Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-02-2021, 05:04 PM

Default Too Many Tracks

Right, but that’s just outlining the total number of simultaneous tracks. Even clicking on the ‘learn about voices’ simply clarifies how many simultaneous voices can be played.

In the past, if you exceeded that number, you made certain tracks/voices inactive and it free’d them up so that you could add more tracks. As pointed out above by Reml@P, that is no longer the case. If you try to add one more track after you have 128 already in your session, it won’t allow you to add it, regardless if one or more of the other tracks are inactive.

This was not how it behaved in the past and what I’m trying to figure out is if this was a deliberate change in functionality or a bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2021, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Too Many Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
This was not how it behaved in the past and what I’m trying to figure out is if this was a deliberate change in functionality or a bug
Firstly, my apologies you perceived my reply before as rude. Wasn’t trying to be.

Re the change, it seems deliberate. It’s obviously an “incentive” for users to upgrade to HD. But when other DAWs don’t have this kind of limit imposed it just makes AVID look desperate.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reml@P View Post
Firstly, my apologies you perceived my reply before as rude. Wasn’t trying to be.

Re the change, it seems deliberate. It’s obviously an “incentive” for users to upgrade to HD. But when other DAWs don’t have this kind of limit imposed it just makes AVID look desperate.

All good. I too have written blunt posts that have been interpreted as rude. Hadn’t had my espresso yet.

It’s just weird that they’d do that now if it is deliberate. It’s not like you’re able to run more tracks. It’s handy having them there all in the one session from an organisational point of view. Quite baffling.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:47 AM

Voices is now only Ultimate thing. Standard allows you 128 tracks, whether mono or stereo, active or inactive.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Voices is now only Ultimate thing. Standard allows you 128 tracks, whether mono or stereo, active or inactive.

Yes, but as Reml@P pointed out, you can’t have more than 128 tracks in your session, regardless if they are active or inactive.

Again, in the past if you exceeded the track count, you could make a few tracks inactive and add some more. Those inactive tracks still appear in the session, but they don’t pass audio. That is no longer the case. You physically can not add more than 128 audio tracks to your session.

Aside from freeing up CPU resources, what is the point of having the make tracks inactive function now? You can’t add extra tracks, soooo...

Genuinely confused.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:56 AM

Yes, as said, in the past Standard software was also counting voices. Now it is only counting tracks. There is a hard limit to make things easier on First and Standard, if you want to go back to original workflow and counting voices you need Ultimate.

Remember, the charts had mention of "voiceable tracks". Now just "tracks". Good news is you can have 128 stereo tracks on Standard, which is equivalent to 256 voices.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

That's really stupid, but fortunately it's easy enough to work around thanks to how easy it is to import tracks. Just save a session copy with a new name and delete away.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:34 AM

So what happens with old sessions where you have more than 128 tracks (some of them inactive)? You can't open them? You have to pick and choose which tracks to open or PT just picks the first 128 and ignores the rest?
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 06-06-2021, 08:35 AM

I am thinking first 128 are swlected, rest ignored. Just like first 32 i/o are automatically selected when you use Core Audio

Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 PM

I’m still on PT 2019, but if I run in to the limit on audio tracks I found that not only did I have to inactivate them but I also had to -hide- them. Have you tried this? Have they taken that feature away ?