Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Euphonix MC Mix

I have just moved my little studio into my bedroom and in the process of setting things up. My MC MIX are connected to the ethernet port on my pc with windows 8. While the pc has a wireless wifi connection from the router in the livingroom 10 feet away. Should this cause any problem? I think the mc mix acts kind of strange and goes into a non responsive state from time to time.
And the icon on the menu bar is not green anymore like it used to be. It is now white instead. Starting as dark and turning into white. Is this normal?
Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 PM

Wifi/bluetooth is never a good idea on a daw system and may cause problems.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-26-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Wifi/bluetooth is never a good idea on a daw system and may cause problems.

Not questioning you but..
Would be nice to understand why.
You often see a bluetoothkeyboard on for example the S6 surface..
Their new ipad control probably uses wifi..

Why would Avid promote the sliding S6 keyboard and their ipad app if it would not be good for your system.
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -
Old 05-26-2015, 05:52 PM

For the record, as someone with 30 years of technical computer and programming knowledge. You should not have problems running Wifi Internet with other Ethernet devices connected. On XP you would have had problems, however, the current iteration of just about every major OS should be fine.

I have been running my studio via wifi for the last six years with multiple different ethernet devices connected to a ethernet switch (AVB/Arist Series hardware, wifi printer, etc, no problems). Occasionally Pro Tools throws up playback errors, but it also consumes about 50% more of my CPU for the same task compared to something like Logic or Studio One, so it's more about Pro Tools not being optimised for the 21st century than anything to do with your network. And for the record, I get the same playback errors whether or not my bluetooth/wifi are on or off, so I will not be blaming wifi for that.

IMHO, accepting that you can't use wifi internet on your computer/laptop while having other ethernet things connected because it may cause software problems is like telling someone not to roll the windows in their car down while air-conditioning is running, because the air-con will cause problems with the dashboard... it has nothing to do with the software.

As I am typing this, I have an AVB interface connected to my Mac via Thunderbolt which gets an IP from the Mac, which I can then see on my wifi network (eg. other iOS devices), while my Mac is connected to a PPTP VPN into the office with an RDP session open. My 2 x Artist Mixes and 1 x Artist Control are up and running, with a Pro Tools session open, and my Yamaha Digital Piano connected via USB for Midi control. Zero issues.

Have any questions or problems, PM me. :)
Old 06-14-2015, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Euphonix MC Mix

no issue with wifi/ethernet here. just a mc mix user error.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotropic View Post
no issue with wifi/ethernet here.
Nor here.

I'm not sure about the icon colors but if it's working then don't sweat it.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:35 PM

put all your ethernet devices together in a different network(different subnet), separate from the network where your wifi connection is in.

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotropic View Post
I have just moved my little studio into my bedroom and in the process of setting things up. My MC MIX are connected to the ethernet port on my pc with windows 8. While the pc has a wireless wifi connection snip...

And the icon on the menu bar is not green anymore like it used to be. It is now white instead. Starting as dark and turning into white. Is this normal?
We have all 3 computers on WiFi and the one that has all 4 of our Artist units is always connected to WiFi, it has never been any issue at all.

Also the color of the icon is now dark grey/black in bolder text when connected, the green icon is gone since 3.1 so no worriess.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————