Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Default Re: How can I move from Pro Tools to Logic and back?

I know that in Logic you have to have the audio files to create an OMF file. Logic will not convert MIDI regions into audio while creating an OMF file. I would assume every other DAW would work the same. At least in Logic this would be as simple as selecting the MIDI region then going to File > Export > Selected Tracks as Audio.

I have always found that going from Logic to Pro Tools was no big thing, but Pro Tools to Logic is not as straight forward, sadly.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkkJohn View Post
Hi, I hope this is a reasonably appropriate place to post this...

Does anyone have experience doing projects in Logic AND Pro Tools? Here's my situation:

I have instrumental tracks for 12 songs I put together with PTHD (on Windows). Now I'm going to Germany to record the vocals, and the singer's favorite studio is Logic only. The owner said, "No problem, just bring WAV or AIF files." Aside from the fact that I don't know how to use Logic and will thus be completely lost in the studio, can this work?

With a bit of work, I can make audio tracks that go from start to finish and can thus be imported into Logic without too much confusion (I think). These are orchestral arrangements and some songs are 40-50 tracks. Or I could do some mixdowns and hope that's good enough.

But what happens then? I assume Logic has some similar funtion to loop and record multiple vocal takes. What kind of data does that create and how do I get it back into PT? Would I have to expot a long audio file containing all the takes and then manually cut up the takes? Or lots of little audio files?

I don't want to edit the vocals there. My plan is to return to my own studio with all the vocal takes and edit them myself in PT in the normal way.

I would love to say "No thanks, it's Pro Tools or nothing", but it's a small town and this studio has the best mics and engineer in town, and the singer has worked with them before.

Thanks for help on this!
So what was your outcome on this?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxicjoy View Post
Why dont you just bounce a stereo temp mix , or stems??
I think you are over complicating this.This guy gave you the answer. Just 2 track it. Then AAF export it from logic... Problem solved
Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 PM

Default Why is audio imported from Logic to Pro Tools seeming longer?

I recorded a guitar track in Logic X (because I was having an iLok issue which prevented me from using PT11), and exported it as a WAV file, with a 44.1 kHz sample rate and a 16-bit depth, the same as my Pro Tools 11 session.

The guitar track in Logic was performed and recored to a bounced WAV of the PT11 session, on it's own audio track.

Once I imported the audio files to the PT11 session, the audio seems longer in some parts (like the beginning of the imported one starts before the PT recorded one). Like I said, the sample rate and bit depth are identical.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Logic by default used to add a bar of pre-roll to the start of any newly recorded audio - it doesn't show on the region in logic but is present on the raw wav file. I assume this is still the case in Pro X although I haven't tried. If you trim the audio backwards in Logic you'll see the extra bit. If you need to line it up with something in PT just set your tempo to be the same as Logic and move it earlier by a bar.