Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Best Soft Synths for Electronic Music?

Hey guys i just got a new macbook pro and mbox2 factory bundle. I've used the virtual synths that come with pro tools le 8 (xpand2, vacuum, etc.) on my pc for a while now but i feel im pretty limited with what i can do as far as electronic music is concerned with these plugins only. I've thought about purchasing Albino 3 or Massive, as of late i've been making a lot of dubstep songs. But really im looking for a synth that can do it all: wobble basses, synth leads... basically all the synthesizer sounds i could want in a dubstep/electronic song. Both Albino 3 and Massive sound like good choices but id like to be possitive that ill be satisfied by ONE of these. As a college student, $200 for a soft synth is a lot of cash. So if i can narrow it down to one synth itd be great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also im looking for a synth to specifically make basses, leads, pads and FX etc. not really drum sounds as I think sampling drum sounds may be more effective. Tell me what you think!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Best Soft Synths for Electronic Music?

Alchemy. However if you know your way around a synthesizer AIR Hybrid is under rated.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:40 AM

DCAM: Synth Squad.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 PM

thanks for the suggestions. Can you tell me why you would go with these over say Albino 3 or Massive? Keep in mind at the moment im pretty new to soft synths and synth programming. I'm basically looking for something that will keep me busy for a long time that i can use regularly and not get bored with it. Needs to be very versatile as well. I'd like to be able to really get a lot of bang for my buck here and be able to really learn the synth over time and make some great professional sounding tracks with it. I know thats a lot to ask haha, but hey. Also i would really like it to be able to make the wobble bass sound you hear in dubstep using the LFO mod, rather than making the wobbles by automating the cutoff rate or something.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM

What are your opinions on Komplete 7 by Native Instruments? After a bit of research this seems like a great deal getting Massive as well as several other soft synths and effects processors etc. Any experience with this product?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 PM

To be frank, synth boredom illustrates two elements, lack of knowledge and lack of imagination. The latter is innate, the former arises from doing. Doing in the sense of study and the more important 'what if scenario', what if I turn this knob, what if I plug this here, what if I do this. Read, play, read some more, play some more and when you think you have had enough, read and play some more.

You would like to create a wobble bass patch and this patch contains LFO Modulation. Modulating what? An Oscillator, maybe two Oscillators? Oscillator Pitch? Maybe Oscillator Wave? What LFO Wave type? Square, Saw Tooth? What's the LFO cycle Rate? Is the sound a Hard Sync sound? What is Hard Sync?

These are fundamentals of subtractive synthesis that most subtractive synthesizers are capable of performing, even SoundForum Synth does.

Presets, presets are only good for forming one out come, boredom. Boredom without knowing how the sound came about. So what's the point? Learn the basics first. Try creating a wobble bass with AIR Hybrid, it's practically free! Then see where your heart is at. My advice is do your research, you never know, you may end up with a piece of hardware.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 PM

thanks for the input. I know im an absolute noobie when it comes to synthesis. But this is what id like to change. Basically right now im looking for something to give me as many options as possible so in the future when I start getting a better understanding for what I am doing when i adjust different parameters within a soft synth I can get as wide a range of sounds as possible.

Maybe boredom was not the right term to use. All i meant was that I dont want to be very limited to the possibilities of the synth. Id like to have the widest possible range of what i can do with it.

As i mentioned im looking into possibly geting Native Instruments Komplete 7 package. Does anyone have any experience with it? I've heard mixed reviews on Native Instruments compatibility with pro tools. The last thing I want is to spend all that money only to find out that it crashes my session every time i open a VI.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Read, play, read some more, play some more and when you think you have had enough, read and play some more.
Anything in particular one should read? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM

I remember reading somewhere that Hans Zimmer likes Zebra.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Hans Zimmer likes Zebra.
I believe the actual quote was "Hans Zimmer likes zebras."