Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 AM

Default Open Letter to Avid

A few days ago, i became very interested on purchasing an Eleven Rack after listening to a local fusion jazz player through it, and the sounds that come out of it bought me off almost immediately. Although, when I started investigating around about this unit, the alienation and lack of communication between Avid and the Eleven Rack User Community tremendously discouraged my urge to get my hands on this. I’ve gone through 15 or more pages on this forum and i don’t understand why so many inquiries regarding the future of the unit have not been answered as of yet (to my limited knowledge on the matter) and how a company of the likes of Avid virtually abandoned a product that even after years still sounds and performs incredibly up to par against today’s offerings.

Why Avid? Why not refreshing a unit that has aged so well with a new firmware update and/or even at the very least give it the promised and supposedly almost finished but never delivered IR Impulse loader? Why ignore your users? Shoot, you could even release the source code to the firmware so that someone who cares continues developing it. I’m not even an Eleven Rack and/or Avid products user as of yet, and will eventually end up buying an 11R anyway because I can’t justify an Axe FX and will not buy Line 6 gear ever again, but it bothers me that the community has been neglected in such an obvious way and surprises me that a group effort hasn’t been done to bring these inquires to Avid in a form of a petition letter or something along those lines. As I possess very limited knowledge on the matter, please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but from where I’m standing it seems this way.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Open Letter to Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonSolus View Post
..... please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but from where I’m standing it seems this way.
You're wrong. A few weeks ago, a driver update was released and after installing it, it made my life so much easier. I can open pro tools 8 first and then open Cubase and the driver works perfectly! I can edit the patches in Pro tools (8 that I just bought separately on Ebay for around $50) and at the same time I can use the driver to record In Cubase with the option of Reamping as I record a an additional dry track.

I just bought my ELeven Rack about a couple of months ago brand new. I was able to sell pro tools 10 as it's bundled with it since I already use cubase.

As of today, the Eleven Rack sounds better than anything under 1000 dollars. I have a Pod HD 500 and it sounds great, but not as realistic as ELeven. Line 6 is coming out with HD500X that has extra horsepower with double CPU processing power but the modeling still remains the same. As I own the HD modeling which is considered current, I know for a fact that the sound quality of the ELeven is better and this is not just a personal opinion, you can hear the clarity and the additional definition when playing the Eleven that I no longer use my HD for amp models. In conclusion, you really should buy the Eleven if you're interested in a product that has the best sound quality under 1k. Think of it as an amp, if you find an amp sound that you like, do you buy the new amp released later because they updated a few knobs!?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM

well deansy at least they could fix the known bugs that the unit have since day 1
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophersad View Post
well deansy at least they could fix the known bugs that the unit have since day 1
I am not aware of any bugs so far, I'm sure there might be some bugs, but for me what matters most is the quality of the modeling. Even if there was no driver I can edit the patches from the front panels with almost the same speed as the software editor. there will always be wishlists.

I think Avid should fix bugs that they're aware of, but let's face it and be truthful, the Eleven Rack is a fully functional great sounding device for recording and live use. Even the OP clearly stated that he liked the sound he heard from someone using the Eleven Rack in a Jaz setting. Obviously there are many happy users, so to write off the product completely for a bug here and there is not an accurate representation and doesn't make any sense. There have been workarounds in almost all kinds of gear as long as they sound good, that's the number one priority.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 PM

well the fact that it sound good(for the money) doesnt make up for bugs not being fixed in 6/7 years,one of the mentioned bug also give problems for live use/monitoring,but there are more,not saying its a bad unit expecially for the money,but digi support ,policy and bugs sux a lot
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Also, in my experience, it is tough to judge "user community" in totallity from forums like this as they tend to have negative tonality almost always. Probably hundreds of satisified users who never even posted or visited this site as the 11R does what they need and well.

(I am not discounting issues discussed here as I too would like a stand-alone editor and VSTi driver.)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 PM

This notion that a product to produce music "is dead because it's doesn't get updates" seems silly and contrived!! That isn't even the case here. Pro tools 11 will work with Eleven and it's being worked out as we speak. It works with Pro tools ten which is up to date. A driver update was just released! Even if it doesn't get updates, doesn't it sound good enough to be printed on records and played Live? The answer is Yes. If you don't like the sound, then the answer is no in that situation. I don't know why people seem to think that an effect processor/modeler is like a business or entertainment computer that needs updates.

To the OP, if you like the sound as you heard it, what are you concerned with if the product gets update or it doesn't? Aren't you buying it for the way it sound today? Or are you investing into how it will sound into the future and expecting a return on investment similar to buying a boutique amp? when you know what product will serve your needs, you can clearly see whether the Eleven is for you or not.

I know I bought mine mainly for what I heard from reviews as something that has killer amp models. When I got it, from day one I was prepared to send it back if I didn't like the sound. But I did like the sound of it,and the bonus was that it can double as an audio interface, as well as an excellent live performer as you can easily edit the patches without the need for a computer....
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM

There are other issues aside from "liking the sound", IMO. No one's complaining that their 11r sounds any worse than the day they bought it.

It's not just about adding new features to it either. Let's call attention to the bugs (XTC model, Dyn3 Comp, MIDI CC menu, etc) that have been acknowledged by Avid and have gone untouched. Let's keep in mind the buggy OSX driver and the fact that many of us have to reboot in order to use our device correctly.

Then let's consider all the posts on ideascale; amps and FX aside, a lot of them easy to implement, a lot of them discussed at length for years between both users and Avid personell (many of which aren't on payroll anymore). These in addition to the recent silence from Avid make 11r's future seem pretty gloomy.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM

A driver update in 3 years? Deano, like most people who have had this thing since day one and not just a few months, for the money we originally paid,it is a slap in the face to get just a driver update.

I had to replace 3 of these units in the early days because of the dreaded clock issue, plus known bugs..... The list goes on. To correct you, because your wrong, this unit is dead, has been since the ERXP, which was a paid upgrade that users of 'a few months' get included in the cost. OP, save your money and get the AFX2.
A driver update?? Seriously.
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonSolus View Post
I’m not even an Eleven Rack and/or Avid products user as of yet, and will eventually end up buying an 11R anyway
That's playing into their plan perfectly.

Quote:
but it bothers me that the community has been neglected in such an obvious way
It doesn't bother them. You're buying their product despite your misgivings. Their job is done. You got to pay more to get more. They know that.

Imagine having spent >$1000 on this sucker.