Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 AM

Default Can one midi or instrument track, trigger, multiple instrument tracks simultaneously?

Hello,

Is there a way I can have one midi track or one instrument track, trigger/control five instruments tracks simultaneously on Pro Tools? Because I can trigger one track at-a-time (no problem), but not two or three, etc.

Lets say I have FIVE different instruments instantiated in Pro Tools - in FIVE different tracks. When I route the Midi channel (on an instrument track or midi track), I can only control one instrument-at-time - because of the options. For example: inst 1; inst 2; inst 3; inst 4; inst 5, ARE LISTED - but, I can only pick one of ‘these’ - and what I want to do is to trigger all FIVE at once! (good for parallel motion and- the-like!)

You can implement this feature on Ableton (on a trigger track) - but can it be done in Pro Tools.

Obviously, this method is easier - whilst EDITING - because you only have to edit the ONE track - instead of FIVE!

Is there something in the midi configuration i’m missing here somewhere?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Can one midi or instrument track, trigger, multiple instrument tracks simultaneou

On the Mac Control-click on the MIDI output assignment to add additional outputs. For Windows I think Start-click (Win-click).
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Can one midi or instrument track, trigger, multiple instrument tracks simultaneou

Yes. Read up on midi channels. You just assign the midi track to the channels you want fed. Then make sure the VST or AAX instrument is on that channel. I put strings swells behind piano parts in Protools as well as multi instrument parts and use a single midi track to control them all. Helps to load all the instruments first then the instruments should show up in the channel view.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:42 AM

Thanks ChuckS - that's what I wanted.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Thanks Phil.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:33 AM

This goes for track outputs and sends too: ctrl-click (mac) an output or send to send to additional destinations. Very useful.