Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Anybody Using Access Virus Control in Pro Tools?

Does it play nice?

If so, am TI might be my RTAS Solution for now.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Anybody Using Access Virus Control in Pro Tools?

Yes, we've got a TI2 Desktop that is interfacing via USB and Virus Control. Works really well and was fast and easy to setup. The only thing we didn't like was that the Access Indigo TDM plug-in does not communicate with the hardware (i.e. you cannot save a preset in the plug-in and call it up on the hardware, even though they are the same algorithms, chips, etc.). So, if you want your Indigo presets on the hardware you have to go parameter by parameter and dial in each setting. Once that's done you're good to go!
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 11-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Josh, we tracked some of your old bandmate's last record here. Also, your consoles are cooler that Sterling's even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The only thing we didn't like was that the Access Indigo TDM plug-in does not communicate with the hardware (i.e. you cannot save a preset in the plug-in and call it up on the hardware, even though they are the same algorithms, chips, etc.). So, if you want your Indigo presets on the hardware you have to go parameter by parameter and dial in each setting. Once that's done you're good to go!
I learned to give up on Total Integration like that in the 90's. That kind of stuff will only exist in our dreams.

The rest of your post is decent news. It's very hard to find info on anyone using Access Virus Control in Pro Tools, but it seems that Virus TIs had problems last year in PT.

Are you using Virus Control v3.x days for control AND streaming? Any latency issues, crackling etc issues. Any delay issues?

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Oh right, you did David's vocals on his solo album. Nice work.

The Virus Control software was the latest version and as long as I had it setup with other MIDI channels feeding it, I didn't find too many issues. When playing things live, if you get really complicated with it, it can be a bit strange.

We're using the TI2 for our new live show and I was using Virus Control to get all the sounds from the new record that were done with Indigo onto the hardware. So, we ended up with the keyboard player's entire rig setup in the control room and used his mixing board and speakers to play the sounds out the TI2's outputs instead of back through the USB connection.

There does seem to be an issue when using the same USB bus in which the iLok is present. In fact you even get a warning message about it when you start up Virus Control. We found that using a separate USB bus worked the best so there was no interference from the iLok or any other component running over USB.

Thanks for the nice comment on the CRC. It took me four years to design and then Jim Maher from Sterling Modular partnered in with me and took the design to the final stages. It's a great piece of furniture in both appearance and performance.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 PM

i just started using a virus TI on pro tools. i have a G5 dual and i'm currently using HD 7.4.2. so far there have been no problems at all with virus control. i haven't tried the advanced routing that i used to do in ableton (such as routing audio through the USB input into atomizer and other effects) yet.

access make it very clear that you can't use a USB hub with the virus, the virus must be plugged straight into one of the ports on the mac, which can be a little annoying if you want to do a long cable run from live room to control room.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 AM

So you are streaming audio through USB without poor latency or the c2008 delay issues?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Are you having latency issues with Virus control with Pro Tools? Because I am. It plays well when I record, but it has latency issues when playing back. Even if I change my H/W buffer size to the smallest amount, it doesn't change anything. I have tried in Logic and no such problems.
-------------------
Pro Tools 8.1
MBox 2 Pro
Macbook Pro
Dual 2.5 GHz
4 gigs ram
OS 10.5.8
Old 12-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Is it fact that Virus Control is working well on HD?
Because it doesn't really work in RTAS mode. Access is not able to make a working VC for RTAS. So thats why i think about an update from LE to HD.

The most important problem are those crackles in the usb-audiostream by playing arp patches, or a lot of MIDI notes at the same time.

http://www.access-music.de/forum/ind...d&threadID=339
Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Yeah, I had to ditch the TI for the fact that it never quite worked. Great sounding board, but you just gotta use it like a normal board via MIDI. Just use the plug as a library.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
Is it fact that Virus Control is working well on HD?
Because it doesn't really work in RTAS mode. Access is not able to make a working VC for RTAS. So thats why i think about an update from LE to HD.

The most important problem are those crackles in the usb-audiostream by playing arp patches, or a lot of MIDI notes at the same time.

http://www.access-music.de/forum/ind...d&threadID=339

but with HD you still use the RTAS plug, so there will be no difference

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ