How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-21-2022, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Very slow to activate/deactivate DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Just as another confirmation of the problem - I can put all 7 Metric Halo AAX DSP plugs on all 8 channels, and switch individual channels in and out in less than a second, or all 8 channels in or out in about 3 seconds. Those 56 plugs are a bigger load than bx_console on each channel.

Heat also behaves in the Metric Halo scenario.

So, something hokey about both bx_console and Arousor.

Dominic
I have this same issue with Sonarworks soundID plugin.

If you disable the plugins before arming/disarming the DSP, that has fixed it for me.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightamrock View Post
I have this same issue with Sonarworks soundID plugin.

If you disable the plugins before arming/disarming the DSP, that has fixed it for me.
Not quite sure what you mean "disable" is that bypass or make inactive ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-21-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming Kev, good to narrow the problem to certain plugs rather than setup or user error.
I’ll log the case with Avid and use different plugins for now.

Dominic
I can confirm the problem is with Carbon. I have HDX and Carbon installed in my Hackintosh. In HDX on a blank 8 mono or stereo-track session with bx Console N and the Arousor inserted it takes just under 4 seconds to switch between Native and DSP modes on all tracks at once. On a mono 32 track session it takes around 18 seconds or so to switch between Native and DSP modes on all tracks simultaneously. I will say the PIA bx Console N is noticeably slower to load than the Arosuor. If I try to switch modes on Carbon with 8 mono tracks and both plugins, it takes forever....several minutes like you said. If I use Avid's Channel strip and BF-76 plugins, it takes under 2 seconds to switch modes with Carbon.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
I can confirm the problem is with Carbon. I have HDX and Carbon installed in my Hackintosh. In HDX on a blank 8 mono or stereo-track session with bx Console N and the Arousor inserted it takes just under 4 seconds to switch between Native and DSP modes on all tracks at once. On a mono 32 track session it takes around 18 seconds or so to switch between Native and DSP modes on all tracks simultaneously. I will say the PIA bx Console N is noticeably slower to load than the Arosuor. If I try to switch modes on Carbon with 8 mono tracks and both plugins, it takes forever....several minutes like you said. If I use Avid's Channel strip and BF-76 plugins, it takes under 2 seconds to switch modes with Carbon.
Thanks, that's really useful to know - it looks like a problem for Avid to fix, not to plugin creator, if the behaviour is fine on HDX and not on Carbon.
Thanks for testing.

Dominic
Old 10-22-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Interesting BUT to clarify with your HDX system are you running a different interface than the Carbon (and not over AVB Ethernet ) ? And are you running HDX in Hybrid mode or classic HDX mode ?

Seems to me then the question is ( since there is no issue with Avid's plugins with Carbon, which certainly seems like a specific plug in code issue, but yet the HDX is faster with the problem same plugin's ) .... is that then a function of HDX having just over twice the DSP processing power or more ? .. or is it a function of the hybrid engine , or the AVB connection, etc. ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 10-23-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Interesting BUT to clarify with your HDX system are you running a different interface than the Carbon (and not over AVB Ethernet ) ? And are you running HDX in Hybrid mode or classic HDX mode ?

Seems to me then the question is ( since there is no issue with Avid's plugins with Carbon, which certainly seems like a specific plug in code issue, but yet the HDX is faster with the problem same plugin's ) .... is that then a function of HDX having just over twice the DSP processing power or more ? .. or is it a function of the hybrid engine , or the AVB connection, etc. ?

With the HDX I'm using the Avid HD 8x8x8 at this time.
Carbon is running over AVB from my USB-C /Thunderbolt ports via Apple's USB to Thunderbolt adapters.
More about my build here https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...0&postcount=22
I'm running HDX in Hybrid mode now.
Switching between Native and DSP modes for track recording is only available in the Hybrid mode in his example for HDX.
Carbon operates only in what Avid considers Hybrid mode.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by abc1mce2; 10-23-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Not quite sure what you mean "disable" is that bypass or make inactive ?
Bypass.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightamrock View Post
Bypass.
Trying to revive this thread. Arouser and Brainworks plugins still take up to 10 minutes to switch to DSP mode (on about 8-tracks)! Avid Plug-ins and McDSP plugins switch in seconds. Do we think that this will ever get fixed!? The whole reason I got a bunch of Brainworks plug-ins was so I could track with them in DSP mode.
Also just set up a MacMini M1 to test out the AppleSilicone built of Protools only to find out that the only 3rd party Plug-ins I own that work in AAX DSP mode is McDSP ones.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:21 PM

I was waiting to see whether the AS Native versions were any better. I didn't ever get round to logging a case with PA/Brainworx - I just bought the Metric Halo stuff instead as I needed to get on with things. But worth a revisit.

Dominic
Old 03-20-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I was waiting to see whether the AS Native versions were any better. I didn't ever get round to logging a case with PA/Brainworx - I just bought the Metric Halo stuff instead as I needed to get on with things. But worth a revisit.

Dominic
Yeah I had moved on and reaquanted my self with Avid Channel-strip and McDSP 6050. Which by the way work just as well in Native Silicone mode with Protools.
Neither one of those are as inspirational as the BX Channel-strips or Arousor but nobody has time to wait on those loading times. Lets see what they come up with with their eminent Silicon Native versions.