Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 AM

Default MIDI tempo changes?

I'm working on a 10 minute MIDI score, comprising 5 different sections, each with different tempo. I incorporated many tempo changes within each section in order to give the music an elastic feel. There are also meter changes throughout. Well, so far so good on Round 1.

Then... Round 2, got client notes. The changes I'm making necessitate moving MIDI regions around. Then I have to cut and paste tempo changes to follow them. Of course, everything downstream of a change then needs to be fixed, e.g. regions no longer sitting on a bar line, ritardando not in the right place, etc.

It's not that I've never dealt with these issues before, but it's been a while since I had to deal with it in such quantity. So many small, tedious changes! I expected something like this to happen when I set up the original Round 1, but I did what I had to do to get the phrases to have the right flow and still stay on a grid. (I've tried composing while ignoring the click entirely, and that leads to even worse disaster.)

If I were working on a half hour or hour show, I'd dedicate one session to each cue. But in this piece one section flows into another, and the last note of one section becomes the beginning of the next.

So my question is: Does anyone have suggestions to make this easier in the future? Is there, for example, a way to make MIDI regions lock to a time code regardless of what tempo changes I make upstream of that region?

Thanks for reading this long-ish post and for any help you can offer; I hope I've made my issue clear.

002 Rack
Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: MIDI tempo changes?

You could use a Linear Tick Time Scale by changing the Linearity Display Mode.

filosofem
Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks, filosofem! But I'm stumped...where do I find the Linearity Display Mode?

002 Rack
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Linearity Display Mode

For more information concerning 'Linearity Display Mode' consult your Pro Tools Reference Guide.

You might also want to lookup 'Selecting Tempo Resolution (BPM Rate)' and 'Selecting Tempo Edit Density'.

Adding Tempo changes can be made using the 'Tempo Operations Window' where the above can be selected using the Advanced Tempo Operations parameters.

Hope this helps.

filosofem
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 AM

filosofem,

Thank you so much!! I'll try it out.
002 Rack
Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Hey guys, thought i might throw this in for some help. I'm stuck understanding the difference between Tempo Resolution and Tempo Density. I have read the manual a number of times but it doesn't go on enough for me to get it.

Density I understand to be how often change of tempo points are written when using the pencil tool. Not sure if there is more to it.

Resolution... I'm scratching my head?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Resolution is Meter.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 AM

any chance you are able to elaborate? Still stuck, tried a few things but dont get it?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Resolution is do you want the Graphic Tempo Editor Grid to mirror the Time Signature of your song. Density is how smooth do you want a Tempo Change (Curve) to step.