Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Default New Strike User

Hi All, I just purchased Strike today to add drums to a song I'm working on (in case you were wondering :) )Installation was a breeze, iLok authorization was well, a pain in the ass as usual. I found the program very intuitive and easy to work with........ Here's my issue...... I 'play' the patterns that I want, stop them, click export midi (drag it) into my PTools midi track and............ some other pattern that I had no intention of applying, hell I had never even listened to the pattern, ends up being in my midi track. I've deleted it several times, tried different lengths of the sequence, even tried one pattern at a time and......... The SAME damn pattern end up being my midi track. What do you guys think?
L.A.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:37 PM

Default Re: New Strike User

Yes, very common issue, regarding midi routing in Strike and the guide doesn't go into too much detail about it. But there are many post about it here on the DUC and online.

Scroll to the bottom of this link and read 'midi channel confusion'
http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...h/label/strike

Basically channel 1 and 2 are reserved, so your Kick starts on midi channel 3, snare 4 and so on. If you setup your midi channel outputs starting on 3 then your performance should play the correct kit piece.

Otherwise, it just sounds 'interesting' to say the least.

Hope this helps!~

Old 08-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
Yes, very common issue, regarding midi routing in Strike and the guide doesn't go into too much detail about it. But there are many post about it here on the DUC and online.

Scroll to the bottom of this link and read 'midi channel confusion'
http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...h/label/strike

Basically channel 1 and 2 are reserved, so your Kick starts on midi channel 3, snare 4 and so on. If you setup your midi channel outputs starting on 3 then your performance should play the correct kit piece.

Otherwise, it just sounds 'interesting' to say the least.

Hope this helps!~
Premo, I set the midi channel to 3 and now all I get is the kick, but that F**KING other pattern is gone. Do I have to setup midi tracks for ALL the parts of the 'kit'?
Thanks in advance for your help,
L.A.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flametop1 View Post
Premo, I set the midi channel to 3 and now all I get is the kick, but that F**KING other pattern is gone. Do I have to setup midi tracks for ALL the parts of the 'kit'?
Thanks in advance for your help,
L.A.

Russ has a decent video that goes over some of this. Watch it and see if it helps. What you are looking for is about half way through.

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Russ has a decent video that goes over some of this. Watch it and see if it helps. What you are looking for is about half way through.

Peace!
Dander, thanks. What is the video and where can I find it?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:35 PM

Its at that same link I sent for the Air Users Blog, Russ is the creator and main contributor of that blog. There are a bunch of tutorials on different strike topics, if you scroll up and click the 'watch here' under any of the videos.

The Digidesign Air Strike Session 2 specifically talks about 3 ways to program patterns and the way you're asking about starts around 13mins.

It sounds like maybe your dragging the export midi function to an existing midi/instrument track. When instead if you just drag and drop it anywhere on the edit window that is blank and let go, you'll get the export midi options window that ask if you want to export to a 'new track' or 'region big'. Choose new track, and it'll break out all the kit pieces to separate midi tracks. If you look at the auto created names of those tracks it'll say something like
'StrkKcC3' - meaning this is your kick and set the output of this midi track to midi channel 3 to hear the correct channel play back.

'StrkSnrC4' - Snare, midi channel 4.

Switching kits will sometimes cause it to play out different channels because the number of kit pieces change channels, so be aware of that.

Russ, goes over other ways to create patterns in Strike if this doesnt feel natural to you.

All those Strike Videos are great and worth the watch.

My personal trick I find cool is to automate the Intensity and Complexity Sliders to give the song a more dynamic feel and add buildups or layback where needed.

Strike might not get a deep as BFD2, but it's a fun plug-in and very usable, that's what I like about it. Doesn't kill my creative flow or tax my ram so hard that I have to keep worrying about it.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:06 AM

You guys are a big help. Now............... I've created a stereo track, have Strike up and running, IN record enable.............. I start to record the track.... Looks live I got a decent level (from the meters). But, when I go to playback..... There is no audio. Strike is there as an insert, THough for an input I can't choose it (greyed out), I'm sure that THERE is my problem (the input). What input 'should' be assigned?
L.A.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flametop1 View Post
Dander, thanks. What is the video and where can I find it?

AKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to put the link into the message. Thanks Premo!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM

Danander, I found the videos. Hell, I even saved them to files. The version of Ptools that I'm running down here is 7.4 (8 back in Minneapolis). I can't make a STEREO midi track. So....... I've made a stereo instrument track. It looks(operative word) like things are working (good levels wjile in record enable, etc. As I record...... Same thing. But, when I playback, there is no signal.Big pretty blue and white pinstripes with no 'Hits'. Guys, this is not my first rodeo and I'm SURE it's an Id-10-T error (idiot). So this is not only expensive but quite embarassing. Something tells me that it's an input issue. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!