Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Default Triggering "step-thru" loops with Roland TD-4, SPD-S, and mac possible?

Hey guys... I've been searching thru the forums, "googling", and youtube, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Here's my current setup:

Roland TD-4 (connected to mixer and Macbook via roland UM-1G midi interface)
Roland SPD-S (currently connected to mixer)

I use Logic 8 and the Addictive Drums package, as well as Garageband on the macbook. I have no problems using the SPD-S in wave or patch mode for triggering loops, but only in a "start/stop" or overlayering fashion. What I'd really like to be able to do is trigger a "step-thru" type loop like my friend's TD-20. I'm not sure if I'm using the right words; basically, you hit one pad and each time you hit it, it steps thru the loop, one note at a time. There's alot of videos on youtube from the NAMM events that show it, but it's always on the newer 'brains'. Here's a video of Johnny Rabb on the TD-20KX kit; perfect example is at 1:22 (melodious) and 2:10 (neotype) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMF1WzRKus4#.

I really don't have the money to drop to get a new drum set, but I wouldn't be opposed to pick up ProTools, Ableton, or a similar program that might help out.

Has anyone ever tried to do this, or are there any forum posts I might have missed?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

**EDIT**
From more searching, Roland uses the term "Tap Sequencing" and from what I can tell, it was available on the TD6, 8, 12, 20, and now the 30.

I've gotten closer with looking at Ableton Live videos/guides about "slicing to MIDI" but still not quite there...

--rob
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Triggering "step-thru" loops with Roland TD-4, SPD-S, and mac possible?

You might load the audio of your loops into Structure Free and assign each to a single midi note value that corresponds to pad midi note value in the Roland brain

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Triggering "step-thru" loops with Roland TD-4, SPD-S, and mac possible?

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can tell right on the surface, I'm not sure if it will handle multiple "notes" per pad, which is what I'm looking to do (basically, hitting one pad in sequence will give you C, D, E, F, G, A, B, etc)

I'll definitely take a look more in depth at the plugin tho, and see what it can really do.

--rob