Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Pro tools le7.4 installation error...now mbox won't respond.

Ok let me start this off by saying that when I first got my macbook, I installed the pro tools le 7.3 that came with my mbox 2 pro, and I was able to do one session without problems. I decided I wanted to check out my plugins so I installed the music production toolkit and ignition pack 2. That move right there made logic, peak, pro tools, or any other audio app just STOP working. A friend filled me in on the updates and what I needed to do and all that, so I deleted everything, reinstalled leopard, and all my other audio programs that work the way they should (not including protools).

Now that I have a pro tools class this week I decided to give it another try, so I put in my installation disk and I got a few errors...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...byschool/1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...byschool/2.jpg

install failed, right? well pro tools still shows up as if it did install, so I give it a try and this is what I get

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...byschool/3.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...school/4-1.jpg

I've installed le 7.4.2 that I got off the digidesign website, and nothing is working any better (or at all). Now after all that, every time I plug in my mbox I get a little blinking orange light. My computer won't recognize it for anything. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'll probably be calling digidesign tonight but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

-------
Macbook pro, 2.5 dual processor, running leopard 10.5.4, 2 gigs of ram, and I've taken a look at the troubleshooting page but I don't see anything that would help.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM

I got this off of the Digi site:

All versions of Pro Tools 7.4 are officially qualified with Mac OS X 10.4.9 for PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs.
Mac OS X Requirements with Pro Tools 6 & 7

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Compatibility Information

Pro Tools for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Now Available
Digidesign is pleased to announce the availability of Pro Tools® 7.4.2 software, which provides Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibility to Pro Tools|HD®, Pro Tools LE®, and Pro Tools M-Powered™ users. We’d like to thank our entire community of Mac users for their patience as we worked to bring a fully tested and reliable version of Pro Tools to Apple’s latest platform.
  • Pro Tools 7.4.2 software is currently available as a download only, and is free for all Pro Tools 7.4 owners. If you do not own Pro Tools 7.4, see Compatibility & Upgrades.
For more information and link to downloads, please see the announcement in the News section:

Mac OS X 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 Required
Pro Tools 7.4.2 software requires Mac OS X 10.5.3 or 10.5.4, and is not compatible with earlier versions of Leopard. If you have an earlier version of Leopard, you will need to update your Mac OS using either of the following Combo Updates before installing Pro Tools 7.4.2:
Notes:
  • Digidesign testing with Pro Tools 7.4.2 has shown no known differences between 10.5.3 or 10.5.4; both are officially qualified.
  • Downloading one of the "Combo Update" installers is the recommended method of updating your Mac OS.
  • Updating your Mac OS using the built-in Software Update or smaller incremental "Delta Update" downloads may not install all required components, and is not recommended.
  • If you decide to update to Mac OS X 10.5.4, it is not necessary to install 10.5.3 first. The Mac OS X 10.5.4 Combo Update requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later.

It also is possible that your other apps like Peak and Logic may not be compatible with 10.5.4.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGato View Post
I got this off of the Digi site:

All versions of Pro Tools 7.4 are officially qualified with Mac OS X 10.4.9 for PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs.
Mac OS X Requirements with Pro Tools 6 & 7

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Compatibility Information

Pro Tools for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Now Available
Digidesign is pleased to announce the availability of Pro Tools® 7.4.2 software, which provides Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibility to Pro Tools|HD®, Pro Tools LE®, and Pro Tools M-Powered™ users. We’d like to thank our entire community of Mac users for their patience as we worked to bring a fully tested and reliable version of Pro Tools to Apple’s latest platform.
  • Pro Tools 7.4.2 software is currently available as a download only, and is free for all Pro Tools 7.4 owners. If you do not own Pro Tools 7.4, see Compatibility & Upgrades.
For more information and link to downloads, please see the announcement in the News section:

Mac OS X 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 Required
Pro Tools 7.4.2 software requires Mac OS X 10.5.3 or 10.5.4, and is not compatible with earlier versions of Leopard. If you have an earlier version of Leopard, you will need to update your Mac OS using either of the following Combo Updates before installing Pro Tools 7.4.2:
Notes:
  • Digidesign testing with Pro Tools 7.4.2 has shown no known differences between 10.5.3 or 10.5.4; both are officially qualified.
  • Downloading one of the "Combo Update" installers is the recommended method of updating your Mac OS.
  • Updating your Mac OS using the built-in Software Update or smaller incremental "Delta Update" downloads may not install all required components, and is not recommended.
  • If you decide to update to Mac OS X 10.5.4, it is not necessary to install 10.5.3 first. The Mac OS X 10.5.4 Combo Update requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later.

It also is possible that your other apps like Peak and Logic may not be compatible with 10.5.4.
Peak, logic, reason, audacity all work fine, without any problems. In fact, pro tools is the only problem I've had with my mac since I got it.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 AM

Sounds like you've got 7.3 (not 10.5 compatible) and 7.4.2 mixed or pieces left behind.
Use the uninstaller application from Mac HD > Apps > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Pro Tools Utilities
Press Continue and choose CLEAN uninstall.

Now install only 7.4.2 and restart.
If it's not installing all the way, during the 'custom install' screen click the black arrow next to Pro Tools and it will reveal subcatagories. Choose only Pro Tools application files and Core Audio Manager. Make sure those install find. Then reboot and run the installer, now do the reverse. Only install just Digirack and Free BF plug-ins. Now all should be good.

If not, go to system preferences and create a new admin user account, log-in and test Pro Tools on there. Also try repair disk permissions as suggested in the troubleshooting sticky.

Post back with results if still not up.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 AM

I've already repaired permissions, but I'll try what you said. Thinking back, I did have almost everything checked...

I'll have to do it sometime next week though. I'm about to drop my baby off at the apple store to have a new motherboard put in. Thanks for the help guys I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:51 AM

Cool yes , it works

Premo posted:
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Premo

Sounds like you've got 7.3 (not 10.5 compatible) and 7.4.2 mixed or pieces left behind.
Use the uninstaller application from Mac HD > Apps > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Pro Tools Utilities
Press Continue and choose CLEAN uninstall.

Now install only 7.4.2 and restart.
If it's not installing all the way, during the 'custom install' screen click the black arrow next to Pro Tools and it will reveal subcatagories. Choose only Pro Tools application files and Core Audio Manager. Make sure those install find. Then reboot and run the installer, now do the reverse. Only install just Digirack and Free BF plug-ins. Now all should be good.

If not, go to system preferences and create a new admin user account, log-in and test Pro Tools on there. Also try repair disk permissions as suggested in the troubleshooting sticky.

Post back with results if still not up.
-------------------------------
i had the same problem, the mbox wouldnt even turn on..
i did what premo suggested and worked just fine... no more agony.....!!!1
thanx for that one...