Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2000, 07:49 PM

Default File-Save-Session-Copy-In character add

Using File-Save Session Copy In(copying audio files), I found that the audiofiles copied to the new destination drive had their file names altered. 1 to 3 characters would be added after the .L for Left or .R for right. Sometimes I would see an extra 'L' or 'R' or two, sometimes a multiplication symbol, an oomlat(sp?), a sweeping arrow type character, or just plain jibberish characters-- never more than about two or three, added to the end of the file name.

Further, ProTools now sees this file with the new name and asks for the altered file with the jibber characters. Wierd thing is that the name in the region list and on the region in the time line are unaltered.

This 'quirk' was discovered when a Sony DADR(digital dubber) choked on the ProTools 4.3 session that was carefully prepared for it using 'File-Save Session Copy In'.

Sometimes ProTools, after a subsequent closing and reopening of the session, has lost the location of this altered file and wants repointing. Pointing to the folder and using 'look in selected directory' reminds PT successfully where the altered file resides.

These characters are so whack, that I can't remembering ever creating them from a standard Mac keyboard unless a special Wingding font was used.

I have had to workaround by going through the list of moved audio files and finding the whack characters and deleting them one by one. For every drive. Over and over .

Or using Track Transfer to also move audio files and fades.

It is nice to have many ways to do the same thing. But would love to see Digi take a looksee and fix.

Am I alone on this? Anyone else with the same problem.

MacOS8.6, PT5, G3 400 and 9600's. Hard Disk Tool Kit 3.02 low level format all. Adaptec 3940U2W and also 2940UW. Replicated from four different PT systems. Different sets of drives each time.