Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Anyone else been forced to turn their back on the industry?

Good post, philper. I agree with you there. :)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by networker View Post
Universal IS NOT closing their Sound Dept.
Terribly sorry about the misinformation, got secondhand information that they are closing their filmsound department.
Other than that, nice to read a helpful community thread regardless.
Good luck to you all.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM

i have been freelance in this crazy town (los angeles) since 1989 ... ebb and flow is the norm for freelancers here unless you get attached to a show or production or post house ... with a family, i do not think i could handle the stress ... but single, bring it on bitches

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM

It's a roller coaster ride for sure. I started out in theatre so I'm kind of used to the ride. I was in the Bay Area (SF) and post there has just about died as far as big projects go. When I started in film I started in majors then spent some years in ads. Even doing ads I managed to do at least one feature a year and usually some shorts. The low budget stuff doesn't pay well and the ad biz was drying up (for the kinds of spots we would get called for) - it's it's own roller coaster and gets even more up and down than film. The last down swing dove tailed up well with the economy dropping out so...

That said I am still working. More theatre than in the past and a little of this that and the other. It would probably help, maybe, to be in LA. But on the other hand you really have a lot of folks there so breaking in - even if you have a track record - is not easy. A couple of years ago when I was thinking it might be worth it, a friend who has been a supervisor on a bunch of shows told me he had two supervisors working as editors for him on one show. His comment them was "you can't swing a dead cat around here (LA) with out hitting an out of work sound editor".

In our years doing national spots we only had clients come to the place twice, and once they just stopped in on their way to go drinking in the City so they could say they had stopped in. We dealt with everything over the internet and by phone. I think it's more important to be close when work is really tight because you will bump into people. You can compensate a bit by phoning.

I was doing some training in VFX since that looked like maybe a stabler branch of filmmaking and VFX are kind of build up like SFX so it's not quite the gear shift as editing. Anyway glad I didn't commit my self to that move!

Versatility is good, and skills in another field are great.

Good luck and keep your hand in. Things change fast and if you stay out of "shape" very long you will be way behind.