Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Default delay compensation vs recording new takes on VI's

- since 10 this has gotten worse for me on an HD 3 - not sure why. Buffer is 256, long delay comp. I have an insert on my master i/o - no huge latency limiter plugin. Now I do use quite a few VI's and plugins usually and my problem is when I have a nice groove going and things are sounding tight I pop a new instrument into record mode and then timing of everything goes out the window till I'm done recording and everything is back to normal. How can this possibly be "pro" tools...I don't get it - what am I missing ?
Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 AM

Default Re: delay compensation vs recording new takes on VI's

I'm having this as well on 10, HD4 system with Magma, can't say i noticed this on 9. Pretty unusable at the moment, has an option changed or something?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 AM

Hi,

Only the track you place into record should be bypassed from the delay comp! All other tracks should remain compensated and stay in time.

Unless the track you are recording midi onto is routed to the same VI? Then that same VI will be bypassed etc.

Also check all tracks are routed to the same master outputs. And if you are using a mix bus (Aux) then all tracks are going through this bus before the master fader.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 AM

this has been consistently one of the most infuriating issues in PT HD 9 and 10.

how is one supposed to musically overdub/punch into a VI if what you are punching into is not in time.
and yet PT LE users dont have this issue.

amazing
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM

It only works if you bypass delay comp on the return track of the VI track that you are recording midi to. You then have to un-bypass delay comp on that same VI return track for it to play back in time. I totally agree that this is not at all a desirable workflow no matter how you look at it.