Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 AM

Default RTAS plugs lock to bypass mode

Hi,

Been having this problem in some projects where im only able to use a couple of RTAS plugins before they begin to appear in bypass mode when loaded and i cant switch them out of it. This has also happened when trying to run multiple rewire channels into protools from either reason or ableton live. Am i missing something obvious here? The computer is not maxing out in these projects and i can still add TDM plugs when this happens. Also it happens with bundled protools plugs as well as third party plugins. I'm confused. Today i couldnt use more than two RTAS plugins at any one time in my project, and i have a dualcore system!! Any ideas??

Thanks,
James
Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Re: RTAS plugs lock to bypass mode

rtas plugs will go into bypass when trying to record. is this your problem?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
rtas plugs will go into bypass when trying to record. is this your problem?
No this is not the problem. All our channels are however, always , monitor enabled. Our default setup has 48 tracks monitored from a Nuendo system where everything is recorded. I already have a couple of RTAS plugs inserted on monitor enabled tracks and they work fine so this is obviously not the problem. Any more than 2, however, and it doesnt like it. If i take one of these plugs out (remove not bypass) i can insert another plugin elsewhere. What the hell?? Makes it impossible for rewire, then again rewire in Pro Tools is a bad joke to begin with.

Thanks,
James
Old 12-05-2007, 04:37 PM

Sorry if this is too obvious, but you know that RTAS plugins will take up two voices if you are monitoring them, right? Have you tried increasing the number of voices in the Playback engine?

I use a lot of RTAS guitar modeling plugins, and usually just instantiate the 1 band DigiRack EQ TDM in slot #1 to enable real time monitoring of the RTAS plug.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Hi MDog,

No its not too obvious! Im more experienced using Cubase and Ableton Live and working with the the VST format, where things work a little differently, so such things are news to me. Our standard template is already rather CPU intensive in that we have 40+ tracks and, unfortunately, almost evrything needs to be monitor enabled because its playing back from the Nuendo system. I will look into those methods you described.

Cheers,
James
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 PM

OK, si checked the number of voices i am using and it is the maximum possible (128 - 4 DSPs). I tried your method of inserting a TDM plug and then insrting an RTAS plug and this seemed to work. However, surely i should not have to do this just evry time just to run a few RTAS plugins?! I thought RTAS plugs were dependent on the CPU more than anything? I only have a few RTAS plugs on monitor-enabled tracks. Most tracks have no plugins inserted. In any event having tracks monitored enabled or not doesnt seem to affect this problem. BTW, i am only using effect plugins here, no instruments.

Thanks,
James
Old 12-05-2007, 06:24 PM

OK again,

I dont seem to have any problem with a small project with only 8 tracks loaded. At looks as though our template is just too much for our system having RTAS plugs as well? This is strange in that you can load a [bleep] of VST plugs in other sequencers while monitoring tracks in large projects on a system such as this. Is this a pro tools issue or my system do you think?

regards,
James
Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 PM

There was time not too long ago that you couldn't monitor an RTAS plugin in realtime at all!

As far as I understand it, they have to route the native RTAS audio through the TDM mixer. That's why you need to instantiate a TDM plug first. It serves as an "input" to the internal TDM mixer. So now you have one voice as the "input" and one voice for the track. I probably have it all technically wrong, but that's how I understand it.

You only need a TDM plug if you're monitoring in realtime. If you're just mixing you can use the RTAS plug by itself.

I don't know why you're unable to use more RTAS plugs. I suspect that your template may not be set up correctly? I have a 2GHZ quad core AMD system and get a [bleep]load of RTAS plugs before I run in to trouble. So many that it really isn't an issue with me at all.

Hope this helps, and I hope you get it figured out.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Hmmm, thats interesting...

Yes we have an unusual template in that we have to monitor enable all the tracks because its the Nuendo system where evrything gets put down, and which is synced via smpte as master to pro tools. All Pro Tools is basically doing in our setup is monitoring when recording. I dont really get into the mix until everything has been recorded into Pro Tools. It would be nice to be able to do this at any stage. Unfortunately this is how things are setup and i dont have much choice about it. We usually end up having to record things up until the final stages of the mix. I guess im just gonna have to wait till evrythings down in tools to use plugins and delete unecessary tracks wherever possible - and load up on TDM EQ1's as much as possible. Makes it really difficult for using rewire however.

Regards,
James