Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 08-10-2020, 06:05 PM

Default Re: S1 recommended router

There goes my stimulus lol. Thank you Eddie. Sorry to sound so uneducated.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:10 PM
Avid

Not at all, pleasure to help. Please post back after you get it and let me know how its going.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Look forward to hearing your results after you get things set up, and thanks RichR for sharing your info.

S1 and Dock here on an Apple Time Capsule 2TB (working fine but I should probably replace it in the not too distant future!). iPad Pro and Samsung Galaxy Tab A along with iMac (HD Native Thunderbolt) and Mac Mini (Eleven Rack) all WiFi. I open EuControl on the computer I'm currently running Pro Tools on.
Hi Jeffro! So we get the TP-Link AC1200 that RichR recommended to us!
When we test I come back here to share the results with you guys!
A big hug!
Old 08-12-2020, 08:17 PM

Leo, thank you for letting me post on your thread my issues with the Dock and S1.

Thank you Jeffro! Just installed the TP-Link AC2600 Smart WiFi Router and OH MY GOODNESS. Plug and play setup, instant recognization, and FAST.

A shout out to B&H audio, who got the unit to me about 7 days sooner than Amazon...

I can believe I've been producing for 2+ years with that other old router, bottlenecking and jerking around. Here I thought all along that it was the Artist Control, and even bought the Dock and S1, thinking that a new control surface would remedy things, when it was a router issue all along.

The AC2600 is instantaneous on all fronts. Thank you again :)
Old 08-14-2020, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmflange View Post
Leo, thank you for letting me post on your thread my issues with the Dock and S1.

Thank you Jeffro! Just installed the TP-Link AC2600 Smart WiFi Router and OH MY GOODNESS. Plug and play setup, instant recognization, and FAST.

A shout out to B&H audio, who got the unit to me about 7 days sooner than Amazon...

I can believe I've been producing for 2+ years with that other old router, bottlenecking and jerking around. Here I thought all along that it was the Artist Control, and even bought the Dock and S1, thinking that a new control surface would remedy things, when it was a router issue all along.

The AC2600 is instantaneous on all fronts. Thank you again :)
That's great to hear. I learned it's essential to have the right kind of router and also make sure to turn off wifi on your computer. In all fairness I got these tips from Eddie on older posts
Old 03-14-2023, 02:27 PM

To Whom It May Concern:

I have a Pro Tools Carbon interface connected via ethernet to my M1 Ultra Mac Studio, running Ventura 13.1.

I recently purchased an S1 and Dock, but simultaneously connecting them has been troublesome.

Initially, I connected the Dock to the Carbon's secondary ethernet port, which worked fine.

As the Mac Studio only has a single ethernet port, I used a Belkin Ethernet to USB-C adapter and connected the S1 directly to the Mac Studio'sThunderbolt 4 (up to 40Gb/s) port.

Upon opening Pro Tools, I receive an error message:

"Multiple network adapters on same subnet detected.

Multiple adapters on the same subnet may cause random issues with EuControl and other applications. Disable all adapters except one to avoid any networking problems.

Network adapters found:

Belkin USB-C LAN

Ethernet"

The documentation provided by Avid recommends using the TP-Link AC5400 router, but my current household router is downstairs, whereas my recording studio is in my attic.

I'd rather keep the household router—which the Mac Studio is wirelessly connected to—where it is, but running the ethernet cables to my attic studio seems daunting. Could I use an ethernet switcher/hub instead, or must I install the household router—a new TP-Link AC5400—in my attic studio?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

Last edited by mumblebee; 03-14-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:35 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblebee View Post
To Whom It May Concern:

I have a Pro Tools Carbon interface connected via ethernet to my M1 Ultra Mac Studio, running Ventura 13.1.

I recently purchased an S1 and Dock, but simultaneously connecting them has been troublesome.

Initially, I connected the Dock to the Carbon's secondary ethernet port, which worked fine.

As the Mac Studio only has a single ethernet port, I used a Belkin Ethernet to USB-C adapter and connected the S1 directly to the Mac Studio'sThunderbolt 4 (up to 40Gb/s) port.

Upon opening Pro Tools, I receive an error message:

"Multiple network adapters on same subnet detected.

Multiple adapters on the same subnet may cause random issues with EuControl and other applications. Disable all adapters except one to avoid any networking problems.

Network adapters found:

Belkin USB-C LAN

Ethernet"

The documentation provided by Avid recommends using the TP-Link AC5400 router, but my current household router is downstairs, whereas my recording studio is in my attic.

I'd rather keep the household router—which the Mac Studio is wirelessly connected to—where it is, but running the ethernet cables to my attic studio seems daunting. Could I use an ethernet switcher/hub instead, or must I install the household router—a new TP-Link AC5400—in my attic studio?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.
The error is because you have two network ports without a DHCP Server(router) connected to them. They both appear to the computer to be the same network (but are not). If you are using audio from the Carbon across the Ethernet, this can cause issues with EUCON as it competes for bandwidth. If you cant run a cable back to your home router for EUCON, the best bet is to buy another router and plug the S1 and Dock into it. Are you using the Avid Control App? If so it it connected to your home router and working fine?
Old 03-14-2023, 05:47 PM

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I'm using the Avid Control app; it's functional and connected to my Mac Studio via WiFi.

I have ordered another router that will stay in my studio. The process is to create a local network that has nothing to do with internet access; there's no need for this router to have WiFi, right?

Last edited by mumblebee; 03-14-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:22 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblebee View Post
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I'm using the Avid Control app; it's functional and connected to my Mac Studio via WiFi.

I have ordered another router that will stay in my studio. The process is to create a local network that has nothing to do with internet access; there's no need for this router to have WiFi, right?
Yes, another router will do it.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:28 PM

Thank you, Eddie. I'll let you know how it goes.