Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2002, 10:27 AM

Default How do I change tempo w/out changing midi

How can I add a tempo change without changing the timing of my already-existing midi tracks?
Old 04-14-2002, 11:57 AM

Default Re: How do I change tempo w/out changing midi

Is it impossible?
Old 04-14-2002, 09:06 PM

I would print the midi tracks and then create a different tempo map. You might want to 'save as' before you begin this. You might also investigate the 'renumber bars' command, the 'identify beat' command and also the 'tempo/meter' change window.

mtung
Old 04-14-2002, 09:28 PM

Thanks, of course printing the midi tracks is not a solution at all, because I want to change the tempo without changing my midi performances. The tempo/meter change window doesn't do it. I believe that the 'identify beat' command is for audio.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-15-2002, 12:14 AM

How about this:

Save a copy of your existing session which has the MIDI tracks the way you want them.

Change your tempo. This will change your MIDI tracks.

Delete all of the MIDI tracks.

Go to File->Import tracks and import all of the MIDI tracks back into the session from the safety copy of the session. Make sure you uncheck "import tempo map" at the bottom.

I haven't tried this...but my educated guess is that you'll end up with what you want.

Might be another way along the same lines: does changing the tempo affect MIDI data on hidden MIDI playlists? If so, you could "hide" the MIDI tracks as unused playlists, change the tempo, then switch back to the playlists that hold your performances. Haven't tried any of this...might work. Let me know...

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 06:17 AM

Doctor, that might or might not work, but for this situation, I actually need to adjust the tempo map to a performance which was recorded out of time. So I need to see the midi tracks as I'm working.

I ended up doing it in Digital Performer, which actually allows you to snap-drag bar and beat gridlines to midi notes, automatically creating the tempo changes for you. Incredible. Chalk one up to MOTU; I should just accept that this sort of feature is unlikely in any future version of ProTools, and really learn DP.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:22 PM

Disco Doctor's solution won't work. The imported MIDI files will conform to your session's tempo map. DP does rock for this sort of thing.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O