Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-07-2015, 06:34 AM

Default Problems upgrading Komplete 8 to Komplete 10 Ultimate in Pro Tools 10.3.9

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I've tried to search for posts with similar problems to mine but I haven't found any so I'm starting a new one.

I have been a Kontakt 8 user for a couple of years with no problems using Pro Tools 10.3.5. I though I should upgrade to Komplete 10 ultimate so I bought it thinking it would install easily. However it hasn't. Or to be correct the installation is fine but when launching it in Pro Tools everything get strange. If I start a new song it seems to work fine(although I have only been messing around, not recording seriously) but when trying to load one of my previous songs everything just freezes up and sometimes I can get the application manager(I'm unsure of it's name in english) to open and I can terminate the process but many time I have to restart the computer by holding in the power button until it restarts.

I thought it could be related to the same plugin, for example Kontakt 5, being installed to a different drive than it was the first time so I uninstalled both Komplete 10 Ultimate and Komplete 8, checked that no plugins from either of them showed up in Pro Tools and they didn't. Then I reinstalled Komplete 8 and then Komplete 10 Ultimate upgrade to the same locations but nothing is different. It still freezes up. I then uninstalled everything and only installed Komplete 8 and everything worked. The I tried again to install K10U but everything freezes up again.

Then I thought it could be related to me not having bothered to upgrade Pro Tools to 10.3.9 so I did and reinstalled K8 & K10U but everything still freezes up. I did also try to install only the Kontakt part of K10U with Session Horns Pro after the K8 installation but that was enough to break Pro Tools.

I don't really know what to try next other that thrashing the Komplete 10 Ultimate portable harddrive with a hammer but I pretty sure that won't solve it either.

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?

Sorry for the long post!

I have my computer info listed below:

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : Dator
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : ASUS All Series ASUS MB
Serial Number : System Ser**********
Chassis : Desktop
Mainboard : ASUS Z87-A
Serial Number : 1305115********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) 0903 05/06/2013
Intel vPro : 9.00.02.1345
Total Memory : 16GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4C 8T 3.9GHz, 3.9GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1150

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASUS Core (Haswell) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 8GB DIMM DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GAR 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)
Memory Module : G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GAR 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : AOC International 2757M
(1920x1080, 27.2")
Monitor/Panel : Philips 273ELH
(1920x1080, 27.2")
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (12CU 2304SP SM5.0 862MHz/1.2GHz, 1.5MB L2, 3GB 6GHz 384-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (12CU 2304SP SM5.0 862MHz/1.2GHz, 1.5MB L2, 3GB 6GHz 384-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (2304SP 12C 862MHz/1.2GHz, 1.5MB L2, 3GB 6GHz 384-bit)
OpenCL GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (2304SP 12C 862MHz/1.2GHz, 1.5MB L2, 3GB 6GHz 384-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (2304SP 12C 862MHz/1.2GHz, 1.5MB L2, 3GB 6GHz 384-bit)
CUDA GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (2304SP 12C 862MHz/1.2GHz, 1.5MB L2, 3GB 6GHz 384-bit)

Storage Devices
KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (120GB, SATA600, SSD) : 112GB (C:)
Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 2TB (D:)
ASUS DRW-24B5ST (8GB, SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) : 7GB (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
Reserverad av systemet : 350MB (NTFS)
D: (D:) : 2TB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm)
C: (C:) : 111GB (NTFS) @ KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (120GB, SATA600, SSD)
Komplete 8 (E:) : 7GB (UDF) @ ASUS DRW-24B5ST (8GB, SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS Lynx Point LPC Controller
Audio Device : ASUS Lynx Point HD Audio Controller
Audio Device : ASUS GK110 HDMI Audio [GeForce GTX Titan]
Audio Codec : nVidia GeForce 6800 XT
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : ASUS Lynx Point 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : ASUS Lynx Point USB xHCI Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : ASUS Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 3 : ASUS Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : VIA VT6306 VIA Fire II IEEE-1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 Home 6.03.9600
Platform Compliance : x64
Old 02-07-2015, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Problems upgrading Komplete 8 to Komplete 10 Ultimate in Pro Tools 10.3.9

First off there is no such thing a Kontakt 8; perhaps you meant Komplete 8.

There is no need to install both Komplete 8 and Komplete 10. About the only reason I could see is if you needed Battery 3 as well as Battery 4 (in that case I'd just install Battery 3 and it's content from the Komplete 8 installer). Your computer is probably getting confused having both sets of programs on it. I'd uninstall Komplete 8 and just install Komplete 10 and let the installer put the programs where it wants to; make sure to carefully select where you want to install the sample content to - that's a separate step in the installer.

And when you're done installing don't forget to activate them through NI Service Center as well as install any updates the Service Center finds. That drive you got from NI does not have the latest revisions of NI programs.

Just thought of something - you may have sessions that used the older RTAS version of NI plugins but the nice thing with PT10 is it can use both RTAS and aax32 format plugins. I know the latest versions of most NI programs lose RTAS capability but like I said - you don't need it in PT10. Also sometimes systems can have issues with having both the RTAS and aax versions of the same plugin.

QAPLA!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Problems upgrading Komplete 8 to Komplete 10 Ultimate in Pro Tools 10.3.9

Yeah, I meant Komplete 8. My frustration of trying to install this thing for the last 2 days has made me a sloppy writer.

Anyway, I tried your suggestion but that does not make a difference. The same result when loading already started tunes. I have now also tried making a new tune with Komplete 10 Ultimate. It seems to work while playing/recording but if I want to load another/start a new tune it freezes up again.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddysdead View Post
Yeah, I meant Komplete 8. My frustration of trying to install this thing for the last 2 days has made me a sloppy writer.

Anyway, I tried your suggestion but that does not make a difference. The same result when loading already started tunes. I have now also tried making a new tune with Komplete 10 Ultimate. It seems to work while playing/recording but if I want to load another/start a new tune it freezes up again.
Did you completely wipe out Komplete 8 from your computer? If not you should do that. Then get CCleaner and take a trip through the Windows Registry and clean out any old NI garbage. Reboot the computer and reinstall Komplete 10. After that run NI Service Center to get any program updates.

You haven't said what NI plugins you are using in your sessions. If you could post the specific ones (don't just say 'any of them'), size of session, etc. then I might be able to help. Obviously if you're using NI vi's then you have some kind of MIDI in use. Are you using an external MIDI controller or manually inputting notes. If you're using an controller keyboard and it's connected via USB then make sure your USB ports aren't going into power savings mode. Check Windows Control Panel and set them to never power down. What are you using for audio I/O?

Have you optimized your computer to run PT? Are you using a separate drive for PT to record to? You should also have a separate drive for your samples. And please don't tell me the line that 'my system worked before so it should work now' because obviously it isn't.

QAPLA!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Thank you for taking your time to try and help me. I really appreciate it.

I tried your suggestion and uninstalled everything again using the uninstall fuction i Windows 8 and then manually deleted any file or folder related to native instruments. Then I used CCleaner to make sure all registry entries regarding anything related to native instruments were gone. I'm not sure how much more I can wipe it.

The NI plugins I'm using are "Scarbee mm bass", "upright piano" and "battery 3" so all Kontakt-related. Size of session is quite small:
1 track scarbee bass (Muted)
1 track Battery 3
1 track upright piano
3 mono audio tracks, 1 with Guitar Pro 5 (used as a tuner), 1 with Bass guitar (with avids Channel strip plug) and 1 with electric guitar (also Channel strip)

Then I have a bunch of empty tracks, say 2 mono audio and 10 instrument tracks (because I have a habit of creating several at once when I'm unsure how many will be used).

My audio interface is a M-Audio FireWire 410. The drivers for the interface I know have been known to be a bit flakey in Windows 8 but before this I have not had a problem with it but maybe the newer versions of Kontakt for example could be a mismatch?

Then as Midi input I use a M-Audio Axiom 49 and a Clavia Nord Stage 88 Revision B, but never both at the same time and both connected using a midi cable.

As to optimization, I install the applications of Komplete 10 to it's prefered location on C:. The disk is not big enough to house all the samples/libraries so these are installed to D:. This is not the only things on D:, there are other things installed here to but nothing related to Pro Tools or Native Instruments. Also the song that I work on are on the D:, the same as the samples but not the same as Pro Tools och the Native Instruments applications.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:06 AM

An addition:

I borrowed an MBox mini from a friend and that does seem to work. I've only tried it for a little bit but none of the problems of the computer hanging in the various stages are present. The thing that makes me unsure is that I can't open my old songs with it since it doesn't support 44 kHz playback...
Old 02-08-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you for taking your time to try and help me. I really appreciate it.

I tried your suggestion and uninstalled everything again using the uninstall fuction i Windows 8 and then manually deleted any file or folder related to native instruments. Then I used CCleaner to make sure all registry entries regarding anything related to native instruments were gone. I'm not sure how much more I can wipe it.

The NI plugins I'm using are "Scarbee mm bass", "upright piano" and "battery 3" so all Kontakt-related. Size of session is quite small:
1 track scarbee bass (Muted)
1 track Battery 3
1 track upright piano
3 mono audio tracks, 1 with Guitar Pro 5 (used as a tuner), 1 with Bass guitar (with avids Channel strip plug) and 1 with electric guitar (also Channel strip)

Then I have a bunch of empty tracks, say 2 mono audio and 10 instrument tracks (because I have a habit of creating several at once when I'm unsure how many will be used).

My audio interface is a M-Audio FireWire 410. The drivers for the interface I know have been known to be a bit flakey in Windows 8 but before this I have not had a problem with it but maybe the newer versions of Kontakt for example could be a mismatch?

Then as Midi input I use a M-Audio Axiom 49 and a Clavia Nord Stage 88 Revision B, but never both at the same time and both connected using a midi cable.

As to optimization, I install the applications of Komplete 10 to it's prefered location on C:. The disk is not big enough to house all the samples/libraries so these are installed to D:. This is not the only things on D:, there are other things installed here to but nothing related to Pro Tools or Native Instruments. Also the song that I work on are on the D:, the same as the samples but not the same as Pro Tools och the Native Instruments applications.
The Kontakt version won't have anything to do with any interaction with your FW410 because you're running Kontakt inside PT and that's what matters. So you have both Komplete 8 and Komplete 10 installed? I mention that because you're using Battery 3 which is old; Komplete 9 and Komplete 10 have Battery 4 and you can open Battery 3 kits inside Battery 4.

So you're using the traditional 5 pin MIDI cable and not USB - that's good. I asked because as I mentioned Windows by default turns off the USB ports as a power saving measure; my old Sonar/Windows system would lock up if something in the MIDI stream would hiccup. My MIDI interface was a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB and I had to make sure the USB port stayed alive all the time. Windows will lock up if something hangs up a USB port and only rebooting will bring it back.

Quote:
An addition:

I borrowed an MBox mini from a friend and that does seem to work. I've only tried it for a little bit but none of the problems of the computer hanging in the various stages are present. The thing that makes me unsure is that I can't open my old songs with it since it doesn't support 44 kHz playback...
Good you were able to try another audio interface so that means at least your basic install of the software is working. Something to try with your old interface is a new cable - those things can go bad without warning (or things just worked loose - you never know).

QAPLA!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:17 PM

No, only Komplete 10 Ultimate is installed. Since I made the song when I only had Komplete 8 thats why the song uses Battery 3. And I cant change the insert to Battery 4 because the computer hangs if I try.

Also, another bug that makes me suspect the audio interface is that playback often is broken, meaning that when I press play the stop button lights up in blue and plays back stops straight after it starts. When the MBox mini was used this bug were nowhere to be found even though I loaded the song several times just to try and provoke the bug. When the mini was connected I could do all the things that were making Pro Tools connected to the FW410 hang.

I'll see if I can find a new cable to try but inbetween my many install/uninstall repeats whenever I have had only Komplete 8 installed, then everything worked fine.

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
No, only Komplete 10 Ultimate is installed. Since I made the song when I only had Komplete 8 thats why the song uses Battery 3. And I cant change the insert to Battery 4 because the computer hangs if I try.

Also, another bug that makes me suspect the audio interface is that playback often is broken, meaning that when I press play the stop button lights up in blue and plays back stops straight after it starts. When the MBox mini was used this bug were nowhere to be found even though I loaded the song several times just to try and provoke the bug. When the mini was connected I could do all the things that were making Pro Tools connected to the FW410 hang.

I'll see if I can find a new cable to try but inbetween my many install/uninstall repeats whenever I have had only Komplete 8 installed, then everything worked fine.

Thanks again!
If you only have Komplete 10 installed you do NOT have Battery 3 and PT should have thrown an error message about a missing plugin when you opened the session. This could be why the computer hangs when you try and change the insert. You could start a new session and import the old MIDI data into that and for the drum track put Battery 4 in.

The play start/stop thing is a but that's been in various revisions of PT10 for a long time and has nothing to really do with the audio interface.

QAPLA!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM

I think it may be that the problem is related to Kontakt because it seems that as long as I dont use Kontakt in my older songs it seems to work fine and pro tools usage of the cpu is idling at 0.1%. When I load a song that uses Kontakt from before the Komplete 10 Ultimate installation Pro Tools idling is at about 60% of CPU.

Also, if I move a track, up one notch for example in the Edit Window in Pro Tools on a normal track it moves instantly but on one with the old Kontakt it takes around 20-30 seconds and uses around 70% of CPU. So it seems that Pro Tools might not be freezing completely but running extremely inefficient.

So on some old songs I don't use battery 3 and it still hangs, or maybe more correctly, crawls extremely slowly.