Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Eleven Rack Impedance and Live Setup help (New Here)

I just bought the Eleven Rack... I really want to make this work. I have a QSC K12 and a Radial JDV.
Question 1.
A non-avid tech rep told me of I go amp out of the Eleven Rack to input of the QSC or Radial I do not have the correct impedance. He said I must use the Main outputs on the Eleven Rack to the line inputs on the QSC. He suggest using an XLR to 1/4' cable going to the QSC and said if I go XLR to XLR I may activate the Mic preamp section of the QSC and the signal would be too hot, but isn't that what the Mic/line switch is for on the QSC?
But if I go this route I would have to use the outputs on the QSC to go to the house and not use the Radial JDV. So to some things up do I use an XLR to XLR cable or an XLR to 1/4" as suggested and ditch the Radial?

Question 2.
I really wanted to use a Damage Control unit last so the Eleven Rack was getting a nice tube buffer at the end before going to the Radial JDV... I really am not sure what the best option would be at this point or if it will work do to the above question...

Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Angry Re: Eleven Rack Impedance and Live Setup help (New Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricfiddle View Post
I just bought the Eleven Rack... I really want to make this work. I have a QSC K12 and a Radial JDV.
Question 1.
A non-avid tech rep told me of I go amp out of the Eleven Rack to input of the QSC or Radial I do not have the correct impedance. He said I must use the Main outputs on the Eleven Rack to the line inputs on the QSC. He suggest using an XLR to 1/4' cable going to the QSC and said if I go XLR to XLR I may activate the Mic preamp section of the QSC and the signal would be too hot, but isn't that what the Mic/line switch is for on the QSC?
But if I go this route I would have to use the outputs on the QSC to go to the house and not use the Radial JDV. So to some things up do I use an XLR to XLR cable or an XLR to 1/4" as suggested and ditch the Radial?
First: don't take any more advice from this so-called tech rep. He's wrong on virtually every count. Let me guess: he's sold you (or is trying to sell you) all these extra things you need to make the "proper" connections, isn't he...?

Run XLR cables from the main outs of the Eleven Rack to the inputs on your K12.

Actually, if you're willing to program your Eleven Rack patches for mono output (there's a mono/stereo button on the output block of the signal chain page), you can get by with one cable. The K12 has two inputs and an internal mixer, so you can run two cables if you want to preserve the stereo output of your patches (say, for recording or running to stereo mains on a PA).

You absolutely don't need the direct box. If you only bought the Radial for use with the Eleven Rack, you can return it and put the money back in your pocket.

You, of course, are absolutely correct regarding the purpose of the mic/line switch on the K12. Set it to "line". Or if you decide to run a mono signal from the Eleven Rack, just use the other input of the K12.

BTW, I advise caution when trying out the K12 for the first time with a line-level signal. Start with the K12's gain controls all the way down and bring them up to the desired level. The K12s can hurt you if you let them get too loud. Not an exaggeration...

Quote:
Question 2.
I really wanted to use a Damage Control unit last so the Eleven Rack was getting a nice tube buffer at the end before going to the Radial JDV... I really am not sure what the best option would be at this point or if it will work do to the above question...

Thanks for the help!!
Again: This is an unnecessary hack. You're probably used to hobbyist-grade modelers that might benefit from a "warming" device. The Eleven Rack doesn't need this.

Run XLRs from the Eleven Rack's main outputs to your board or powered monitor. That's all you really need.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Impedance and Live Setup help (New Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
First: don't take any more advice from this so-called tech rep. He's wrong on virtually every count. Let me guess: he's sold you (or is trying to sell you) all these extra things you need to make the "proper" connections, isn't he...?

Run XLR cables from the main outs of the Eleven Rack to the inputs on your K12.

Actually, if you're willing to program your Eleven Rack patches for mono output (there's a mono/stereo button on the output block of the signal chain page), you can get by with one cable. The K12 has two inputs and an internal mixer, so you can run two cables if you want to preserve the stereo output of your patches (say, for recording or running to stereo mains on a PA).

You absolutely don't need the direct box. If you only bought the Radial for use with the Eleven Rack, you can return it and put the money back in your pocket.

You, of course, are absolutely correct regarding the purpose of the mic/line switch on the K12. Set it to "line". Or if you decide to run a mono signal from the Eleven Rack, just use the other input of the K12.

BTW, I advise caution when trying out the K12 for the first time with a line-level signal. Start with the K12's gain controls all the way down and bring them up to the desired level. The K12s can hurt you if you let them get too loud. Not an exaggeration...

Again: This is an unnecessary hack. You're probably used to hobbyist-grade modelers that might benefit from a "warming" device. The Eleven Rack doesn't need this.

Run XLRs from the Eleven Rack's main outputs to your board or powered monitor. That's all you really need.
Thanks for the reply man... So Eleven Rack XLR Left and Right out to QSC's XLR's Left and Right set to Line, then house gets the Balanced Mix via QSC's XLR out?
Then how do I use my Boomerang III looper in this setup? Last in the effects loop?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply man... So Eleven Rack XLR Left and Right out to QSC's XLR's Left and Right set to Line, then house gets the Balanced Mix via QSC's XLR out?
Exactly. Or if you need to run a stereo mix to the house (really only useful and suitable in small venues that have stereo mains), run two XLRs from the stage jacks on the K12 to the stage box.

Quote:
Then how do I use my Boomerang III looper in this setup? Last in the effects loop?
Thanks
Yah, it'd typically be in the loop. The loop position would depend on how you want to use the Boomerang in relation to the rest of the signal chain, e.g. whether you want effects on the Boomerang's output or you want to loop the effects. (I tend to prefer the former, but it's just a preference. Do whatever works for you.)

Make sure you set the loop level switch to "stompbox" at the rear of the Eleven Rack.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Exactly. Or if you need to run a stereo mix to the house (really only useful and suitable in small venues that have stereo mains), run two XLRs from the stage jacks on the K12 to the stage box.

Yah, it'd typically be in the loop. The loop position would depend on how you want to use the Boomerang in relation to the rest of the signal chain, e.g. whether you want effects on the Boomerang's output or you want to loop the effects. (I tend to prefer the former, but it's just a preference. Do whatever works for you.)

Make sure you set the loop level switch to "stompbox" at the rear of the Eleven Rack.
Thanks again.
So if I wanted to keep this SIMPLE. I could run the 11r XLR Main Output Left to the QSC and the 11r XLR Main Output Right to the house? :)

And I want to use the X-toic Xblender in the 11r loop with all my effects... I don't see where that would be a problem...

:)
Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Guitar, Bass, Cittern, Bouzouki, & Keys. Diamond, Strymon, Neunaber Technology, Lovepedal, Paul C., Boomerang, Sonic Research, Boss, DTS, Radial, EHX, TC Electronic, Xotic, Tech 21, and Damage Control Pedals.
Eleven Rack
Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks again.
So if I wanted to keep this SIMPLE. I could run the 11r XLR Main Output Left to the QSC and the 11r XLR Main Output Right to the house? :)
If you do that, change all of your patch output blocks to mono. Otherwise you'll split the stereo effects between your stage monitor and the house.

Quote:
And I want to use the X-toic Xblender in the 11r loop with all my effects... I don't see where that would be a problem...
Nor do I.