Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2001, 02:44 AM

Default Band in a box

Wouldn't it be nice if Digidesign would integrate a Band in a Box like module in Protools and Protools Le?
I use Band in a Box for some things and it's very powerfull.
I hope you guys will support me,
Take care

------------------
www.ogmrecordings.com
Old 02-06-2001, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Band in a box

FWIW I totally agree.....BIAB is very useful and you don't have to work at the MIT Media lab to know how to get it to do useful work (sorta like SDII)
Old 02-06-2001, 02:08 PM

For quick and dirty demos, I've exported the BIAB files to SMF and then imported to PTLE where I REALLY start the work.

I actually ended up using about 75% of a piano track from BIAB once, and I've used the core of several drum tracks from it.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-08-2001, 11:44 AM

I so totally agree - Can i suggest going a stage further: i use both BIAB and a hardware arranger/sequencer by yamaha - the QY700. This machine can produce some excellent backing tracks but its flexibility is limited by the firmware. however its forte is that it supports the XG internally ( it has a competent internal XG sound module ) . The benefit here is that each backing track comes with all of its effects, reverb, pan etc set up in detail. The result sounds a lot more "produced" than a typical BIAB backing part going thru a GM box.

Now that yamaha and roland have made up ad are both going to support XG - any built in backing module should not just feature just the midi and patch settings for the backing track but ALL the settings for effects, routing etdc ala XG. Perhaps the settings could use the default effects thst come standard with DIGI pt - but with some easy provision to map the reverb/compression settings onto your favourite plugin.

Built in backing band/ arrange would not be a gimmick for amateurs - but as many can testify, a really great vehicle for inspiration as well as enhancing productivity.

Go on DIGI - do it! - or if not - at least expose an API that allows third party developers to do it/ ( who knows - maye even me! ) . I'm sure DIGI and PG Music could do a deal....