Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2023, 01:59 AM

Default Future of Pro Tools Carbon

I have been enjoying Pro Tools Carbon for a few years now. Next year I will have my home studio (hopefully) finally finished.

When the Carbon Pre extension units were announced last year, I was excited as PT Carbon could finally be expanded enough to cover all my needs. I will mainly track bands, including live sessions, only using basic plugins and the robust very low latency performance, and fully integrated workflow is ideal.

Now with the recent announcement of Avid considering a possible sale, it has thrown quite a lot of doubt on me getting the additional 2x Carbon Pres. The timing of my studio means I won’t need the Carbon Pres until late next year, so hopefully there will be some clarity by then. I may even just expand with other ADAT options instead, although less flexible, it means less risk.

Is anyone else concerned about this announcement? Is the sale likely to change anything with the development and support of the Carbon interface? I suppose historically the company has been sold multiple times, and Pro Tools HDX is still going, so maybe there should be reasonable confidence it will work out?

Last edited by Burgher; 05-28-2023 at 11:04 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-29-2023, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Future of Pro Tools Carbon

There have been several threads about this and from what understand it is not really an outright sale per. se ,,, more that a significant portion of the stock may change ownership

My guess is (and only a guess) not much will change . And I would think Carbon Series sales numbers , would be a much more significant determining factor in the future of Carbon than a change in ownership or stock.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-29-2023, 07:34 AM

Keep in mind that many companies change ownership with no visible disruption to the customer experience. Even companies like Gibson, which in the past have been notorious for killing brands, have for several years now owned KRK pro audio, and as far as I can see that brand continues to operate just as they always have, at least to the consumer.

This also applies to other industries. Think of how many times some of the major Hollywood Studios and record labels have changed ownership, and many people may not have even known it. This could also apply to food industries, airline industry, etc.

Basically if a companies products are successful, in many cases the new owners just leave it alone. Not always the case, but many times it is. They may see cost benefits that we are not aware of, even if it looks like nothing has changed.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:41 AM

I bought 2 expansions really early on. The first 2 that came to Sweden.

I love it. Soooo smooth. I havent had a single problem since I installed them and I make records for a living every day.

Couldnt be happier.

Best recording system Ive had.