Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Plugins & new careers

I was an free intern / underpaid assistant at a studio for about 6 years before I sat in front of a client and pushed the buttons. I made dubs, ran packages, cleaned windows and got cappuccinos. Those were the building blocks to a successful audio career for most of us here I'm sure
Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
I was an free intern / underpaid assistant at a studio for about 6 years before I sat in front of a client and pushed the buttons. I made dubs, ran packages, cleaned windows and got cappuccinos. Those were the building blocks to a successful audio career for most of us here I'm sure
Yes, correct.
But this only illustrates how bad the human nature is. Still many of "so called civil people" are looking fro slaves.
I think it boosts their self esteem perhaps.

I never leave any intern unpaid. Never ask him to make me a coffee and clean the studio. In fact I often can offer him a coffee too (if I make for myself)...
But I am very strict to what I require (maybe even too much, but it's me).
And if a person doesn't professionally grow in a time frame I defined, well I just don't keep him. I think it makes sense for both of us?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 09-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Wow. Good stuff

I was an unpaid intern at a little studio after college. Did some on site recordings, recorded some bands, mixed, edited, most high school band stuff. Obviously that is no where enough experience for anyone to look at my resume, by anyway this is great advice. I'm trying to atleast stay up to par in the audio world, read mags and blogs and forums like this.

And thanks, I will check out those plug ins. I know it's not much, but it's a start.

Since I have some interest here, how big of a factor is location when job searching. I'm from Buffalo NY, and needless to say, I have been to all 3 (yes three) studios in the area, and not have anything open. My internship was very impressed with me, and would defiantly hire me, yet there were no spots open, and they were cutting back. ( and yes, I know alot of internships say that), but if I could, and I can, move anywhere for this at this point in my life, where is the best place to load up the station wagon and head off into the sunset?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM

And if I were to go Ear Holes route, I assume you had a second job, or lived with someone to help support you, working 6 years at a place and being only paid in smiles and experience.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicleB76 View Post
And if I were to go Ear Holes route, I assume you had a second job, or lived with someone to help support you, working 6 years at a place and being only paid in smiles and experience.
Post and music are very different animals. Your probably not going to get into post by being an unpaid intern. Maybe but I haven't run into that many interns in the post world. Location is important and your close to NYC which is probably the second to LA in post so it's not a bad place to be.

You might learn about post for free though. Find out what low budget films are posting close to you and phone them up and volunteer.

IF you manage to get something in a post place it's going to be either as an assistant or as some other support position. That part is like music. Nobody is going to hire you as an editor, and you probably don't want to work anyplace that would. But if you can get in where you can absorb how post works your in a much better position to land a better job in post.

The big key is to keep letting people know your there and want to work with them.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Oh, plugins.

Rx would be high on the list after that the Massey L2007 is a constant but TL Space is pricier so I would probably opt for that then buy the Massey plugins.

Back to your post goal. I would get familiar with Filemaker Pro, Excel, and Word. As an assistant those were in semi constant use.