Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-04-2022, 05:06 PM

Default Source-Nexus vs Source-Connect Standard ???

I've got a source connect VO session on Tues. I'll be doing mono 48k to/from one connection. I installed a 14-day trial of "Source-Connect Standard 3.8" for Windows. It seems to be working with Pro Tools, but I'll know for sure on Monday when I test-connect with somebody.

Question:
Should I have gotten "Source-Nexus 1.3" instead of "Source-Connect Standard 3.8"? What's the difference? Which should I get? Thanks!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-04-2022, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Source-Nexus vs Source-Connect Standard ???

Source-Nexus and Source Connect are two completely different product that work congruently but you cannot use Source-Nexus as a substitute for Source-Connect..

If you’re connecting with another party using Source-Connect, Source-Connect is what you want and need.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:58 PM

Source Nexus is like a virtual audio device for routing your audio from inside pro tools to other programs such as zoom, and receiving audio back form them. We use it if we are doing a session, either in our booth or to remote talent on source connect, and a client wants to listen in/ direct form a remote location.. you use nexus as the input and output of zoom instead of a mic and speakers. You put Nexus over an aux track and send the talent and your talkback to it and the output from zoom comes out the aux channel in pro tools.
The audio quality is still dependent on the other program, so zoom still sounds like zoom. You can use source connect now with nexus for higher quality 'listen ins' but the person joining in needs Chrome browser. In theory you could use Source connect now and Nexus to record in pro tools, but I've never tried it, we just use Source connect.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:47 AM

Just to note, you cannot use Source-Connect Now to connect to someone using Source-Connect. Again, these are two different utilities. They offer similar functionality but do not work together.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:19 AM

If you are an engineer, my advise is to get Source Connect Pro. Otherwise if something happens on the connection, you loose files. Also if you are just talent, then I know a lot of people are fine using the Standard Source Connect with no problems.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-05-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
If you are an engineer, my advise is to get Source Connect Pro. Otherwise if something happens on the connection, you loose files. Also if you are just talent, then I know a lot of people are fine using the Standard Source Connect with no problems.G
As a Talent I always record a backup of the session and offer to upload the 24/48 file at the end of the session.

I have worked with a studio that used Source-Connect NOW to record me at their end, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Personally, for the best audio from a producer remoting in to direct the session, I would recommend Zencastr.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-05-2022, 01:03 PM

I did some Source-Connect remote stuff a while back and getting everything to work smoothly was enough trouble that I ended up running it on a separate laptop running its own audio interface that I fed as if it were one of my headphone mixes

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-05-2022, 04:08 PM

I always recommend using Source-Connect "standalone" rather than using it as a plug-in. Fortunately I can use TotalMix to route Sends from Pro Tools to Source-Connect outside of Pro Tools, hence the term "standalone".

I started doing it this way when using the plug-in caused intermittent squeaks and squawks in the incoming signal from the remote studio. Luckily not in my audio going to the remote studio. I'm on Windows and Source-Elements Support said they had a fix for the issue in the next release, but that's been waiting in the wings for a few years. In the meantime they suggested purchasing a separate interface as albee does. Not in the budget, so I learned the alternative I described.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-05-2022, 08:34 PM

Source Connect’s tech support is outstanding! I wrestled with it on my Windows system, got ghosted by some well-known supposed “audio guru” (which tells me he had no idea how to make it work with Pro Tools on Windows in the first place.) One e-mail to SC tech support, I got a call within minutes, and she had me up and running in no time. Culprit: besides Pro Tools not liking to share hardware, neither, it seems, does a UA Apollo 8. So, all my Source Connect goes both directions thru a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Works beautifully.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I always recommend using Source-Connect "standalone" rather than using it as a plug-in. Fortunately I can use TotalMix to route Sends from Pro Tools to Source-Connect outside of Pro Tools, hence the term "standalone".
Yeah we're on Mac, but I use the link plugin all the time and it works flawlessly.