Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Poor Performance in 7.0 Petition - Please Register

Dear Digi Support
We the undersigned respectfully request you to investigate the issues which many are experiencing having upgraded to version 7.0

Issues include:
* Sessions with very low track count/plugin usage not playing due to alledged H/W buffer size issues.
* 6.9 sessions which previously played (with compatible plugins) now do not play in 7.0
* Sudden session stops, although CPU usage is low
* Generally poor performance both on 1 and 2 processor machines

This petition is not a rant but born out of a genuine concern. We ask you to investigate these issues and if necessary to release a service upgrade to counter these issues.

We appreciate all the hard work and creativity you guys have put into developing a fantastic upgrade but are finding some of these issues are affecting our ability to work.

We remain respectfully yours.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Poor Performance in 7.0 Petition - Please Register

I'm proud to be the first one to sign this petition!
Nils "Niljam" Erikson, producer and reviewer
Old 11-18-2005, 04:10 AM

Count me in too!...

Wes Clarke
Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 AM

M e to
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 AM

Same here

OS 10.4.3
Dual G4 1 Ghz
1.5 GB of RAM
Internal drive
Old 11-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Avid

Please provide specific information about your system (CPU model, RAM, drives used, OS version, etc.) as well as clear and concise information regarding the issues you're experiencing, as well as any troubleshooting you have tried.

This will help immensely in identifying what the cause of the problems you're having may be.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:10 AM

Mac G4 1.467ghz
1.25 gig ram
OS Tiger 10.4.2
Maxtor IDE Data Drives
Control 24 with 002r

After 3 days of trying to get PT 7 to work I went back to PT 6.9.2 and it works glitch free again. Problems encountererd were:
Would not open plug-ins without program closing:
Arturia Minimoog
Arturia CS-80V
Acted buggy and randomly closed:
IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.1
Lexicon MX-200 VST
Since I use these plug-ins extensively I decided to wait until the next update is released. Hopefully it will be soon.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:25 AM

Michael
G5 Dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb of RAM
OSX 10.4.2

I have been experiencing some odd issues with jumps in CPU usage. A session will run normally at about 30% usage and then at certain points in the session it will jump and max out and I will get the error message. Realizing this could be a plugin compatibility issue, I tried removing non digidesign plugins but I still experience these issues. Upon inspection I believe there may be compatibility issues with Battery 2 (which is in PT 7 test results on the digi website). Perhaps certain midi notes are triggering CPU usage spikes as well because I have noticed that certain sessions with Kontakt 2 or Battery 2 seem to spike at exact points in the session. Also, I have a dual processor G5 1.8 ghz with 1.5gb of RAM and I have sessions from 6.9.2 that played that wont play in 7 because of a system usage overload even though my machine is a dual processor and I set both CPU's to 90% ?

I love the new features in 7, I just believe there are some bugs to be worked out as well. I have upgraded my plugins but there still seems to be some performance issues, especially in the area of system usage.

Thank You
Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Poor Performance in 7.0 Petition - Please Regi

Quote:
Please provide specific information about your system (CPU model, RAM, drives used, OS version, etc.) as well as clear and concise information regarding the issues you're experiencing, as well as any troubleshooting you have tried.

This will help immensely in identifying what the cause of the problems you're having may be.
Guys
I can see where you are coming from and are happy to oblige, but this petition is about problems which transcend particular systems and are more general to 7.0

My system:
iMac g5 1.8
1.5 gig ram
maxtor 250 external firewire
Tiger
Digi 002

If others could list their systems just to help Digi Support, although my suspicion is that it does transcend system particulars. Just read the forum.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Power Mac G5 dual 2.5 ghz
1 gig ram
80 gig boot
160gig media
Pro Tools LE 7
mbox
OS X 10.4.2

spotlight turned off.

tried i with the buffer size at max
set to 2 processors at 85% and sometimes %90 (thats all i can go to, i don't have a %99 option maybe because i'm using reason as well?)
DAE is usually set to 4

having a lot of the same issues as many other people.

-session will freeze at start up (once the session loads the color ball comes up until i force quit)
-some times the session will load up but can't play when i hit the space bar or press play on the transport window, sometimes that problem will just occur midway through working on a session. i'll have to restart.
-very very frequent 'increase buffer size' messages, stops playback.
-when bouncing to disk its stops playback and i get the 'increase buffer size' message. also sometimes it gets to the end but before converting the files it just freezes, colored ball comes up and i'll have to restart. that also causes reason to freeze as well.

can't think of anything else at the moment.

as far as trouble shooting goes, i removed some plugs way at the beginning thinking it may be a compatability issue. seemed to help a bit. i was still getting the 'not being able to play the session' problem but not as much.

i tried trashing certain pref files as suggested in the troubleshooting.
i have reinstalled pro tools
i have repaired disk permissions
i have restarted the computer

it may be a plugins thing or not.

thinking of downgrading until a more stable release comes our way.

cheers guys.

no hard feelings. just can't wait for a more stable release. many great new features that need to be tweaked.