Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Default Pro Tools documentation

So I'm a full time working engineer.

Though fluent in pro tools I always have a
Copy of the latest pro tools official textbooks(ie 110 201 210 m 310 m)

they are extremely detailed explaining every little software detail as well as different workflow techniques

PROBLEM;
They don't allow you to purchase/own these books unless you pay 1000's for an official protools training course!!!

I do not need a course, just want to utilize the software in the best ways possible.

If I or anyone else wants to become "avid certified" then I would understand being charged

But not for just getting learning material, these are essentially software manuals weather or not they are Phrased as "advanced techniques"

So because of this phrasing "advanced techniques" I now have to buy these from some recording school kid or scrounge around ebay/craigslist just for material that let's face it explains how to utilize different software functions.

I have already contacted avid training they simply told me they are not available for individual purchase and when I replied they hit me with the "we will be out of the office" auto reply, very classy!

Wise up avid this stuff should be in pdfs online for free(perhaps with registered pt copy) and when someone decides to take it to that next step and become certified, then that's when the big bucks are justified
Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 PM

the problem is the books are designed to go hand in hand with in-class lectures. Things are left out or just bullet pointed because the teacher is expected to go over them in more detail. They also reference specific PT session examples that reside on the hard drives at the school. The license they get to use that media is highly discounted because it will only be available at the school. If they were to start selling the books retail to the general public the licenses would go through the roof. how do I know this? The company I work for did most of the music for 101, 110 and 201. Starting in 201 they start using famous multitracks from well known artists like 311 and movies like the Fifth Element. They can't release those to the general public as per their licensing agreements.

Everything that the books go over is in the PT Ref Guide. But the ref guide is written to be self contained and does not rely on in-class lecture and PT session example files.

If you need something to stay abreast with PT, use the Ref Guide PDF that comes with every version of protools. Taht is what it's there for.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM

You make a valid point,

The lessons are very scattered in fact I take all the pages from
The books and compile organize them into one big super protools
Book

I never actually checked out the ref guide it's very thorough though aside
From breif examples it does not provide instances where multiple functions are
Used, only the topic it's covering at the time. It basically doesn't have exercises only examples, but still very comprehensive nonetheless

It seems this is why the protools 101 is available, it provides scenarios where multiple functions are being used for an example(exercise)

So with this advantage why can't there be a protools 101 type masterbook that covered everything(even what's considered advanced) with exercises throughout instead of stretching it out into a basic 101 and multiple other "advanced" books

It might seem to be alot of info looking at the size of these books but if you take out all the info that repeats itself within these textbooks along with the blank pages, condensing lesson overviews you could have all three in one large book easily

And again I'm only speaking for the info not getting certified, I feel that should require schools teachers and official testing

I'll be fine with what I know at the moment but it's just for all the protools newbies. They could become master protools users quickly rather than just getting the 101 basics peicing the rest together with a reference guide.

Though I know alot of this should be intuitive to someone if they truly are engineer material the less intuition used the better
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Correction

Looking through this reference guide it is indeed good enough
To learn even the most advanced techniques, even shortcuts for each
aspect

Though exercises/lesson plans based on the chapters and full session excercises is the missing link to flawless

And avid could have mentioned the ref guide being just as thurogh when I contacted them cause I wasn't aware it was so cool, just ordered a copy!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM

My friend used to work in Digidesign's Certified Training dept. he was the guy at the company in charge of maintaining all the books. He also created the 300 series classes and created the Expert Certification and Exam.

In talking with him, most of what they use in the Training classes is in the Ref Guide. They basically take the Ref guide, and then try to make curriculum FROM it. I think that is the reason the PT "books" at schools are called "workbooks". The Ref guide is kind of like the "textbook". The more advanced classes then add the Guides from specific peripherals as well (Like C24 and ICON). The Main Ref guide just refers you to the item specific ref guide for more product specific info.

But yeah, the Ref guide is really good and pretty well written. I read it cover to cover a couple times and then started taking the classes. I pretty much ace'd the classes because of it. The cool thing about the classes were that they show you the CONTEXT within which to use certain tools. But the Ref guide does a good job of explaining those tools regardless.

The most beneficial thing to me, coming from a music background were the post classes. The same information is in the Ref guide, but the context of how to specifically use it isn't there. Like Cmd+Opt+V (paste to selection) for example. In music you rarely have a need for it. But in Post you use it all the time.

So there were things like that, that I liked about the courses. But you can get those types of things from other "how to" books just as easily. For you, since you are familiar with protools, the "What New" PDF files will probably be the most beneficial on the Avid website. Those things also get added into the Ref Guide but it's nice to see only the "NEW" features and tools added in recent updates. So check those out as well.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 07-20-2011, 03:54 PM

that's the word....curriculum

I could write a book about wood, measuring wood, hammers and nails but unless I include a simple exercise on building a birdhouse or something nobody's gonna become a carpenter from reading it

Witch would be amazing too see an exercise book that is basically a "nightmare" session that features every possible aspect of the program

Some examples

Like starting with over complicated disk allocation hardware setup/config using all kinds of pain in the ass syncing, mmc, multiple interfaces etc...

At some point tracking/layering/comping multiple drummers playing simultaneously and that jerk that insists on using their midi thing from the 1980s forcing you to daisy chain/reconfigure the midi setup

Then at the end the producer wants mp3's waves the audio tracks on cd you get the picture

Throughout this disaster it would explain what pages in the ref guide contains info for the given step along with it's keyboard shortcut

After this "master exercise" any session would be cake, wish I had something like this in my learning days

Even though I'm pretty good every new update/version always has some quirky features/shortcuts, being in a constant state of learning is a must in this crazy digital age

In the days of analog tape one could essentially learn "on the job" from experience alone because compared to protools there just isn't too many elements to a tape machine/console operation and workflow

Much harder w protools unless u got all day every day to explore and folks to guide you

But unless I want to write this book I should keep my mouth shut