Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-13-2010, 05:04 AM

Default Hard drive not recognized in Pro Tools 8 HD on Mac

Hi everyone!

I just don't know what to do next...
I got several disks not recognized in Pro Tools HD 8.0.4. They doesn't mount in worskpace but they appear on the Finder (Mac OS 10.6.3). I used the tech support utility to trash databases and preferences and it still doesn't function.
I'm working on a Mac Pro 2x3 ghz, those disks mounted on Pro Tools HD 7.4 and now they don't.

Help!

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Hard drive not recognized in Pro Tools 8 HD on Mac

....what type of drives? USB? SATA? FW?

...what kind of formatting do the drives have?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 AM

The external drives have multiple interfaces and none of them is efficient (firewire 400, 800...).
The disks are formatted in HF+ (journalised).

Thanks

(sorry for my english, I'm french)
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 AM

And sorry for not giving enough info. So : I'm quite a good user of Pro Tools for 10 years now, I'm a sound editor working on long feature films. I own HD and LE Pro Tools on Mac systems. I think I know how to resolve classical issues (prefs and co...) but today I just don't understand what goes wrong. Could it be a bad info from previous versions of ProTools in a hidden file at the root of the discs? I erased Digidesign Databases and Bureau folders, I repair the discs, used Disk Warrior, checked the authorisations... I just don't know what to do and the problem is that those discs contain thousands and thousands of wild sound files (1,5 To) and it will take hours to transfer those to another disc. I'll do that but I still hope someone could indicate a simple thing to do in order that Pro Tools' workspace mount those discs. IT WORKED for years ON PT7 HD!

Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Well, I spent all afternoon to try several operation (Onyx, Disk Warrior, Force Spotlight not to index hard drives...) : it didn't work! The disks still mount in Finder, not in Workspace (but they did when I had PT7.4 HD)... Any idea????
Thanks...
Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Try looking in "about this mac" and click the "more info" button, check under the category of interface you are using on the left, select it say for example it's firewire... in system profiler look for firewire in the list on the left. Click on it and see what it says on the right in the info panel. You might check every category while you are at it and look for anything weird.

You said you ran Disk Warrior, which version, which Mac os version, which cpu.

Please post all details about your system. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM

If you updated PT over an existing version, uninstall PT and start over.

The most common issues people have stem from trying to quickly update their rigs and not doing things the way DTS/Avid 'expect' / test things.

Fresh install. Be it OS or PT. To do less is asking for it.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 AM

Thanks for your answers. Well, I'm working on a Mac Pro 2,1 with 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon cpu (8 hearts) and 6 Go of Ram. The OS is Mac OS 10.6.3. The Pro Tools version is 8.0.4. The Disk Warrior version is 4.1.
Anything weird in the FireWire connections. It worked for years with previous versions and now it doesn't. Some hard drives mount, some don't.
We totally reinstalled the OS and the Pro Tools 8 before starting our new film.
Any idea?
Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 AM

OK! I got the answer from Digi support directly : in Pro Tools 8.0.4 hard drive names must not contain the sign '
In french we say "apostrophe" for this sign and we use it all the time. In english also it is used and hard drives should not be named, for example : Studio's disk
It's a new bug by the way, it never caused a problem in Pro Tools 7.4 HD
Thanks to all
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbrody View Post
OK! I got the answer from Digi support directly : in Pro Tools 8.0.4 hard drive names must not contain the sign '
In french we say "apostrophe" for this sign and we use it all the time. In english also it is used and hard drives should not be named, for example : Studio's disk
It's a new bug by the way, it never caused a problem in Pro Tools 7.4 HD
Thanks to all
In general I don't use any of the following in drive or file names:
!@#$%^&*()|\/:; (and there's probably a few more but you get the idea)

I have seen issues over and over again with this. One file had a pound "#" sign and because of this it wouldn't save.

I think it's safer not to use any characters that are illegal in the Windows naming convention.