Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Best foot controller for 11r?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
Well I want to able to change patches. I had an old Zoom effect processor and I use to have on each back in pedal One: the distortion, pedal two: chorus, pedal three: randon effect and 4 the wah wah.
If you still have this effect processor I'd try connecting it to the 11 rack via midi. You never know if it might work and it would of course be the cheapest option

I actually use a cheap footswitch I had laying around. It's actually pretty cool: the third pedal either switches between the two functions or turn off/on both functions. I have mine set up to switch between delay and the fx loop (which I use for boost), so when I press the third pedal and I'm not using delay and the fx loop I get a boost + delay => instant solo time

I'm selling of lots of pedals though and when I've sold some I'll probably get the ground control pro. (I need more buttons to press )
Awesome: Eleven Rack (with EXRP)+ M-Audio Bx8a's
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
Every time I see how much gear costs in Oz, I just cringe - really feel sorry for your pocket book!
Things have been pretty good recently though, what with our dollar being about as strong as Arnie Also the internet helps out rather a lot with sourcing gear cheaper...still sucks compared to what you guys pay, but it's a lot closer than it was when our dollar was around US$0.5
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024
Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 AM

At the moment the FCB1010 with the 11PROM Would seem to be the most complete plug and play option for the 11Rack.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-29-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remis View Post
Things have been pretty good recently though, what with our dollar being about as strong as Arnie Also the internet helps out rather a lot with sourcing gear cheaper...still sucks compared to what you guys pay, but it's a lot closer than it was when our dollar was around US$0.5
Well, it certainly exceeeded my prediction of $1.05, now some are saying $1.15 .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Vercingetorix is correct: there is no "ideal" controller in the sense that you get two-way communication between the controller and the ER.
Sorry to bring this thread back up - but I just wanted to confirm that I understand this right. I have an old ART X-15 Ultrafoot that I've been able to hookup to the 11R. It does the PC and CC midi controls nicely as well as having two expression pedals where I'm able to assign 1 for wah and 1 for volume.

My issue is this, when it is in effect mode, it allows me to turn effects on/off and there are 10 different switches for this. If I am understanding the above correctly - there is no way to have the controller read the effect status from the ER. So when I change patches, there is no way to sync the effect on/off to the ER? For example, if one patch I was using had the reverb turned on - the effect light on the pedal board would be lit. I then switch patches to one that doesn't have reverb turned on, and the light is still lit even though the effect is off. If I press the switch - it will turn off the light on the X-15, and if I press it again, it will turn back on and turn the effect on in the 11R. Of course this phenomenon is seen on all 10 switches, so there are potentially 10 switches out of sync.

Is there no way to have the 11R push the status of the effect on/off via midi or some other way?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM

The best you can hope for, until such time as Avid adds two-way communication (along with support for specific MIDI controllers since there's no standard way of updating status indicators), is to find a controller that lets you preset the state of all the CC indicators when you select a new patch. You'd program the controller's indicators to match the state of the patch's FX enables on the ER. Toggling the CC value would then have the effect of keeping the ER and the controller's indicators in sync. Of course, it all falls apart if you press a button on the ER...
Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 AM

Hey Avid, make a foot controller for this thing already!

May I suggest you buy the rights to manufacture the StealthBoard from IK Multimedia and spray paint it orange.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
The best you can hope for, until such time as Avid adds two-way communication (along with support for specific MIDI controllers since there's no standard way of updating status indicators), is to find a controller that lets you preset the state of all the CC indicators when you select a new patch. You'd program the controller's indicators to match the state of the patch's FX enables on the ER. Toggling the CC value would then have the effect of keeping the ER and the controller's indicators in sync. Of course, it all falls apart if you press a button on the ER...

OK, thanks for letting me know. That raises another question though - how does ProTools know the status in the 11R window? Is it possible to have protools push out the CC messages to the foot controller if you had it running with the 11R?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM

PT talks to the ER over USB. The protocol is certainly undocumented; probably proprietary.

Someone who knows PT (I don't) would have to address the question of whether it'd be possible to emit MIDI in response to ER and controller actions.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The best you can hope for, until such time as Avid adds two-way communication (along with support for specific MIDI controllers since there's no standard way of updating status indicators), is to find a controller that lets you preset the state of all the CC indicators when you select a new patch.
That's what the Fractal MFC101 does, right?