Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Default New Eleven Rack user

Hi all. I just got a used Eleven Rack and am liking it so far but have a couple of questions.
1, what is the latest firmware? From what I can find on Avid's sight it seems to be 1.0.3 which is what I have, but I think I saw it say it was back in April or May.

2, There seems to be a slight delay when I turn the scroll knob from one rig to another before the sound switches to the next one I choose. As far as playing on my own or recording I don't mind but in a live setting I can't have it taking so long to switch let's say from distorted rythym sound to a distorted lead sound. Is there anyway to eliminate the delay and/or will using a midi footswitch to go between rigs help fix this problem?

Thanks in advance - Dann
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Re: New Eleven Rack user

1.)Did you buy this Eleven Rack NEW, from an authorized Avid dealer? Was the purchase recent? What version of Pro Tools was included?

If this was a new purchase and not a stock clearing deal, it should come with Pro Tools 10 and firmware 2.0.1 would be pre-installed.

The latest firmware is 2.0.1 and is also known as the ERXP or Eleven Rack eXpansion Pack, which includes several new amp/cab/effect models.

2.0.1 is a PAID upgrade for $99 US if you already had an Eleven Rack at the time of release or bought one around the time of the ERXP release. For over a year now, new 11R units have been shipping with the ERXP included (2.0.1 pre-installed on the unit)

Have you registered the unit with Avid yet? I only ask because sometimes Avid will give you a free upgrade to the ERXP and PT10 if you bought the unit new - even though you may not technically be eligible for the free upgrade.

2.) The delay is normal for the 11R. You just have to get the timing just right to avoid mistakes when playing live. Quicker patch switch time has been asked for by many, as well as things like delay spillover - we have not seen any action on this yet.

EDIT: Silly me, disregard the questions about "is it a new unit" I re-read your post and you state that it is a USED unit, I guess I missed that before I responded. Sorry. Either way, 2.0.1 is the latest/newest firmware version, and it is completely worth the $99 to upgrade the unit.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Benoni. Ok good to know I have the latest update without the expansion. I don't want to get it yet until I am 100% sure I am keeping this. The delay in the patches is a bit of a bummer for future use but not an issue at the moment since I am not in a band to play live. I would also like the delay spill over. That would be cool too. Thanks again - Dann
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM

You missed another bit Benoni... He was asking about the delay changing patches from the front panel, not by MIDI switcher... :)

@DMannDann: The patch-change delay is much longer when using the front panel to change patches. There is still a delay when using a MIDI foot switch, but it's measured in milliseconds, and quite frankly, it has never affected me live. It DOES, however, annoy other users, so YMMV.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
You missed another bit Benoni... He was asking about the delay changing patches from the front panel, not by MIDI switcher... :)

@DMannDann: The patch-change delay is much longer when using the front panel to change patches. There is still a delay when using a MIDI foot switch, but it's measured in milliseconds, and quite frankly, it has never affected me live. It DOES, however, annoy other users, so YMMV.
no i got that. There is still a noticeable delay either way. Its not a huge delay of course, but it is noticeable, at least to the player, maybe not the audience.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Thanks Moff and again Benoni. Glad to hear the delay is less with a foot controller. Once I get my power amp situated I will look into getting a midi controller.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMannDann View Post
Thanks Moff and again Benoni. Glad to hear the delay is less with a foot controller. Once I get my power amp situated I will look into getting a midi controller.
If you are looking for an inexpensive MIDI controller for the Eleven Rack and a way to use it with the Eleven Rack with ZERO programming, then I would suggest using a Behringer FCB1010 with the EurekaSound EurekaProm.

Another option with the FCB1010 is the UNO eProm which some prefer but it requires you to program, or you could use the pre-made 11R sysex for the UNO which is available on my 11R blog site

Of course you can use the stock prom in the FCB1010, but it will take programming and it can be difficult, but some prefer to use it.

There are tons of MIDI boards that will work, so its just matters on what kind of money you want to spend and what you want it to be capable of.

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/...uno-eprom.html

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/...even-rack.html

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
If you are looking for an inexpensive MIDI controller for the Eleven Rack and a way to use it with the Eleven Rack with ZERO programming, then I would suggest using a Behringer FCB1010 with the EurekaSound EurekaProm.

Another option with the FCB1010 is the UNO eProm which some prefer but it requires you to program, or you could use the pre-made 11R sysex for the UNO which is available on my 11R blog site

Of course you can use the stock prom in the FCB1010, but it will take programming and it can be difficult, but some prefer to use it.

There are tons of MIDI boards that will work, so its just matters on what kind of money you want to spend and what you want it to be capable of.

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/...uno-eprom.html

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/...even-rack.html
I bought one of these and the EurekaProm and its easy to set up.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88