Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2022, 02:37 AM

Default Session file size changes with system

Anyone encounter this Protools behavior? I'm working on a project on two systems (a home system and a mix room system)-
1)Macbook Pro running Monterey using Protools Ulitmate 2022.12 - host based
2)Mac Mini running Monterey using Protools Ultimate 2022.07 - HD Native
Session goes back and forth with no issues - but the session files are quite different sizes.
MacBook Pro Session -54.6MB
Mac MIni Session - 8.6MB
I've gone back and forth multiple times and each saves the same exact session at different sizes.
This is the same session. If I work in the mix room it saves at 8MB. I take the same session and open it on my MBP and it saves at 56MB. I bring it back to the mix room and the 56MB saves at 8MB.

Any explanation for this behavior? Thanks!

Last edited by A_halasz; 12-29-2022 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Change title
Old 12-29-2022, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Session file size changes with system

A session file size of 56MB would usually be suspected as corrupt. But you're using a new version that was just released two days ago. Are you running Apple Silicon native? Could be something funny with 2022.12
Old 12-29-2022, 08:10 AM

This kind of behavior is very often plugins messin' with ya. Plugins get to write crap to your session file. Izotope RX is a frequent bad flyer here.

You may have different versions of plugins installed in each system. You might have done something subtlety different without knowing. You may have different preferences settings (have you tried trashing prefs on both systems?). Have you tried removing suspect plugin files? You might not be running identical operating systems versions, and that might cause a difference. The wind might be blowing a few degrees different direction... and it could be differences between running Intel or Apple Silicon environments.

Edit: and since the Pro Tools versions are not even identical... start there. You have to troubleshoot what is going on exactly between these systems, nobody here can guess the answer for you.

Not sure about the "HD Native" vs "Host based" labels, to be clear there is nothing not "host based" about HD Native.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-29-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:38 AM

Figured out the discrepancy - Using Space reverb - one system had the pref checked to save the IR's with the session - the other did not. I unchecked the save pref in Space and the file sizes saved identically. Thanks to all for input. Hope this post saves someone else time if they encounter this and wonder why the file size diff.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:40 AM

Thanks for posting the cause, great you found that... could have been a real mess to find what was happening.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:48 PM

Thanks for updating.