Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Does anyone know? Or care?

What will Digi give us "LE" users on the next version?
More tracks?
PDC?
S.M.P.T.E.?
Surround?
Maybe a Digi wrapper for VST to RTAS?
A Midi sequencer that'll hang with other D.A.W.'s sequencers?
192k capability? Not really that important, but it's the future!
Digi throw us a bone!!!! I know your reading this and I know you can't give us a release date , but some kind of a "This is on the slate" message at least.
I'm still diggin' "Ol' number 3"--my 002, but gawd when I visit some of my buds who are running other D.A.W.'s I FREAK at what they can do and what they have in their systems.
O.K. (what are they running?) ---Nuendo sounds incredible and the surround on it...Wow..it's Native! Works great with a UAD-1.
Cubase...Gawd it's midi is quite nice!
Logic...man the number of synths my bud gets on one session is down right ignant !

Am I jealous..........uh.....hmm......HELL YEAH I got Pro Tools....err...oops..."LE".

I know they all have their flaws, as does P.T.L.E.
Pro Tools Kills ALL in the audio editing department, there's just other features -LE- could have that would make it Undisputed...Top Dawg of the Native D.A.W.'s!
I really really don't want to jump ship...grass aint always greener on the other side, but I'd like my system to be able to hang with any and all competition!

Does anyone else care?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Does anyone know? Or care?

Hello. What is it you are ultimately after? Is it just a pissing contest?
Quote:
Am I jealous..........uh.....hmm......HELL YEAH..there's just other features -LE- could have that would make it Undisputed...Top Dawg of the Native D.A.W.'s...I'd like my system to be able to hang with any and all competition!
Do you use your system for business or as a hobby? If it is for business, what does LE not have that you need for your business? And if it doesn't have it and you do need it for your business, why have you not gone for the correct tool for the job to satisfy your client?

If it is not for business, and it's just your personal use, there are roughly two major categories there. Professionals who use it to compose or edit and eventually do the bulk of their business elsewhere (film composing, Post, music, etc) or hobbyists. Hobbyists can be anything from a guy that messes with it once a month or a frustrated hopeful who has a day job but uses it a lot.

In any case, if it's not a commercial business, it seems to me that there is an element of a pissing contest just for the sake of it. You know, the old 'My DAW can do 200 surround tracks with 1000 plug ins, what can yours do?' Do you absolutely without a doubt need any of the features that LE doesn't have? Is it a dealbreaker? If it is, why are you using PT LE? If it's just a matter of being able to brag that your DAW can also do whatever, I just don't understand that.

In the final analysis, I don't ever have these dilemmas personally. Anyone familiar with my posting history knows that I advocate using many different software. Just like we use many different mics, compressors, mic pre's etc, I also use different software. So this is never an issue for me. is there a reason why you can't use both LE and Logic, or DP or Nuendo or Cubase or whatever?

That being said, if you absolutely, positively without a doubt need to only use one software, and that software must beyond a shadow of a doubt have these features you listed for you to get your work done, then isn't the answer already spelled out? Drop Pro Tools and move on to the software that gives you what you need.

If you just want these features just so you can know that you won a pissing contest, then I really don't know what to tell you there.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:04 PM

for me, the LE system doesn't have sufficient track count. actually, the LE software does, but the hardware lacks. i'm talking about live foh mixing and the 16 audio inputs + one spdif i/o for reverb is not always enough. i hate compromicing and often have to, but don't yet afford a HD system.

that is the ONLY gripe i have, together with this 002R power harness that has proven to be unreliable as hell. fortunately i can make quick fixes and have a spare cable available, but still, i would rather trust that my hardware is still standing even if the software should fail.

i would also like to have wordclock i/o, but most of all, i need more audio i/o for the system. i'd buy a 003R instantly had it more adat i/o - as i have stated elsewhere, i'd dream of the thing having 4 pairs of adat i/o that were capable of smux, leaving the option open for the user whether one wishes to get 32 tracks of 44.1khz audio or 16 tracks of 96khz audio. plus, i'd dream of having four spdif i/o that were dedicated for insert use (not being able to designated as audio input tracks) if digi insist on keeping the 32 voice limit. or, hell, in fact they could be able to be designated as audio inputs, but it would be up to the user which inputs one would be assigning voices. if it's 32 voices digi wants to put as a separation to LE and HD systems, so let it be, but anyway... I WANT BETTER LE HARDWARE !!!!

let me be able to use all the 32 voices at once, and i will be very happy. the audio interface doesn't need any analog boards, just enough connectivity. let the user make the decision about what preamps one chooses to buy and how many. make the 003R an all-digital solution and it will sell a lot. DIGI, WAKE UP !!

the protools software is very nice as it is. if something, i would like to have more sends. eight maybe? or as today's standards in software engineering are, what about "any number" a user wants to have and the system is capable of? let me select how many sends/inserts the session will use - how about that? in some cases i might be happy with two sends, sometimes i'd want to make a dozen individual monitor mixes. it cannot be so hard, because in reality the hardest part is to make GUI adjust to the idea. or maybe there's control surfaces to think of also, but anyway, that would be just about the only feature i'd like to be added to the software. keep it up digi, the protools is a very good software!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Hello. What is it you are ultimately after? Is it just a pissing contest?
Quote:
Am I jealous..........uh.....hmm......HELL YEAH..there's just other features -LE- could have that would make it Undisputed...Top Dawg of the Native D.A.W.'s...I'd like my system to be able to hang with any and all competition!
Do you use your system for business or as a hobby? If it is for business, what does LE not have that you need for your business? And if it doesn't have it and you do need it for your business, why have you not gone for the correct tool for the job to satisfy your client?

If it is not for business, and it's just your personal use, there are roughly two major categories there. Professionals who use it to compose or edit and eventually do the bulk of their business elsewhere (film composing, Post, music, etc) or hobbyists. Hobbyists can be anything from a guy that messes with it once a month or a frustrated hopeful who has a day job but uses it a lot.

In any case, if it's not a commercial business, it seems to me that there is an element of a pissing contest just for the sake of it. You know, the old 'My DAW can do 200 surround tracks with 1000 plug ins, what can yours do?' Do you absolutely without a doubt need any of the features that LE doesn't have? Is it a dealbreaker? If it is, why are you using PT LE? If it's just a matter of being able to brag that your DAW can also do whatever, I just don't understand that.

In the final analysis, I don't ever have these dilemmas personally. Anyone familiar with my posting history knows that I advocate using many different software. Just like we use many different mics, compressors, mic pre's etc, I also use different software. So this is never an issue for me. is there a reason why you can't use both LE and Logic, or DP or Nuendo or Cubase or whatever?

That being said, if you absolutely, positively without a doubt need to only use one software, and that software must beyond a shadow of a doubt have these features you listed for you to get your work done, then isn't the answer already spelled out? Drop Pro Tools and move on to the software that gives you what you need.

If you just want these features just so you can know that you won a pissing contest, then I really don't know what to tell you there.
Who's pissin' ???
Yep...I do my own stuff and record others, so it's personal and business. I could give a rats ass about 200 surround tracks with 1000 plug ins. We have Pro Tools folks! Hell f**king yeah I get upset when I see what other D.A.W.'s can do that my Pro Tools system can't. And track count or plug-in counts aren't the reason I get lippy!
I bought my sytem because it was PRO TOOLS, and I'm pretty sure everyone else got theirs for the same reason --PRO TOOLS-- The name means dependability, reliablity, and the most recognized audio system in the World.
And yes, it's LE.
But it's lacking features that that come standard with other D.A.W.'s!

I asked.... ""What will Digi give us in the next version""". Then I said, ""I'm still diggin' "Ol' number 3"--my 002""

--Froyo----Do you absolutely without a doubt need any of the features that LE doesn't have?---
Hey....there are just standard features that come with other D.A.W.'s that -LE- does not have. And yeah I know what's coming:::::::::just go to a HD system. If money was no object, none of us would be in this -LE- forum...would we?

((((****-I don't believe anywhere did I say I can't use other software with P.T.L.E.))))

--Froyo----I also use different software. So this is never an issue for me. is there a reason why you can't use both LE and Logic, or DP or Nuendo or Cubase or whatever?----

--Froyo----That being said, if you absolutely, positively without a doubt need to only use one software, and that software must beyond a shadow of a doubt have these features you listed for you to get your work done, then isn't the answer already spelled out? Drop Pro Tools and move on to the software that gives you what you need.------
Huh?

Like I said....I just asked if anyone knew or cared what Digi will give us in the next version, stated what I thought would be helpful...and gave a few examples of what other D.A.W.'s out there can do that our "LE' systems can't.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Faster bounce would be real nice, and I'd use it almost all the time. There's no good reason for its absence.
A 'FREEZE TRACK' function would be nice. Yes, there are workarounds, but they are clumsy.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:46 PM

Hello. Well the reason I asked you if it was for business was to see what effect the LE limitations were having on your business. If they are not having any, then you really don't need LE to have any additional features do you? If it doesn't affect your bottom line in any way, then the additions are not necessary for your business to function properly.

If LE is limiting your business in any way, then I would have to ask why you are using it. Use another software like Nuendo or Logic that will not limit you in any way. Or use them as combination and in addition to PT.

That's why I made the pissing contest comment. If LE doesn't affect your business' bottom line, then by your own admission in the quotes above, you were just jealous, etc, etc.

In business, things are cut and dried. Decisons are pretty much made for you most of the time. If it hurts the business, eliminate it. If it helps it, enhance it and use it. I think the best of all worlds is to add other software to your studio's arsenal. It can't hurt you in any way.

This is not to say that LE shouldn't have any or all of those features. Hey, it should be the exact same software as TDM as far as I am concerned. But your initial comments were telling me that you wanted those things not because your business was suffering from it, but because you were jealous of other people's software.
Quote:
I bought my sytem because it was PRO TOOLS, and I'm pretty sure everyone else got theirs for the same reason --PRO TOOLS--
I think this is refers a little bit to what I am talking about. I don't buy any equipment on name recognition. I test stuff out and use it for whatever need I may have. I couldn't care less if it was the most expensive, or the most popular or as you called it initially, the Top Dawg. Those are elements that do not come into my decision process.

I use Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition now) some times on some projects. It's about $300 or so and in no way is considered the best, the Top Dog or anything. But sometimes it's the best tool for the job. Over Logic or Nuendo or Pro Tools or anything else much more expensive and widely recognized.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:12 PM

but you must buy the name the people know

even if thats not why you buy gear

I think LE should have 24 IO let me fill up my console I could live with 24 tracks as most rock sessions I believe

could 32 voices in the software is fine by me you know you could use clever work arounds but

I dont like to mix in the box but exceed 18 tracks all the time I think delay comp and 24 I/o would pretty much

rock the native world

and lets face it wether we like it or not native is coming up strong
Old 06-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Faster bounce would be real nice, and I'd use it almost all the time. There's no good reason for its absence.
A 'FREEZE TRACK' function would be nice. Yes, there are workarounds, but they are clumsy.
There are actually a few good reasons for it's absence, it's just that you probably don't run into them.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 06-23-2004, 06:15 PM

Hey thanks for your replys Froyo! I DO listen to what you write in your replys! I've been reading up on Nuendo!
And unfortunately in this World we live in, I know a guy who runs Cubase and bands won't go to him because of that. What a crack of bull that is! They see I have Pro Tools and the phone rings!!
I'm just sitting..waiting...for the next P.T.L.E. to see if I'll have to drop $$$ into another software to help out where P.T.L.E. is lacking or stay a exclusive Pro Tools lil' home studio!
Keep the replys' coming fellow users....Digi's reading, I hope they're listening!
Old 06-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Other than external hardware effects, what reasons?

Quote:
Quote:
There are actually a few good reasons for it's absence, it's just that you probably don't run into them.