Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Kick drum miking

I recently ran across an article about kick drum miking. It turns out that some people like to mike the kick drum on the back head and not on the front head. Some people claim that if you mike the kick on the back head, it will give you a more "warm" tone. I have always liked miking the front head with an AKG D112. What do you think?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Kick drum miking

I would guess a lot more great kick drum sounds were done from the front than the rear but YMMV. I'm partial to the Audix D6, Sennheiser e902 and would kill to have a U47FET. Add a subkick(even a home made one) for some extra beef. The D112 is certainly a staple although its not my fav. You have nothing to lose by trying it(don't forget it will want reverse polarity). Just oil the pedal so you don't record squeaking. The really is no wrong or right. Some folks mic toms from top AND bottom too. Whatever gets you the sound you want. These days, I cheat and just use a Roland kit to "play" Toontracks ezdrummer(thanks to Chuck Ainley for his great sounding Nashville kit).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 PM

obviously taste, kind of music, quality of kit all play in here. i was experimenting earlier with a couple things. but typically if you want more "snap" you mic the beater side, but usually the front head or inside is mic'd also for the fatness. rhere is also the tunnel with a blanket covering the bass drum and mic and back a couple feet and over the mic also (fet is a favorite) but all a matter of opinion! and i typically cant stand a d112 on kick. will take an audix d6 or sennheiser e602 any day

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 PM

So many variables; beater type, drum head, diameter, room acoustics, etc. That being said, I sometimes do like the U47FET but not always. I almost always double mike a kick. A 421 up close to the beater and an RE20 just outside the drum woks a lot of the time. I have done the beater side but phasing and bleed do not always work in good way. The thing is, I get drums coming through here that are done in the most extravagant studios in Los Angeles. And before it’s over, producers are still auditioning samples from various libraries (BFD2) etc. Nobody ever seems to be done when it comes to drum sounds.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
So many variables; beater type, drum head, diameter, room acoustics, etc.
Thus not forget the "Kicker"... It took me awhile before I noticed the difference of just the player too...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 AM

How true.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-10-2009, 06:10 AM

I use a Sennheiser 602, sits about halfway between the two heads. My experience pales compared to most who post here, but a couple years back while recording in a friend's basement I grabbed the cheap "mattress" off a nearby futon and sort of wrapped it around the front of the drum kit, about two feet behind the kick drum mic stand. It did wonders for the sound compared to the identical setup without the absorption for both the kick and toms. I used to use drumagog on that particular kick but after this tweak I get what I think are really good kick recordings. I still compress and use heavy eq, and also spend some time in protools making sure it's in phase with the overheads. Since then I've built some 2'x4' absorbers using heavy mineral wool that look more legit and have the same effect. And although not part of the question I've learned never to use clips to hold the mic to the rim of any drum; every mic has it's own stand. Maybe this stuff is elementary to you and if so my apologies.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM

Getting a kick drum in a large, proper acoustic space is certainly much easier than in a smaller room with lesser acoustics. One reason for that is wave-length and room ambience. But not everyone prefers recording drums this way, myself included. I like a tight, controlled space--allowing me to create the ambiance later. However, there are a few drawbacks with this in reference to the above. BUT you can still get a GREAT kick sound. But honestly, it really does come down to your choice of gear.....not just the microphone, but combination of mic AND the pre. I'm also a firm believer that a great compressor, no matter how big your space is, makes all the difference in the world.

Personally, I use a Shure Beta91 inside the kick in combination with a Blue MOUSE microphone. On the beater-side, I have an AKG C214 to give me that attack. My preamps include a Focusrite ISA828, an ISA428, a Presonus ADL600, and the Focusrite ISA220. I generally run the Beta91 into the ISA220 so I can play with EQ and Compression. I use the Mouse to give me more of the low-end harmonics that pick up not just the kick, but tom resonance.

But for those that aren't able to use higher-end gear or just have a hard-time getting a great sound, there is nothing wrong with triggering. In fact, many pros do it too :)