Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2003, 10:21 PM

Default iTunes Music Store

So what do you all think.

Good for the music industry or bad.

I like the simplicity and fair pricing.

Not crazy about the reduced quality (although better than mp3)

I think some artist will get hurt.

It would be nice if some independents could buy some add space so some artists could keep a big chunk of that $.99

I would also like to see some free downloads for multiple purchases or just to promote new artists.

I like the 30 sec audition.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Re: iTunes Music Store

Might start a whole new trend of artists releasing single songs between albums. That would be appealing to many artists I bet.

It is so addictively quick and easy to buy songs.

If Apple really wants to double their revenues, I think they should hurry up and finish itunes for windows.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:46 AM

i think it's brilliant for consumers. I don't mind the quality, sure I'd prefer 192/96 but the sad truth is that I have little time to sit in front of good monitors in rapt attention any more. Besides as bandwidth, disk sizes, and better encoding etc., become more ubiquitous sound quality will get better.

Even now, if done well most AACs will sound as good as the source material on a lot of back catalog.

Ahhhhhh the hits of the 50's 60's and 70's. If it was available here I would have bought 30 songs on my first visit that I will never buy if I am forced to go buy re-issues on CDs.

The other thing I think will take off is the idea of the Artist Page as promotional material. You know if I was a recording artist I'd be banging on my record companies door right now wanting to know what I have to do to get one of those feature pages that directs you to video, exclusive tracks, or webpage. That's where I see some real marketing opportunities for artist's and record companies.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:40 AM

The results are yet to be seen, but I view them as promising. It should curb the file sharing out of convenience because it will be an even better service and the price is nothing really.

I give it 2 thumbs up on first glance...

I like the suggestion to get indy's on there..
Old 05-01-2003, 11:26 AM

What is going to keep people from buying a song from Apple and then sharing it through a Napster-like program? Is there any copy protection on these AAC files?
Old 05-01-2003, 06:37 PM

Yes it is copy protected.

You can only play it on three different computers.

And you can only burn 10 cd's from an identical playlist
Old 05-22-2003, 05:15 AM

Well, I wrote to them asking when it was going to be available to the UK and how I could get our label's output on there, no reply so far ...
Old 05-22-2003, 05:14 PM

I think that anything d/loaded from the net does not have any value whatsoever.

When you buy a CD, you have design, solid thing in hand and you can sell it later because still holds some value. Many people will value design, photography, particular order of songs and general feel of CD held in hand. In case of vinyl’s these big covers were sometimes fantastic and I feel that they are missed today.

You can d/load 5000 songs and pay $5000 for them and for your neighbor is worth nothing.

IMHO such ideas are doomed and will never take off.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:32 PM

I think the idea is great and I am thinking about doing an indy site for gospel music with a simiar aproach. however, I will continue to offer CDs because I still thik that traditional media will be around for a long time. I still like the idea of having a CD and I am even thinking about selling printable graphics that downloaders can use for their own CDs.
I do wonder though if it is possible to sell the music that you buy though.
Also, I do think that it will put a big hit on Napster like programs because it is much easier than any of those are and much, much more reliable.
As far as piracy goes, I think the whole idea is to make it so that it just isn't worth 99¢ to go to all of the trouble to copy the stuff. All you have to do is burn it to a CD and then rip it back into iTunes as an MP3 and you are set to share it with anyone. I have not tried, but you may even be able to convert it directly without even burning it first. But the point is that there is some hassle involved and there just isn't any hassle with buying the stuff.
Over all it is just a great idea I think.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:00 PM

Kids do not have a conscience. If is possible to get it for free, they will always go for it. Regardless the price you will put on legal downloads.

Also, kids love to do something against the rules. Another reason to copy for free from Kazaa or WinMX.

The future at this moment is in DVD 5.1.

The car is the best natural environment. Just add DVD player instead of CD.

Also, home theatre with DVD is more and more popular and music on DVD in 5.1
will be an very attractive offer.

Hard to copy for most and… released with nice cover and some printed pamphlets and posters, lyrics and other stuff.

Can be added the web page to DVD, which you can browse, read lyrics on screen, have karaoke, bio of artist, video clips, some interviews etc.

That’s where the music industry should go.

Less mediocre, more quality program. Forget one hit wonders. Promote more the artist, not so much the music.

Make an artist an icon.

Fans will wait for the next DVD.

And of course that is a great value for the money.

FWIW