Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 AM

Default Adding a touch screen for plug ins

Hello, I am looking to add a second monitor that would be a touch screen. I've seen people controlling PT with ipads but seems too small. I like BIG things. I am just going to be using it to control plugins since I am already using a procontrol. Anybody here using a setup like this? Any recommendations on monitors and size? Was thinking 22-27 inch monitor. Any problems I should look out for and the real question, how does it feel? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Adding a touch screen for plug ins

I don't have any recommendations for models, but I've never been a fan of touch screens for ergonomic reasons. Sitting at your desk with your arm out for extended periods of time doesn't seem great to me. I think touch screen make sense for items you can hold in your hand, like tablets and phones, but not for laptops and desktops personally.

I'm definitly not trying to discourage you, and please post back how you make out with this!

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 01-27-2016, 07:14 AM

Hi Joel, I was thinking of bolting a Vesa swing arm mount on my console or using a heavy duty tripod to mount the monitor. It would be at the same height as the old tape machine controllers and at the perfect angle for touching. That's why I was looking at 22-27 inch monitors. I am just trying to increase my work flow. Anybody here running a set up like this?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 AM

I downloaded the Duet Display app last night and was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked using my iPad as a third monitor. I know you said the iPad route seems too small, but if you're looking for a touch screen plugin controller and already have an iPad it's definitely worth checking out. It was easy to customize the resolution so that plugins take up the full iPad screen. It runs via lightening cable to usb and has little to no lag. The app is currently on sale for $7.99.
MacOS 10.13.6
Pro Tools 2018.12
Digi 003 console
Old 01-27-2016, 11:11 AM

You know, the Duet Display app sounds like it would be a good option for me. " it runs via lightening cable to usb" That is great! I really didn't want to run wifi on the studio computer. I haven't bought an ipad yet but probally will start looking right now.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this! Just installed it, and it makes my I-pad operate as a FOURTH monitor. Cool thing is, I can put just about anything on it...plugins, transport, even the edit or mix window. Not bad for 8 bucks.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM

Deviltechnologies.com has software called Dtouch that allows for Pro Tools on a generic touchscreen(Acer, Planar and Dell all offer a 27" for between $450-700)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
Hi Joel, I was thinking of bolting a Vesa swing arm mount on my console or using a heavy duty tripod to mount the monitor. It would be at the same height as the old tape machine controllers and at the perfect angle for touching. That's why I was looking at 22-27 inch monitors. I am just trying to increase my work flow. Anybody here running a set up like this?
That's still going to be awkward and painful, especially on your shoulder and arm after a while. Think about it - this is something you're going to be using a LOT. If you could put the touchscreen right in front of you like the Slate screens then that might work. Otherwise with your setup that arm will be outstretched in the air and for long term use you're body won't like that.

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's still going to be awkward and painful, especially on your shoulder and arm after a while.
That's a very good point. I found some vesa roll able stands but it seems most people are using ipads for something like this. Haven't had many responses so that might be telling me something.

OK, who is using their ipad to control plugins? What is the good and bad of running this way?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Any touchscreen will work now. The only downfall is that you only have 1 point of touch supporter in PT. I say at least a 27", I have a 23" and the plugin UI's are still small for touch.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10