Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2023, 03:01 AM

Default Assertion in "UTrackList.cpp" file

Dear everyone,

I have an assertion on this file, here is the full path:
"/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT_COLOR/ProTools/App/Tracks/UTrackList.cpp"

I googled it precisely (googling 'Pro tools "UTrackList.cpp"') and couldn't find anything related to this.

I am up to date with the Pro Tools version (2022-12, before upgrading I was ath the 2022-09 version).

This session has been created on a prior version of PT, now sure which one.

I have troubles to debug it as I don't even know how to access to file to check the line where the assertion is triggered.

I tried to delete the Pro tools aggregate audio setup.
To start the session with all plug ins desactivated (opening holding shift button), I tried opening Playback engine preferences first.

All of this lead to the same issue.

I don't have much more ideas, did anyone got this issue already?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Mathieu
Old 01-22-2023, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Assertion in "UTrackList.cpp" file

Hi, welcome to the community.

Please take a look at the Help Us Help You page linked to the forum header.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:54 AM

Hi welcome to DUC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpot View Post
Dear everyone,

I have an assertion on this file, here is the full path:
"/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT_COLOR/ProTools/App/Tracks/UTrackList.cpp"

I googled it precisely (googling 'Pro tools "UTrackList.cpp"') and couldn't find anything related to this.
A great start! You did the best thing possible with ASSERT messages, but because that did not show up it's really pointing out others have not seen this. So it's either a very rare ASSERT failure or maybe something new introduced into 2022.12 (meaning either what would cause the error was introduced, or the ASSERT test was added in 2022.12 and maybe there has been an undetected problem there in the past and it's only detected in 2022.12). But either way no help from Google.

Quote:
I am up to date with the Pro Tools version (2022-12, before upgrading I was ath the 2022-09 version).

This session has been created on a prior version of PT, now sure which one.
You need to focus on troubleshooting. If this problem only happens with one session file then it's likely that that session file is corrupted. Do you have many other past session files that worked OK? If not does creating a new empty session and doing some work in it work OK? You can try to import this session that does not work into a new one. You can try importing Session Data into a new session, and try different things to import to see if that works. You could also try going back to an previous Pro Tools version, seeing if that opens the session and if so try a Save Copy In.... Plugins get to write to the session file so what plugins were used in the past might have caused problems. You could try opening past backup copies of that session. Worse case you might need to import say just the audio and rebuild the session by hand.

Quote:
I have troubles to debug it as I don't even know how to access to file to check the line where the assertion is triggered.
The ASSERT messages are for Pro Tools developers not users, you cannot look at the source file, or make code fixes etc.

Quote:
I tried to delete the Pro tools aggregate audio setup.
To start the session with all plug ins desactivated (opening holding shift button), I tried opening Playback engine preferences first.

All of this lead to the same issue.
None of these tests really focus on the session. And you did not do the one thing that you should always do when starting troubleshooting and that is to trash prefs. See troubleshooting steps under that "help us help you" link on how to trash prefs. Don't try the other steps there until you exclude the plugin file is just corrupted.

Quote:
I don't have much more ideas, did anyone got this issue already?
You already saw that Google did not find other reports of this problem so asking this is not likley to help, you need to focus on basic troubleshooting the problem, starting with if or if not it's a corrupted session.

If you cannot make progress describe clearly your systems set up, etc. computer details, OS version, what drive is the session on? What filesystem is on that drive folder? etc... the expected stuff you should have included in your post above. (see under "help us help you").
Old 01-31-2023, 07:34 PM

Hi All -
I want to second this error (mine below) - for me it's occurring when I attempt to import an mp4 video file.

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT_COLOR/ProTools/App/Tracks/UTrackList.cpp", line 1540.

This was returned on a fresh install of PT Studio using the latest version 2012.12, on a Mac M1 Mini on Monterey. Pro Tools is running via Rosetta.

Manually deleted the old preferences folder (from version 2012.7) prior to install.

It seems to happen specifically when I work from a template - I used the provided Post-Production "Basic Stereo with M&E" template and it returned the error.

Occasionally, when I start from a totally blank session and fresh start of PT, I am able to load in the video.

Providing this info in case it helps anyone in debugging.
-----
Old 02-01-2023, 07:44 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpot View Post
Dear everyone,

Mathieu
Does the session contain a lot of tracks with the alternative playlist? Could it be you have saved the session with the playlist track view for all the tracks so that the total amount of visible playlists is more than 2048?

Try to ISD your corrupted session into the new one, hope it will help you to recover.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:57 PM

Hi All,

I too am getting this error. and have started a support case (Case: 04568323). The error has been confirmed by support as repeatable and it's being looked into.

The trigger for the error for me is going into playlist view on a number of tracks (in order to conform them they need to be visible). This can often mean viewing a few hundred playlists on heavy sessions, which is a flow that has worked for me in previous versions of PT, for years, so I know it's possible).

With at least 2022.10 and 2022.12 (the versions I've tried) going into playlist view with track groups with many playlists triggers this assertion.

This has made conforming sessions with playlists quite laborious as I can only view playlists on a few tracks at a time to avoid triggering the error, cutting and shifting them, then repeating on a few more tracks.... instead of being able to conform all playlists at once as I used to be able to do.

Fingers crossed for a rapid fix.

Mac Studio Ultra 128GB // OS 12.6.3 // Focusrite Red16 Line // PT Ultimate 2022.12
Old 04-19-2023, 07:05 PM

I gut same this error when I imported a bounced mix file.
(this error dosen't occur when import to the track list.)

After remove all Video Tracks from the session, the Error has disappeared.
Please try it.

Mac Mini M2 / OS 13.3.1 / Apollo X16+16 / PT Studio 2023.3
Old 04-20-2023, 03:03 AM

This is a confirmed bug <PT-297645> and I can confirm it hasn't been fixed in the latest PT release (2023.3.0). Apparently there is no ETA on when it will be fixed, unfortunately.

I still get:
"Assertion in "/Users/autobid/gitlabci/PT_COLOR/ProToolsApp/Tracks/UTrackList.cpp" line 1540"

whenever I try to view a large number of playlists in a session (in order to conform to picture changes). This is regardless of whether there's a video track present or not.

It breaks functionality that used to work in previous versions of PT.

Hopefully AVID will escalate and fix soon.
Old 05-25-2023, 02:24 PM

same terrible error here, and PT crashes after that: Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT_COLOR/ProTools/App/Tracks/UTrackList.cpp", line 1540.

(Use the Copy button to copy this message to the clipboard.)

I use PT 2023.3 on Ventura
Old 05-26-2023, 02:13 AM

Yes, Pro Tools becomes unstable after the assertion and needs to be quit and restarted (not just the session). What a pain.