How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-30-2021, 04:30 PM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
Are you serious? I am watching midi notes disappear as I am editing right now...
I am being serious - never had MIDI notes disappear on me. Nor many of the other 'problems' people are having with PT MIDI.

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2021, 09:42 PM

I also really enjoy Pro Tools MIDI. I agree that everyone who complains about the MIDI in Pro Tools just hasn't taken the time to really learn it.

Here is my list of things I really want to see improved:

1. MIDI editing has got really slow. I'm on a Mac Pro 7,1 (16 core, 170 GB RAM) and many times when I am adjusting velocities or mod wheel automation, it hangs for seconds which is really surprising. It used to be very quick and fast on editing. But ever since they optimized the low latency modes with the audio engine, MIDI has all of sudden become very slow with editing.

2. New bug now exists with rendering the sustain pedal to note lengths on instrument tracks. I now constantly get assertion errors from trying to do this. If I move the midi to a MIDI track and do the same command, it doesn't have the problem.

3. I would LOVE to have an option to turn off auditioning MIDI notes when lassoing the notes. I am aware that you can turn of MIDI auditioning in the tool bar, but I wish I could just leave it on and be able to make selections without it blowing out my speakers.

4. MIDI real time properties for transpose should respond differently when you are not "Displaying Events as Modified by Real-Time Properties". For example, if you have the preference unchecked and you transpose the clip or track using real time properties, when you click on the notes, it should audition the transposed note pitch, not the displayed note pitch.

5. I would LOVE to see playlist view finally come to MIDI.

6. I would love to see the ability to lock MIDI notes in the MIDI editor for certain tracks so that you can view other tracks underneath the one you are editing, but when you make selections and edits, it only edits the tracks you want to edit and ignores the locked tracks.

7. This would be a ton of work, but I'd love to see the Workspace views be dockable to the Edit Window. Possibly as a secondary window by the clips bin or Tracks List (kind of like how we have Universe and Clips Effects sharing the top). Then the addition of being able to easily load MIDI instruments and MIDI Loops. Basically ripping off Logics ease of use with loading instruments and loops.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 08-30-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I also really enjoy Pro Tools MIDI. I agree that everyone who complains about the MIDI in Pro Tools just hasn't taken the time to really learn it.

1. MIDI editing has got really slow. I'm on a Mac Pro 7,1 (16 core, 170 GB RAM) and many times when I am adjusting velocities or mod wheel automation, it hangs for seconds which is really surprising. It used to be very quick and fast on editing. But ever since they optimized the low latency modes with the audio engine, MIDI has all of sudden become very slow with editing.

2. New bug now exists with rendering the sustain pedal to note lengths on instrument tracks. I now constantly get assertion errors from trying to do this. If I move the midi to a MIDI track and do the same command, it doesn't have the problem.

3. I would LOVE to have an option to turn off auditioning MIDI notes when lassoing the notes. I am aware that you can turn of MIDI auditioning in the tool bar, but I wish I could just leave it on and be able to make selections without it blowing out my speakers.

4. MIDI real time properties for transpose should respond differently when you are not "Displaying Events as Modified by Real-Time Properties". For example, if you have the preference unchecked and you transpose the clip or track using real time properties, when you click on the notes, it should audition the transposed note pitch, not the displayed note pitch.

6. I would love to see the ability to lock MIDI notes in the MIDI editor for certain tracks so that you can view other tracks underneath the one you are editing, but when you make selections and edits, it only edits the tracks you want to edit and ignores the locked tracks.

7. This would be a ton of work, but I'd love to see the Workspace views be dockable to the Edit Window. Possibly as a secondary window by the clips bin or Tracks List (kind of like how we have Universe and Clips Effects sharing the top). Then the addition of being able to easily load MIDI instruments and MIDI Loops. Basically ripping off Logics ease of use with loading instruments and loops.
Point 1 - Same Mac here and yes, it has become more sluggish. I’m not sure but I put it down to when PT started supporting 4K and the “Open in low resolution” option was added when you “Get info” on the Pro Tools app in the Finder.

Point 3 - Yes definitely! A preference not to audition when lassoing notes. I suggested this years ago but it fell on deaf ears unfortunately.

Point 6 - Great idea.

Re. point 7. I’d like to see this too but in its current form, the Workspace window is maybe too big and unwieldy? Personally, I think the Workspace window needs a lot of work. I’m constantly frustrated by it for one reason or another.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post

Item 1:
I think this may be more of an OSX issue than strictly PT. Try opening a large pdf like the PT manual and use the up/down arrows in Adopbe Reader to move from page to page. Very often I get hangs and then things catch up.

Item 3:
I like being able to hear the notes as I lasso them; not at full volume though. Maybe a preference to set a dim level for audio when in the MIDI editor would work?

Item 6:
Yes.

My own thoughts:
People complain about editing velocities in the MIDI editor. I don't edit them there. What I'll do is select the notes and then edit the velocity in the MIDI event list. Takes a little longer but gets me what I want. Speaking of the MIDI event list I'd like to have the show/hide options window stay open and see the changes immediately in the event list and not have to close that window.

QAPLA!
Old 08-31-2021, 08:38 AM

Scripting for MIDI would be great. (Rule-based compensation for different instrument articulation delays would be amazing, so the ability to create these would take PT to a plane above.) Brand-agnostic plug-in editing support incorporated into a completely customizable interface usable in an extra touch screen or tablet would be great too, but since dense MIDI slows down operation so much, the demands of an addition like this might best be left to an external app.

But at the very least, customizable transformation presets would be great.

Articulation management would be great too - though there are ways around not having it directly. But it would speed things up greatly.

Slowdowns of editing should be optimized. Big virtual orchestra sessions get fairly slow.

How about a more robust dual-buffer system, where a selected VI track gets its own tiny very low latency buffer and everything else gets a bigger one? Why isn’t this universal yet?

And maybe this was just me - but I’d like it if it hadn’t been necessary to use Video Slave to sync to picture because the video giant that puts Pro Tools out didn’t have a stable solution for me.

I got through near 50 episodes of heavy animation virtual orchestra score in Pro Tools, so it can be done. Many things I like about how PT does things - there is very little in the system that encourages writing in a certain way, which is a plus to me.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:04 AM

Right now you can't split a MIDI region containing MIDI notes crossing the edit line without notes disappearing. We need the prompt option that Logic has: "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split?"

Yes, you can switch to notes mode and use Command E to get the scissors tool, but try that on multiple tracks where the selection might include audio tracks. It doesn't work.

If you want to edit large regions of audio and MIDI at the same time, forget about it. You will lose any MIDI note that traverses the edit selection line.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
Avid, fix the sample rounding bug for Pete’s sake!!!

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409558

Avid are aware and acknowledged it but still will not fix it!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1720...0721126908470/
I'm moving to Nuendo because of this.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I'm moving to Nuendo because of this.
It is becoming a deal breaker for me too!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 09-01-2021, 04:14 AM

A drum editor view would be nice to go along with the score editor and piano roll editor. Simply add a toggle button just like what we have to view score editor. Should be pretty easy to do.

Lots of great suggestions here.

I expect pt to be the flagship in everything and for it to simply work. I while shift a region one sample is very minute…I expect pro tools to be almost perfect and to fix bugs like this. Pro tools is not a toy and carries a hefty price tag to stay in the game. It’s the most expensive daw to run and stay up to date. Thus I have a higher expectation of pro tools than I do of other daws…that is suppose to be what these subscription fees and support contracts are for. I hope they are watching this thread and step it up. They won’t survive if they keep allowing other daws to gain ground. Eventually the new guard will become the old guard amd retire. Then what?
Old 09-01-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
Are you serious? I am watching midi notes disappear as I am editing right now...
I know some users report this and other strange stuff as well, for myself I never had those notes dessappearing and I use midi in PTools quite a lot.Never understood what could be the cause, it must be a configuration thing
[PTools Ultimate 2021.7/mac OS Catalina]