Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-16-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Digital Mixer as Control Surface

Hey
Has anyone been able to sucessfully use a digital mixer (eg. behringer,yamaha 01V) as a control surface with Pro Tools. I mean not really full control just to be able to control the faders and panning and stuff likle that.

I'm thinking about getting a Digi 001 and was wondering if this would work?

Thanks
Tukkis
Old 05-16-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Digital Mixer as Control Surface

TASCAM DM-24 w/HUI Emulation, It does not provide "full-control" as you say, but I think it will do what you want. Plus, I think its a great sounding mixer; seems warmer than my friend's Yamaha O2R.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:23 PM

I helped my ex-boss set up his project studio to use his 01V as a complete control surface. It can be done. It is not easy. It requires a special midi cable that was a pain to find at the time, but is probably readily available nowadays. I couldn't recall exactly how to do it again without reading loads of manuals. Good Luck.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:10 AM

So it can be done.
I remember reading somewhere that you have to program pro tools so the mixer acts as one that is compatible with pro tools.

Would it be a better choice to get the Digi 001 and a Mackie Control? The Mackie is matched for pro tools isn't it?

If I went this way I would probably have to get a 8ch mic preamp unit to feed the mics into the 001.

Thanks
Tukkis
Old 05-17-2003, 02:24 AM

Actually it is the other way around. You have to program the device, so it acts like one of the controlsurfaces that protools recognizes.

The Mackie control can be used because mackie decided to add HUI-emulation to the control, and the HUI is also recognized by ptle.

Bastiaan
Old 05-17-2003, 02:30 AM

I used my O1V as a control surface, but I found that mixing with the mouse is easier... No need to lean towards the mixer! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2003, 02:33 AM

Ok
So mainly people buy digital mixers just for the preamps and the digital signal, not for a control surface as well?

Tukkis
Old 05-17-2003, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tukkis:
Ok
So mainly people buy digital mixers just for the preamps and the digital signal, not for a control surface as well?

Tukkis
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">an 01v will add extra ins/outs to the 001 via optical and s/pdif. you can also route the digi back through the 01v and and use the onboard fx, but with pc's as fast as the are these days, there is really no need for that. the 01v does not make a great control surface for pt. programming it is easy, but takes a little time. you can control the pt "on screen" faders with the 01v, but not the 01v with the screen faders. i found that using the 01v faders to control on screen faders was not as precise as using the mouse. you can also control other features, panning, start, stop, but not the pt fx parameters.

i had an 01v, but i sold it because i didnt use it. if you are looking specifically for a control surface, there are better options. if you simply want more inputs for the digi 001, there are other options.

you should check out the digi 002. it costs about the price of a digi 001 + 01v.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:13 AM

You can use the 01v, most people I know that consider purchasing it have in mind the idea of using it as a controller. It is a pain to set up, you've really got to bust out the manuals and figure out how to make the proper changes inside the 01v so that it will work correctly. Most 01v customers I know are not terribly impressed by the pres or converters, but they usually aren't very displeased either, more like if they had more money they'd buy better ones anyway.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:46 AM

01V is a good mixer. But IMO. IF you are looking for Pres and a Controller... why don't simplly get a 8 channel Pre and a well desgined controller? (Motor Mix.. Mackie Control.. HUI.. COntrol 24..)

Then you can use all the money on what you need. if you get a digital mixer.. you may got something duplicated ... the FX and effects, the bus power and the mixing power of the 01V...

I just want to give some different ideas.. ^^:

I know a controler + 8ch pre will cost more than a 01V..