Custom 7-strings electric guitar + some custom acoustic instruments, several percussion instruments.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
So, there is no way to write in traditional notation in PT and hear it directly ino the program ? even with a third party "little" notation program ?
No, not that I'm aware of in the sense your thinking. I hold firm to the belief, that 'Send to Sibelius' command is just the start and full integration will follow shortly. It has been a requested feature for many years.
Quote:
So, is there a rewire/sync/any way to use any of the apps that support traditional notation and make it sound through my session in PT ?
Again, this is what I'm personally hoping will happen with Sibelius, taking full advantage of Pro Tools Playback.

Ummm... if you know your stuff, you could use Pro Tools' 'MIDI Event List'. This feature I use quite frequently to either alter or enter MIDI events, it's actually quite useful, you just have to be rather conscious of what's going on (like having the MIDI Event List open in the Edit window side by side to check especially note locations and durations). Program Change, Continuous Controller assignment are just some of the data that could be potentially entered.

(Although you can enter notes with the MIDI Event List, you can not Cut/Delete notes from the MIDI Event List)

filosofem
Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 AM

ok, thanks.

event list is probably the same as in cakewalk... it's a list of parameters of midi events, right ? not an easy way to write music

It's amazing that THE "Industry Standard Software" doesn't have a feature that's present as default in so many other apps (as the famous optional mp3 "option", BTW)... I'm sure I'm not the first/only/last one to be disappointed with this...

So, I'll keep using my cakewalk editor and importing independent midi files in PT...

Old 05-16-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
It's amazing that THE "Industry Standard Software" doesn't have a feature that's present as default in so many other apps
You forgot a bit of qualification there; Pro Tools is the "Industry Standard Audio Recording Software". It has never been praised by the "Industry" for it's MIDI capabilities (yet). It started it's life as an audio recorder, and that is where it's strengths are. MIDI capabilities have been slowly added over time (a very welcome addition). The addition of Sibelius bring it closer to being an complete integrated music production environment.

Cakewalk (and "so many other apps") started it's life as a "MIDI recorder". (I've been using it in one form or another since version 2.0) Audio capabilities have been slowly added over time (cakewalk 9 was great), and the whole entire product was re-written and re-named (to Sonar) to complete the integration of audio.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-16-2007, 03:05 PM

yes, you're absolutely right...

I do think, however, that this is actually an important missing feature against "competition" software, like sonar; it evolved from midi to audio, incorporating a lot of standard features.

Anyway, you're right about cakewalk 9, which is the one I still use... great app. I tried all sonar versions since and I find them really really buggy. So, as audio software and base of everything, I'm still completely in love with PT

In the meantime, I'll keep using my CW9 as midi editor and import files in PT. unefficient and creatively cutting the process, because of sound differences (midi vs samples).

I really hoped that CW editor (or any other) could be rewired like so many other apps, like reason, bfd, trilogy, kontakt...

thank you for your help and time,
shutiri.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
event list is probably the same as in cakewalk... it's a list of parameters of midi events, right ? not an easy way to write music
Yeah agreed, the MIDI Events List isn't that practical for composition, although great for drum programming and the like. As you've worked out and as what was implied in the first response, because there is no current solution composing in Cakewalk and exporting an SMF would be the best method. As what would be the case with Sibelius currently anyway.

filosofem