Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Default PT startup stalls at "setting up peripherals"

My main mix seat has been working flawlessly for two years. Suddenly, PT hangs on startup at "setting up peripherals". Well, it doesn't hang indefinitely, but it does stall for about 5 minutes. Other than this, the software operates correctly.

The system is an HD 3, on an Intel Quad 2.8, running PT 7.4.2 on OS 10.5.3. It has a C24 hooked up and a Midisport Midi IO for MMC and MTC to the other system.

I have trashed all prefs, digi setup etc. I have switched ethernet ports for the c24. I have disabled MMC and MTC in the peripheral settings. I have rebuilt the midi setup for the system. Nothings fixes it.

Logging on to the guest account does not reproduce the problem. It starts up fine on that side. So I think I can eliminate hardware and cable connections.

Sometimes when I go to the ethernet controllers tab and rescan the ethernet ports, two C24 options will appear in the drop down menu. One of them is in the "inactive italics" font. Selecting the other one, connects to the C24 correctly.

If I had to guess, it appears that there are some corrupt setting files somewhere. I just don't know where to go for this. Do I need to re-install the midi driver? Do I need to re-install PT? Even if everything works fine in another account on the same system, with the same exact settings?

Any insight would be appreciated. This is not a critical issue, but it is very annoying.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Re: PT startup stalls at "setting up peripherals"

Same here.
The only thing I can recall doing is having a drive get delivered from an older system that had SYNC IO and CONTROL SURFACE- which I don't use. I copied over the session to my local drives and since then, my whole system stalls @ peripherals during launch. Same config as posted above.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM

I have seen this before.

Try reinstalling the PT update. I vaguely remember it fixing it for a while.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Have you tried changing the order of the network interfaces in System preferences?

Move the C24 Ethernet to the top of the list. Can't remember how this appears in 10.5 but in 10.6 there's a Set Service Order option in Network panel.

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor