Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Using it and Loving it!

OK,
I was one who was in a bit of sticker shock. I may actually soon be gearing up for a big project so I am very interested in the upgrade.

To the "just try it and you will like it" crowd that is a $1,000 try it that you don't get back if you don't like it so if one does not have deep pockets one would like a bit more of a reason to write the check.

Marti, you say it's a "game changer for post", why?
I'm not complaining and no I haven't used it yet but I always scour the new releases to see if there is enough for post to make it worth while. Looking through the list from Digi the only thing that stood out was clip gain.

Multi format could be a plus but having worked with that (in another application ) it has a dark side. Lack of discipline with folks tossing all kinds of junk in that has to get sorted out later and odd sync issues because of funky codecs. Not saying that this is the case for PT but it has been an issue in the past for others.

So not counting price this is not an upgrade I would have jumped all over. I didn't see a lot for post.

Now speed can't be discounted, so that is the one thing that is making me think it might be worth the price.

And this is not coming from a PT basher. I bought in with PT4 and have gone through every version to PT9 HD. I am a bit concerned about the new direction Avid has taken Digi in terms of customer loyalty, and upgrades etc. But it is still the program I like the best by far for editing.

So other than speed, which I admit is big, what other post features are significant?

As someone said there doesn't seem to be any "I bought it and hated it" posts so that bodes well so I'm assuming I'm over looking something.

So if anyone would elaborate on what killer post functions have been added I would much appreciate it.

I'm assuming from the thread that this could be done with out violating NDAs. If not just say so and I will shut up till it can be discussed. I'm in no rush since early adopting has not been historically a smart move with Pro Tools. I like the leading edge much better than the bleeding one ;~)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Post functions?
disk cache - so you can collaborate on large post projects easier, with alternate shared storage to avid isis
omf/aaf improvements - avid clip gain comes in as clip gain, volume playlist flat, much easier to work with
Clip gain - godsend for dx editors, 36dB pre-plugin gain as opposed to volume auto which is post plugin
32bit plugin architecture - loads of headroom
track count - pt10hd up to 256 voices
field recorder workflows - point outside your session for matches and set specific tracks as guide tracks so you dont get the wrong things matching
field recorder matching is now a background task
24hour timeline - massive for conforming rushes/dailies
12 satellites now available
PT10 supports destructive punch with non-avid hardware
Channel strip is the sound of hollywood film mixing
Save selected tracks as a new session - fabbo for interop
Audiosuite - multiple windows open at once, handles, and metadata is preserved on newly made files so matching still works
Support for interleaved files - import from SFX libraries without making new media, bounce into a 5.1 multichannel BWF to give a single file back to video for tidier workflows.

Its a very post centric release and I'm loving it. :)
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM

OK I realized that "post" was too broad a topic and I'm really talking more about editorial post and mixing small projects, I'm going to a stage for large projects.

With that in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Sydney View Post
Post functions?
disk cache - so you can collaborate on large post projects easier, with alternate shared storage to avid isis
This would be a plus in certain circumstances. The only storage I share regularly is the library and that worked fine before. My drives are plenty fast so? I haven't had a disk too slow error in years, even when working on feature projects with 100+ tracks.

But I can see this being big for a facility.

Quote:
omf/aaf improvements - avid clip gain comes in as clip gain, volume playlist flat, much easier to work with
That is part of having clip gain really. It makes clip gain a bigger plus.

Quote:
Clip gain - godsend for dx editors, 36dB pre-plugin gain as opposed to volume auto which is post plugin
I already mentioned that. So yes that is a plus.

Quote:
32bit plugin architecture - loads of headroom
Hasn't really been a problem. Actually for FX work we occasionally clip regions (clip clips;~) ) intentionally. And it was a pain with (a different app) that used 32 bit exclusively that you couldn't actually clip by over gaining. But I'm sure a plugin will come to the rescue.

Quote:
track count - pt10hd up to 256 voices
Actually as I understand it it's 256 per card so could be 3-4X that.
Big for studios and final mixing, not so much so for editors.

Quote:
field recorder workflows - point outside your session for matches and set specific tracks as guide tracks so you dont get the wrong things matching
field recorder matching is now a background task
OK that I didn't see. Isn't a problem for me right now but I can see the value and it could be important for me later.

Quote:
24hour timeline - massive for conforming rushes/dailies
That is a plus but it is also really a bug fix that is LONG over due

Quote:
12 satellites now available
Big studio workflow plus, but not much for an editor.

Quote:
PT10 supports destructive punch with non-avid hardware
Would be a plus for Native users but we I was talking about the HD upgrade. Since I'm on Digi hardware ...

Quote:
Channel strip is the sound of hollywood film mixing
What is that supposed to mean? With Channel Strip everything I put out will sound like it was done in a big mix stage? I don't think so, and it's a plugin.

Quote:
Save selected tracks as a new session - fabbo for interop
Another one I didn't see listed anywhere. I will definitely score that as a plus. Now if you could have more than one session open at a time...

Quote:
Audiosuite - multiple windows open at once, handles, and metadata is preserved on newly made files so matching still works
Another good point. It's not killing me now but I would pay for that improvement.

Quote:
Support for interleaved files - import from SFX libraries without making new media, bounce into a 5.1 multichannel BWF to give a single file back to video for tidier workflows.
Interleaved file support is nice, but I never work directly from my library so I'm going to be creating new media all the time anyway. And you already can bounce to multichannel files.
But you can probably now record to a multi track file and that is a small time saver. All you need to do now is Save Region as File to generate the interleaved file so the savings are the speed of a file transfer.

Quote:
Its a very post centric release and I'm loving it. :)
It has some things but the big changes as usual are for people creating music.

Thanks for the list it added some to the side of upgrading.

One thing this thread has made me realize is that now that PT is being used to mix more there is really a fork in the "post" users. To me it looks like folks who do a lot of mixing did get some significant pluses, it's on the editorial side that I'm having a harder time seeing a lot of upside.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM

A couple of things that weren't mentioned:

Real-Time Fades: much faster to create and don't take up drive space (no rendered files). Especially beneficial when you've got thousands of fades in a session. Also, mute a file that crossfades with another file and it will mute the underlying audio under the crossfade, and not just pop in/out at that point.

Suppor for mixed bit rates: 16, 24 and 32. Nice to not have to convert something and either lose quality or take up more disk space.

Downmixer Plug-in: with the ability to monitor a 5.1 mix in a stereo environment. Also to edit/prep in 5.1 without having the speaker setup.

ModDelayIII Plug-In: Nice for various reasons, not just for music.

Also a couple of notes on what's been mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
This would be a plus in certain circumstances. The only storage I share regularly is the library and that worked fine before. My drives are plenty fast so? I haven't had a disk too slow error in years, even when working on feature projects with 100+ tracks.

But I can see this being big for a facility.
This makes all sessions much faster with play starts. Click anywhere in a session, and it plays in 1/4 of a second. Overall responsiveness is improved. Also, the ability to store and load sessions off of a server is nice as well.

Quote:
Actually as I understand it it's 256 per card so could be 3-4X that.
Big for studios and final mixing, not so much so for editors.
I think you're getting the features of PT10HD software mixed up with the abilities of the new HDX cards. The cards will have 256 voices per card. Vintage HD is still limited to 192, but Native with CPTK, and HD Native both have the ability of up to 256 voices. Also, as an editor myself, I've definitely had the need for 256+ voices in the past.

Quote:
What is that supposed to mean? With Channel Strip everything I put out will sound like it was done in a big mix stage? I don't think so, and it's a plugin.
ChannelStrip is a great sounding plug-in that emulates the channel strip in the System 5 which has been used to mix many Academy Award winning films. It actually sounds really nice, and if you know how to use it well, you can do some great sounding mixes with it.

Quote:
It has some things but the big changes as usual are for people creating music.
Honestly, there really isn't that much for music. Yeah, a lot of these features do benefit the music makers as well, but this is primarily focused on the post production pro. In fact most of the music guys are going to complain about PT not being 64bit, and VI's still don't work for them.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:14 PM

For me the biggest improvement really is speed and stability. I haven't worked on such a stable PT in years and definitely never on a system that fast. This is worth a lot more than every other feature. Without changing anything in my workflow except using clip based gain. I finished my projects which normally take 6-7 hours, this week an hour earlier which means I am something like 15 % faster. Without changing anything! By Friday the update will have payed itself.

I don't think I will get the same amount off improvement on bigger projects, because importing exporting a so on doesn't take so high percentage of the time spend, but it will be noticeable as well I am sure.

And for me one thing not said at all is that you can finally work with mxf files without converting them. That never really worked before for me. The sessions alway got buggy and slow, but in PT 10 it doesn't seem to make any difference if the files are bwav or mxf. At least in the small sessions I've done so far.

Sebastian
Video Slave 4.3.477
Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 PM

I'm excited about realtime fades and AudioSuite handles together. This will significantly speed up my workflow.

Imagine two regions that are crossfaded, one of which you would like to AudioSuite.

With my old workflow I'd...

1) Drag the region to be affected to another track,
2) extend the top and tail,
3) use AudioSuite,
3a) optionally, use another audio suite plugin, closing the first one.
4) trim the top and tail of the region,
5) drag the region back to the original track
6) rebuild the fades.

In the new workflow I...

1) use any of the several AudioSuite windows I have open.

Next!

I'm starting a 10 part series this week. I hope to have recouped more than the expense in time saved by the end of the series.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 AM

Just opened a huge FX-session that takes many minutes to open on 9.x
On 10 it takes 10-12 seconds!!

nice one!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Sydney View Post
Brent, what exactly do you mean by setting specific tracks as guide tracks?
Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundworx View Post
Brent, what exactly do you mean by setting specific tracks as guide tracks?
Thanks
If you right click on for example your main dialog track (or the layout from the cutter) You can define that as the master track for fieldreorder tracks and when you import the data it is already cut and layed out propperly according to the cuts in your fieldrecorder master track.

Sebastian
Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 AM

I want it... But I'm on HD Accel and "might" upgrade to HDX and don't want to waste 800 euro buying it twice...

And then there's Native... I only mix and I wonder if the latency is acceptable for VO and the occasional ADR-line...

I find it confusing