Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 05:06 PM

Default How do I connect external devices to c24, do I need pacth bays?

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I have a two room studio and I have 2 external pre's and an eq. How do I plug it in into c24 and how do I use them in the sessions. Do I need a patch bay? PLease help. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:29 PM

Default Re: How do I connect external devices to c24, do I need pacth bays?

Why do you wanna plug your outboard pre's into the C24? Just plug them into our interface. A PB would come in handy to route the C24's mic/line I/O to your interfaces & other gear. The C24 doen't pass audio in any way. Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:36 AM

Darla: Do I need a breakout snake to use the c24? because I read it in the eq mag review. How do I use my external gear in the session, let's say I wanna use a mic pre in a track. through an insert? please help [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2001, 11:33 AM

"Darla: Do I need a breakout snake to use the c24? because I read it in the eq mag review. How do I use my external gear in the session, let's say I wanna use a mic pre in a track. through an insert? please help "

Melao
Yes, you need breakout snakes if you want to use th C24's mic/line pres. You also need them to route the outputs of your interface (888 etc) back to the C24 for monitoring THRU the C24. You also need cables to bring back the outputs of any 2tracks, dats or cd to the inputs of the C24 monitoring section. It's not as confusing as you're making it out to be. The C24 itself DOES NOT PASS AUDIO. It's not an audio console, it's a controller. All those track led's will light up simply via the ethernet cable. Take the output of your mic pre to the input of your interface, just like you always did. How did you monitor before you got the C24? Straight off outputs 1 & 2 of your interface to an amp? If you did & you want to use the C24, you need a 25 pin D Sub to whatever type of plug your interface requires. It's all in the manual. You can roll your own or get some from any good store (Full Compass is great) or Digi sells a "bundle" I believe which consists of all the cables you'll need. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:31 AM

Thanks Darla,you've been very helpful.